Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 for 50 Text Plan details - questions

d4w_public
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm looking for more details regarding the Public Mobile 10for50text plan:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/10for50talk50text

I'm not certain where to locate details....

For example:

For voice calls on a plan:

a) Are these billed per second or per minute?

Answer:  Per minute billing

b) What is the per sec/min cost after you go over the plan allotment? Or, is the service disabled after you reach the limit for the month?

Answer:  per Mary_M - voice calls blocked after 50 min.  You can request an early plan renewal if you run out of minutes.  Or, purchase an LD add-on to keep your talk services active

Voicemail:.

c) Can you listen to your voicemail from a landline?  If so, are there details to do so?

Answer:  per wetcoaster/abTest - Call your own number, wait for VM (if you have your cell phone in your hand you can decline the call), press * (star) which prompts you to enter your password. You can then access your voice mail menu as usual.  

d) If you must listen to your voice messages from your cell, does this time count toward your plan's voice time allotment?

Answer:  per wetcoaster - Yes, per footnote #9

e) Are there instructions on setting up voicemail greetings?

Answer:  per wetcoaster - Call your voice mail and follow the prompts. It's similar to any voice mail box 

For texting on a plan:

f) Is MMS included in all plans?

Answer:  per wetcoaster/abTest - Yes, any MMS would be deducted from your SMS bucket, but data connection needs to be on but MMS does not incurring any data charges nor count against a data allotment you might have on your plan or add-on

g) What is the outgoing cost per text after you go over the plan's allotment? 

Answer:  per Mary_M - n/a since texting is blocked after 50 outgoing texts

Under Offer Details:

h) What does "9 Calls to voicemail will deduct from in-plan minutes." refer to?

Answer:  per wetcoaster - #9 is the footnote number.  Refers to calls made from cell to own voicemail will consume alloted plan minutes

i) Limited time offer - any idea of when offer expires?  It may take some time to understand details of this plan.

Answer:  per wetcoaster - Unknown 

Other Community questions:

j) wetcoaster:  Is this treated as a normal plan? As in yours until you change it, eligible for rewards and early renewal?

Answer:  per Mary_M - Yes, treated as a normal plan ie. plan will remain on user's account until it's changed

Thanks in advance!

28 REPLIES 28

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@d4w_publicWonderful post on the $10 plan.  You were detail-oriented and thorough in teasing out the minutia of this account.  Glad I found it through the search feature of this forum.  If it's not already pinned or in the KB it should be so that anyone can refer to it.

Kudos!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@staing98, Yes it is.

staing98
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The 50 texts says it's international...I assume that's across Canada too?

@wetcoaster, good point.  I don't even think of PM as prepaid still it is just autopay like I was before lol.  My work phone is post paid and a Government of Canada phone so they might have a bit of bargaining power.  I know we are switching providers again here soon.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@d4w_public OK everyone I went hunting. This is from the ToS:  "airtime for each voice call is rounded up to the nearest minute". 

https://publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Public_Mobile_Terms_of_Service.pdf

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@TheOldVR wrote:

Just curious regarding the usage of a long-distance add-on to go beyond the 50 minute limit.

The add-on is $8 for 200 mins I think.... so 4 cents a minute? That's all it would cost for additional Canadian minutes?

I'm just thinking of usage in case of an emergency were the phone get's used more then normal.

Another feature of the add-on minutes: they don't expire until used up.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@d4w_public wrote:

Does anyone know if Public Mobile is per Minute billing or per Second?

That is, if a voice call is made for 25 sec, does it count for a full 1 minute of the 50 minute allotment on the plan?  or, is it 25 seconds? 

Thanks again to everyone in the community for contributing!

Again, there is no pay-per-use billing at Public Mobile

In terms of counting against your allotment. Since it says 50 minutes the unit is minutes. So if your call connects and you are hanging up after 2 seconds it counts as one minute. Unless something has considerably changed recently, that policy is the same with any Canadian prepaid provider I know of.

My work phone through Rogers is Per second billing

Is your work phone prepaid, @ShawnC13?

Just curious, because when I looked at consumer prepaid plans before joining Public Mobile the by-the-minute billing / deduction was consistent with all carriers. That's why I threw the "unless things have changed" in there - I'd be happy to learn that things have changed.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just curious regarding the usage of a long-distance add-on to go beyond the 50 minute limit.

The add-on is $8 for 200 mins I think.... so 4 cents a minute? That's all it would cost for additional Canadian minutes?

