cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail message timestamp - how to change time zone?

bw0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, all.

For playing a voicemail message, is there any way to change the annunciated timestamp to use local time (or specific time zone) format instead of UTC? I've gone through all the menu options and couldn't find anything applicable.

8 REPLIES 8

@gmparkins wrote:

I have the same problem. When I called months ago was told to do a phone reset.  Now I see this post so hopefully will get it fixed now.

Do you also have one of the new area codes like 672? If so, there's nothing you can do yourself to fix it, you'll have to open a ticket with the moderators regarding the timestamp announcement.

gmparkins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same problem. When I called months ago was told to do a phone reset.  Now I see this post so hopefully will get it fixed now.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for the followup @bw0 ! I would presume your efforts will have fixed the timestamps for all Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile users with 672 numbers. They all share the same voicemail server under someones desk at the Telus head office. 🙂 Probably running UNIX from 1972!

Ps: it's bad form to mark your own post as a "solution" - maybe pick the best post of someone else that pointed you in the right direction?

bw0

I contacted the moderators and my issue was resolved (in about a day). The announced timestamps are now in PST, as they should be for me. Indeed, the time zone for my number is incorrectly listed somewhere, though whether it's in a user level resource or somewhere of broader applicability, the moderator didn't say. He did say that it happens with these new numbers.

So possibly, UTC timestamp issue exists or existed only for me and a few others. Or the issue affects larger numbers of users (with 672 area code or maybe certain newer CO prefixes within 672 and elsewhere). The latter makes sense because in BC for instance a number of towns off the Rockies east slope are actually in MST time zone, and some use DST some don't; so in general the announced timestamp must depend on both area code and CO.

Anyway, for anyone who is getting wrong voice mail timestamps, I suggest you contact the moderators to fix.

Thanks to all who commented in this thread.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@bw0 I think you are right on the money with the VoiceMail servers not having a timezone programmed to recognize the 672 area code.

This would be interesting as the voicemail servers are also shared by Telus Mobility and Koodo, so definitely inquire with the moderators, as iI think they are the only ones that can do something about it, or coordinate with those who do...

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
672 is the newest area code for Metro Vancouver, so in Pacific Standard Time zone.

You might consider messaging the Moderator Team to ask them how to modify the time zone of your voicemail -

Here’s how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

Start a conversation with the virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Choose the chat bubble in the lower right hand corner and follow the prompts.

Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437). You’ll need to login first to your Community account for the link to work.

bw0

Yes, my number's area code and my geographical location belong in the same time zone. Brings to mind though that maybe this is a 672 glitch. Perhaps someone with 672 area code number can check and comment? Thanks in advance.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bw0 wrote:

Hi, all.

For playing a voicemail message, is there any way to change the annunciated timestamp to use local time (or specific time zone) format instead of UTC? I've gone through all the menu options and couldn't find anything applicable.

Is your phone number in the same time zone as you? I think it goes by your phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.