cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$15.00/month plan questions

Connie19
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My husband is considering leaving his current pay and talk plan for the $15.00 Public Mobile plan.  I have a few questions....

1) does the referral code work with a spouse to spouse referral?  He is completely new to Public.

2) the 100 minutes are monthly.  If unused from month to month, do they roll into the next month, or does it reset each month?

3) does unlimited incoming calls mean that if he receives a call and talks for a while, it does not use his 100 monthly minutes?

Thank you

31 REPLIES 31

@darlicious stop making sandwich references I'm getting Hangry! lol

ravendancer

great ...thanks!

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Connie19, I think it would be a smart idea that your husband downgrades on his plan sooner than later. I know I saved $25 per month, and with COVID19, at least 3 or 4 months, that's $100 in savings. 

Just tell the hubby to change the plan on the renewal date so that you don't lose anything from the previous plan. For example, if his plan was just renewed yesterday, and he paid $40. And he changes his plan to now, he pays another $15 and still pays the $40. And nope, no refunds either!

But, if he changes it to the renewal date, he still has usage of the $40 plan until his next renewal date. And then it gets to the $15.

In doubt, buy the extra $5 for 500 minutes as an add-on along with the $15 for 1 gig of add-on just in case, when you need it most.

Supposedly, in the lounge as per @fdrcamb519 post, there is a deal for vouchers for 20% off. I didn't buy it, but some have. I am always skeptical of websites that can offer such as a good deal, would they take my credit card information for something else? Why does this website offer such a great deal, but NOT Public Mobile? It makes you think!?

For that matter, you should consider doing this for your plan too. 

@darlicious wrote:

Most 1-800 type numbers are not counted

Most? Let me know if you find any that are counted!

@ravendancer 

You have nothing to worry about when it comes to incoming...from anything and everywhere. The only call you can't recieve are collect calls. Outgoing minutes are billed by any portion of the minute. So a 10 second call and a 55 second call all count as 1 minute. As do calls to your voicemail so use a different phone if possible to call voicemail. Most 1-800 type numbers are not counted (use the search bar...type in toll free calls and a thread with a tested list will pop up most likely by @Nezgar ) and any long distance call outside of Canada needs an add on.  $15/400 min international the US and 18 other countries all other countries not listed require a independent calling card. Extra Canada wide minutes purchase the $5/500 min add on (only $0.01 per min!)

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ravendancer No incoming calls from US or anywhere long distance is free. When family in Italy calls me I don't get charged. They do. Every phone works like tha

ravendancer

I am assuming that these unlimited incoming calls which do not go against our minutes are not calls coming from the U.S., only in Canada?

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite  I appreciate all the extra effort you put in trying to select solutions...and putting yourself in the OP's shoes is a great perspective to choose from and very open faced you.

I thought I was the only one that noticed Luddite's dedication. I love receiving bravos and solutions for my old posts Smiley Wink

@Luddite wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite  (accepted a solution) Lol....i guess I can't win with short answer or the long answer! Why does the filling in a sandwich always get All the attention? The bread plays a vital role in achieving satisfaction. Without those two slices all you have is filler...served up on a plate.

Well, my judgment is ceratinly not infallible. When the originator has declined to pick one, I try to imagine a novice with the same problem rummaging for the answer and make a guess which is optimum. Though I do admit a preference for concise over verbose. 

@Luddite  I appreciate all the extra effort you put in trying to select solutions...and putting yourself in the OP's shoes is a great perspective to choose from and very open faced you. I dont want you to feel panini pressed into explaining yourself. You're a hero in my eyes!

Why am I so hungry........?

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite  (accepted a solution) Lol....i guess I can't win with short answer or the long answer! Why does the filling in a sandwich always get All the attention? The bread plays a vital role in achieving satisfaction. Without those two slices all you have is filler...served up on a plate.

Well, my judgment is ceratinly not infallible. When the originator has declined to pick one, I try to imagine a novice with the same problem rummaging for the answer and make a guess which is optimum. Though I do admit a preference for concise over verbose. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Connie19 wrote:

My husband is considering leaving his current pay and talk plan for the $15.00 Public Mobile plan.  I have a few questions....

