cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10 plan

Muhammad2018
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

does $10 plan include incoming call free?

18 REPLIES 18

@Joshee22 wrote:

I have a big plan I was just commenting on the fact that you kept running out of minutes on a 10.00 plan due to voicemail and what not. Personally I call out of the province often (family all over Canada) 

@Joshee22

Since you didn't quote the post you were replying to nor tag the person your advice was for, your comment was very random in a thread in which nobody actually said "I keep running out of minutes."

The way I interpreted the original poster's question was that they are making sure that they understand the plan and could choose according to their needs (of which we don't have any indication).

Good for you for finding a plan that suits your needs. Just keep in mind that the plan that works perfectly for you isn't the magic bullet for everybody.

Joshee22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a big plan I was just commenting on the fact that you kept running out of minutes on a 10.00 plan due to voicemail and what not. Personally I call out of the province often (family all over Canada) 

@Joshee22 wrote:

Why not spend the extra just couple dollars and get a Canada wide talk plan? Just talk no text or data and that way you don’t have to worry about minutes being consumed or running out 

@Joshee22

The $10 plan includes 50 Canada wide minutes!?

If you mean unlimited: Unlimited Canada wide talk is $30 - that's more than "just a couple of dollars" for someone who usually uses a minumum amount of minutes and are happy to keep a LD minute add-on for the occasional time that they need more.

More points to keep in mind (in no particular order):

- If your plan does not include the text feature you can't receive texts. None except notifications from Public Mobile. So, if you rely on getting notifications or authorisation codes, you need texts in your plan.

- The 400min LD add-on is $15 - $0.0375 is exceptional value if you only use it occasionally.

- The cheapest unlimited talk plan is province wide for $20 (How often do you call outside your province?). Unlimited province wide talk and unlimited internationl texts is $25

- Choosing the $30 for a Canada wide talk only plan is actually not very savvy: You can actually add unlimited international texts and 500MB of data at no extra cost, so why would you go with talk only?

Joshee22
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why not spend the extra just couple dollars and get a Canada wide talk plan? Just talk no text or data and that way you don’t have to worry about minutes being consumed or running out 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Muhammad2018 the only thing free about the $10 plan is the incoming text messages.  If you're worried that you'll run out of the 50 overall minutes (i.e. incoming and outgoing combined is 50 minutes), then get the Canada Long distance or International add-on.  I did that for my dad when he had 5 days left and ran out of minutes.  I purchased the $8 for 200 minutes and it was applied immediately.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Muhammad2018

Thank you for the solution choice. Others gave perfectly fine solutions before me.

On reviewing the thread seeing it in my notifications...I realized after the fact that I should have added that most toll free calls out do not increment minutes. And of course 611 neither. I'm not immediately recalling other kinds of calls that don't count.

@slash407 wrote:

all of this messaging and no1 answers his question???? one person says yes, another says no.

There isnt unlimited incoming talking. You also get tagged for calling ur voicemail too. 

Your understanding of the plan is correct, but the Original Poster's question was answered adequately in the.first reply.  There's a whole bunch of other information in this thread, but the main question was answerered, and also expanded upon.

ooakosiryan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

I seem to recall that you have to use the handset to do initial setup but after that you can call it from another line and not use your minutes.

Ah, yes. @srlawren provided a link to a thread w/ instructions on how to do this. Great to know that this is an option! Thanks to both of you!

I would totally do it . . . if I belived in voicemail lol. I can't even tolerate the process of checking voicemail. It seems so inefficient to have to call in, go through a menu, sit there and listen to someone ramble on, look for a pen to write down a number or details if needed haha. Much quicker to just check a text or email. I'm hoping voicemails go the way of fax machines. My extended absence greeting says, "I don't feel like checking my voicemail, so please set me a text or email. Thanks!"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I also use the extended absence greeting and tell callers that know me to leave a message at my other line that they should also know.

@Anonymous that's a good technique too.  Or, since incoming texts are unmetered (unlimited), you could suggest they send you a text message and you will get back to them as soon as possible.  Or ask them to email you at your preferred email address.  Or ask them to send you a raven to your summer home in Winterfell, or your winter home in King's Landing.

lol

I like the text idea. I tend to talk not entirely clearly for some people so for my extended absence greeting I intentionally recorded slowly and louder.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ooakosiryan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Calling your voicemail from the handset...them's're minutes...so they're consumption.