I'm just thinking of usage in case of an emergency were the phone get's used more then normal.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@d4w_public wrote:

That is, if a voice call is made for 25 sec, does it count for a full 1 minute of the 50 minute allotment on the plan?  or, is it 25 seconds? 

Again, there is no pay-per-use billing at Public Mobile

In terms of counting against your allotment. Since it says 50 minutes the unit is minutes. So if your call connects and you are hanging up after 2 seconds it counts as one minute. Unless something has considerably changed recently, that policy is the same with any Canadian prepaid provider I know of.

My work phone through Rogers is Per second billing

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@d4w_public wrote:

Again, there is no pay-per-use billing at Public Mobile.

In terms of counting against your allotment: Since it says 50 minutes the unit is minutes. So if your call connects and you are hanging up after 2 seconds it counts as one minute. Unless something has considerably changed recently, that policy is the same with any Canadian prepaid provider I know of and has been for ages.

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite wrote:

I really like this intro/minimalist plan. Let's make it a standard offer! 💥

Using long distance add-on as a backstop is cool (BTW: US Roaming call add-on works with a data only plan). If the user intends to use a smartphone the 1 GB data add-on rounds out a perfect minimalist plan.

I know 3 people who have been waiting for this plan.

@Mary_M: open to all customers or only new?

I agree! Minimalist, but maximum flexibility! I think I'll be switching one of my lines back for this. I especially like that it is Canada wide - good for short trips accross provincial borders.

d4w_public

@Luddite wrote:

Using long distance add-on as a backstop is cool (BTW: US Roaming call add-on works with a data only plan). If the user intends to use a smartphone the 1 GB data add-on rounds out a perfect minimalist plan.

@Luddite

While it's not part of the plan selector, it shows up in the plan section of my self serve account as ready-made option (unlike the recent $30/1GB promo) - so I'd assume open to existing users as well.

Screenshot-2018-4-12-Public-Mobile---ChangePlanLandingPage.jpg

And yes, combining it with the data add-on looks like an amazing deal for the right people.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Mary_M wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention this but I have updated my post. You can also purchase an LD add-on to keep your talk services active if the 50 minutes were consumed 🙂 

Thanks for this! Nice work-around for the talk part.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Sorry, I forgot to mention this but I have updated my post. You can also purchase an LD add-on to keep your talk services active if the 50 minutes were consumed 🙂 

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

@Mary_M wrote:

You're very welcome !@d4w_public and @wetcoaster!

Yes, it,s treated as a normal plans which means that it will remain on a user's account until it's changed - but instead of unlimited services, they are limited - to 50 Canada wide talk minutes and 50 outgoing texts. If the plan is changed but is still available in market, you will be able to go back to it (future dating or changing the plan)

Let me know if you require further clarification 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

Thanks for confirming!

@d4w_public wrote:

Thanks Mary, your response helps with one of the questions (ie. g) for texting.  I have many questions since I'm looking to see if this plan in its entirety is suitable for my elderly parent.  For 50 min of talk, there's a significant difference if it's billed by sec or minute.

Mary's response answers more than one question. There is no pay per use charge at Public Mobile. If you reached the limit of minute or texts you are cut off from that part of the service.

Answers below are all relevant for the $10 50min/50texts per 30days plan.

@d4w_public wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for more details regarding the Public Mobile 10for50text plan:

I'm not certain where to locate details....

For example:

For voice calls on a plan:

a) Are these billed per second or per minute?

b) What is the per sec/min cost after you go over the plan allotment? Or, is the service disabled after you reach the limit for the month?

There are not pay-per-use charges at Public Mobile. You have 50 minutes available, after that you are cut off until the plan is renewed or until you add a long distance add-on.

Voicemail:

c) Can you listen to your voicemail from a landline?  If so, are there details to do so? As @will13am has mentioned you can call your voicemail from any phone. Call your own number and wait until it goes to voice mail (if you have your cell phone in your hand you can decline the call), press * (star) which prompts you to enter your password. You can then access your voice mail menu as usual.

d) If you must listen to your voice messages from your cell, does this time count toward your plan's voice time allotment? Yes, as indicated by footnote number 9

e) Are there instructions on setting up voicemail greetings? Call your voice mail and follow the prompts. It's similar to any voice mail box from other providers I have dealt with before.