1) does the referral code work with a spouse to spouse referral?  He is completely new to Public.

2) the 100 minutes are monthly.  If unused from month to month, do they roll into the next month, or does it reset each month?

3) does unlimited incoming calls mean that if he receives a call and talks for a while, it does not use his 100 monthly minutes?

Thank you

Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan

If you want to be frugal and flexible this is my suggestion.

Buy the $15 monthly plan.

For add-ons.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on s less cost per minute than than the $8 add-on (<=less value) and the $15 add-on does same and much more than the $8 add-on (<=less value). 

iPhoneUser

@Anonymous wrote:

@iPhoneUser wrote:

By $8 and $5 plan you mean add-ons?

Yes addons of which the balance rolls over month to month TIL finished. And if you take the freebies you only have to buy the 2 x $5 plans for total of 1000 Canada wide minutes. 

I think Ed404 was just doing a little polite wording hinting. There are plans and then there are add-ons. Add-ons aren't plans.

Oops sorry will fix. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@iPhoneUser wrote:

Yes addons of which the balance rolls over month to month TIL finished. And if you take the freebies you only have to buy the 2 x $5 plans for total of 1000 Canada wide minutes. 

I think Ed404 was just doing a little polite wording hinting. There are plans and then there are add-ons. Add-ons aren't plans.

iPhoneUser

@Ed404 wrote:

@iPhoneUser wrote:

For the $15 plan addons could I suggest. 

Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 plan

Buy the $15 plan.

For add-ons.

2 x $5 plan (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 plan (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutesadd-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 plan. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

1 x $8 plan (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

=======

$33 Total

Note the $5, $8, and $15 plan would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 plans, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 plan......buy another $5 plan.

The $15 plan is less cost per minute than than the $8 plan (<=less value) and the $15 plan does same and much more than the $8 plan (<=less value). 

Ed404

@iPhoneUser wrote:

For the $15 plan addons could I suggest. 

Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 plan

Buy the $15 plan.

For add-ons.

1 x $15 plan (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutesadd-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 plan. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

1 x $8 plan (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

=======

$33 Total

Note the $5, $8, and $15 plan would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 plans, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 plan......buy another $5 plan.

The $15 plan is less cost per minute than than the $8 plan (<=less value) and the $15 plan does same and much more than the $8 plan (<=less value). 

iPhoneUser

R E V I S E D

Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan

Buy the $15 monthly plan.

For add-ons.

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes

=======

$33 Total

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on s less cost per minute than than the $8 add-on (<=less value) and the $15 add-on does same and much more than the $8 add-on (<=less value). 

@Ed404  I wouldn't charge someone to borrow my phone generally but if someone needs to call overseas for half an hour I wouldnt say no to a few dollars. Im a generous person at heart and am willing to help most people but at times im on a very tight budget so while im not trying to make money on it just not cost me any either.Maybe it's a generational thing or just the people you happen to meet in life but not everyone's family back "home" has the access or the means to use all of modern technology but most have access to either a cellphone or landline.

Ed404

@darlicious wrote:

@Ed404  We are a nation built on immigration. If you have a friend or colleague  who needs to phone family, friends or has to talk to local business in their home country. Many people's own phones providers charge much more expensive rates for international calling. You loan them your phone for a 10 or 15 minute call and charge them a couple of dollars. They save and you "save" (recover) money. It's easy to track how many minutes they use by logging into your account before they call and you know you won't get a surprise bill with extra charges on it.

I haven't seen anyone doing this before. Usually when you let someone borrow your phone to make a call you don't make them pay for it. Maybe it's because everyone I know still has a landline and long distance calling isn't very expensive that way.

Nowadays people can just use the internet and video call anyone anywhere in the world as long as there's internet! 