I wanted to believe you, so I tested this again. And you're right! Calling voicemail and poking around the menu did use up minutes for me. I totally mis-read my usage in my previous test, so y'all can ignore the results from my previous post. Thanks!!

I seem to recall that you have to use the handset to do initial setup but after that you can call it from another line and not use your minutes.

ooakosiryan

@Anonymous wrote:

Calling your voicemail from the handset...them's're minutes...so they're consumption.

I wanted to believe you, so I tested this again. And you're right! Calling voicemail and poking around the menu did use up minutes for me. I totally mis-read my usage in my previous test, so y'all can ignore the results from my previous post. Thanks!!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

I also use the extended absence greeting and tell callers that know me to leave a message at my other line that they should also know.

@Anonymous that's a good technique too.  Or, since incoming texts are unmetered (unlimited), you could suggest they send you a text message and you will get back to them as soon as possible.  Or ask them to email you at your preferred email address.  Or ask them to send you a raven to your summer home in Winterfell, or your winter home in King's Landing.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ooakosiryan wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote: 

When I call voicemail and even just listen to the menu with no voicemail it costs minutes (displays instantly on plan details) but does not display ever in usage history.

I'm on the $10 plan, and I just tested this. I called voicemail, listened to the menu for 55 seconds, and then hung up. It didn't cost any minutes (didn't display on plan details and didn't display in usage history). So it looks like I got different results than @Dunkgirl . . . unless 55 second calls are free?

Anyways, to avoid all this voicemail stuff and potentially being charged minutes, I just put my extended abscence greeting on and disallowed people from leaving messages (@Muhammad2018, if you want to do that too, the instructions are here).

This topic seems to come up somewhat frequently. All calls get logged in the usage details. The only time minutes are consumed and therefore incremented on the overview page are when you use minutes on the handset. In or out. Calls dropping to voicemail don't hit the handset as minutes (other than ring and missed-call notification). Calling your voicemail from the handset...them's're minutes...so they're consumption.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@missorange wrote:

Also is that possible to call voicemail through other phone? 

@missorange yes.  See here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Checking-Voicemail-Messages-from-Anot...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ooakosiryan

@Dunkgirl wrote: 

When I call voicemail and even just listen to the menu with no voicemail it costs minutes (displays instantly on plan details) but does not display ever in usage history.

I'm on the $10 plan, and I just tested this. I called voicemail, listened to the menu for 55 seconds, and then hung up. It didn't cost any minutes (didn't display on plan details and didn't display in usage history). So it looks like I got different results than @Dunkgirl . . . unless 55 second calls are free?

Anyways, to avoid all this voicemail stuff and potentially being charged minutes, I just put my extended abscence greeting on and disallowed people from leaving messages (@Muhammad2018, if you want to do that too, the instructions are here).

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

First time heard Fongo, is that free app to call? Also is that possible to call voicemail through other phone? 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Muhammad2018The limited $10 plan minutes are used up for incomming, and outgoing. I have heard (I don't have the $10 plan so cant comment on this) but checking your voicemail uses up your minutes. Even someone else leaving voicemail (as per @Dunkgirl someone leaving you voicemail does not use minutes)  @Anonymous should be able to confirm or deny this.

For $8 one time charge you can add 200 back up minutes (add-on) that never expire until used up.

For $15 on time charge you can add 400 back up minutes (add-on) that never expire until used up.

If you use your phone often and can connect to wifi (or even buy some data) using a 3rd party calling app like Fongo will be cheaper if used on Data, or free on wifi.

I found this from @Dunkgirl

@Dunkgirl wrote:

This is what I have found from my testing.

When you call me and I ignore you, 0 minutes used

When I call 611 it does not cost minutes

When you call me and I ignore you and you leave me voicemail usage history says I called 7057804001 and displays the time you were connected to my voicemail (but its free and does not count against 50 minutes- 0 minutes used)

When i call voicemail to listen to your message from my phone it costs minutes (displays instantly on plan details) but does not display ever in usage history

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Muhammad2018 wrote:

does $10 plan include incoming call free?

@Muhammad2018

No it is 50 minutes total calls

Need Help? Let's chat.