For texting on a plan:

f) Is MMS included in all plans? In this case any MMS would be deducted from your SMS bucket. As mentioned by @Anonymous, your data connection needs to be on but MMS are not incurring any data charges nor count against a data allotment you might have on your plan or add-on

g) What is the outgoing cost per text after you go over the plan's allotment? Once you hit the limit you're cut off until renewal

Also keep in mind that texts over 160 characters are split for transfer (even if they show as one in the senders sent box and in the recipients inbox) and are considered multiple messages that count individually against your text bucket.

Under Offer Details:

h) What does "9 Calls to voicemail will deduct from in-plan minutes." refer to? As mentioned in your voice mail questions: If you call your voice mail from your cell phone it will use minutes from your allotment.

i) Limited time offer - any idea of when offer expires?  It may take some time to understand details of this plan. As with all promos at Public Mobile, unless they state an end date (which they might down the line), it's there until it is not. If you want to take advantage of it do so at your earliest convenience. (The shortest promo period we had here was up less than 2 days and it got pulled without any warning.)

Thanks in advance!

Edited to reflect @Mary_M's input re adding a long-distance add-on.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

You're very welcome !@d4w_public and @wetcoaster!

Yes, it,s treated as a normal plans which means that it will remain on a user's account until it's changed - but instead of unlimited services, they are limited - to 50 Canada wide talk minutes and 50 outgoing texts. If the plan is changed but is still available in market, you will be able to go back to it (future dating or changing the plan)

Let me know if you require further clarification 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Thanks for the quick reply, @Mary_M!

Exept for the cap, is this treated as a normal plan? As in yours until you change it, eligible for rewards and early renewal (I totally get that it's aimed at a very low user category, but say they have one month when they run out of minutes on day 20, but don't anticipate doing that on a regular basis)

d4w_public

Thanks Mary, your response helps with one of the questions (ie. g) for texting.  I have many questions since I'm looking to see if this plan in its entirety is suitable for my elderly parent.  For 50 min of talk, there's a significant difference if it's billed by sec or minute.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

that's correct @wetcoaster, once the allocated amounts are fully consumed, the user will be blocked from using the service as we're prepaid and we don't charge overages.  This plan is for light users therefor if you typically consume more than 50 minutes a month and send more than 50 texts, you're better off choosing one of our unlimited plans 🙂 *You can also purchase an LD add-on (200 minutes) to keep your talk services going.

Does this answer your question?

Mary

@d4w_public wrote:

Any idea where to find those details?  In particular, for this plan...

Thanks in advance!

This is a limited time offer plan, and we have not seen limited voice / text plans for ages here.

For data the service just stops when you reach the amount you have paid for beforehand. I assume it's the same for minutes and texts. You could ask the moderators to renew your plan early.

Again, these are educated guesses from my side. @CS_Agent, @Mary_M, @Brooke_C can you shed some light into this, please?

With all of Public Mobile plans, there are no prices for going over. That particular part of the service will just stop working if you use all of your data up.  But for voice calls, there are no limits, as long as you making and receiving calls that are included in your plan.

MMS is only included if you subscribed to a plan that includes messaging.

d4w_public

Any idea where to find those details?  In particular, for this plan...

Thanks in advance!

@Anonymous wrote:

@d4w_public, here are some answers.

For voice plans, it is always unlimited (minutes).  The only difference is whether your plan is province wide (you can call from anywhere in your province), or Canada wide (you can call from & receive calls from anywhere in canada.

I'm pretty sure you can get voicemail from landline, but there is no need to, since there are no minutes to keep track of when retrieving from cell phone.  I would guess there are instructions for setting up your greeting, but cannot point you to them at this moment.

For texts, there is no limit, no cost for extra texts.  MMS is included. You simply need to enable data on your phone (and it must be compatible with Public mobile's data network).  You do not need to have a data plan, but it must be enabled and functional.

If I've missed something, I'm sure someone else will fill in the blanks.

You hit on all the right points!  The only thing I would add is that access to the voice mail using any phone line is possible. 

d4w_public

I don't believe all plans are unlimited voice...

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d4w_public, here are some answers.

For voice plans, it is always unlimited (minutes).  The only difference is whether your plan is province wide (you can call from anywhere in your province), or Canada wide (you can call from & receive calls from anywhere in canada.

I'm pretty sure you can get voicemail from landline, but there is no need to, since there are no minutes to keep track of when retrieving from cell phone.  I would guess there are instructions for setting up your greeting, but cannot point you to them at this moment.

For texts, there is no limit, no cost for extra texts.  MMS is included. You simply need to enable data on your phone (and it must be compatible with Public mobile's data network).  You do not need to have a data plan, but it must be enabled and functional.

If I've missed something, I'm sure someone else will fill in the blanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.