@Ed404  We are a nation built on immigration. If you have a friend or colleague  who needs to phone family, friends or has to talk to local business in their home country. Many people's own phones providers charge much more expensive rates for international calling. You loan them your phone for a 10 or 15 minute call and charge them a couple of dollars. They save and you "save" (recover) money. It's easy to track how many minutes they use by logging into your account before they call and you know you won't get a surprise bill with extra charges on it.

Ed404

@darlicious wrote:

Or you can  "sell" them when the opportunity presents itself. Anyhow...its time for my Evian bath.

How do you sell them?

@darlicious wrote:

@Ed404  Yes there's the free add on but those minutes are $0.04/min compared to $0.01. If you dont think you would ever call anyone outside of canada ever...than by all means use them up. I would rather have a lifetimes worth of international calling than waste them on what might end up being local calling minutes. Would you use your bottle of 25yr old Johnny walker blue to make a whiskey and coke?  Or you can  "sell" them when the opportunity presents itself. Anyhow...its time for my Evian bath.

@darlicious , I understand your point but it made me chuckle the free but equal $0.04/min.  Free would mean they are $0.00 to use, but your replacement cost would be the $0.04

ETA:  A gift of 25yr old Johnny Walker Blue should never be compared to 400 calling minutes lol 🤣

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Connie19   Hey I can relate...i had my SIM in a flip phone for my first month with pm but once a switched my second line I ditched the flip phone and put both Sims in my dual SIM smartphone  and finally embraced the 21st century. It can happen....and the flip phone is still a great back up.

I wasn't a big texter either but I bet your husband hates it on his phone....he 'll embrace the smartphone in no time....

@Ed404  Yes there's the free add on but those minutes are $0.04/min compared to $0.01. If you dont think you would ever call anyone outside of canada ever...than by all means use them up. I would rather have a lifetimes worth of international calling than waste them on what might end up being local calling minutes. Would you use your bottle of 25yr old Johnny walker blue to make a whiskey and coke?  Or you can  "sell" them when the opportunity presents itself. Anyhow...its time for my Evian bath.

Ed404

@popping wrote:

For the month he needs more than 100 outgoing minutes, he can get the $5 500 minutes add-on.  BTW, add-on minutes does not expire.  Any unused minutes will be rolled over to next 30 days cycle until completely used.

Why would he needs more minutes, they have a free 400 minute add-on for the holidays.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Connie19 wrote:

Thank you.  I love long answers ☺  

He is not a lover of cell phones.  Even the fact that he is considering ditching his flip phone for my 5 year old android is amazing.  100 minutes should be enough as I had the same thought as you mentioned....text me and I call him.

Thanks very much ☺

For the month he needs more than 100 outgoing minutes, he can get the $5 500 minutes add-on.  BTW, add-on minutes does not expire.  Any unused minutes will be rolled over to next 30 days cycle until completely used.

Connie19

Thank you.  I love long answers ☺  

He is not a lover of cell phones.  Even the fact that he is considering ditching his flip phone for my 5 year old android is amazing.  100 minutes should be enough as I had the same thought as you mentioned....text me and I call him.

Thanks very much ☺

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Connie19 Referral works for any account. It could even be yours too in the same name.

@Connie19  The slightly longer answer (and I'm known for them!)

Yes you can refer your husband...hes family right! He will recieve the $10 credit. You will recieve the $1 monthly reward and currently the bonus $20 referral credit. 

No plan minutes do not roll over. But the holiday free 400 min international add on do. As does the free holiday 1gb data add on does as well. You could add $5/500 min Canada wide calling add on to have insurance that you won't run out of plan minutes unless you talk a lot! All add ons roll over every month until you use them up.

Yes all incoming minutes are unlimited . It makes it easy to have people call you...send them a text. Hey call me my beautiful wife!

If there's going to be a promo before xmas it will likely be announced on Friday....thursday is probably the worst day of the week to activate...if a flash sale shows up on Friday.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Connie19 wrote:

Thank you

1. Yes you can refer your spouse with no issues
  2. The 100 minutes are per 30 days and do not roll over to the next cycle.
  3. Yes incoming calls do not count toward any of your minutes

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.