cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to switch my old public mobile phone number to my new phone carrier . HELP

rmak416
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am trying to switch my old public mobile phone number over to my new carrier wind/freedom mobile because there are email accounts that I have linked to that number , they said in order for me to switch my number over the account has to be active . my public mobile account has been inactive for over 8 months . is there any way you can help me change my current number to my old number ? 

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rmak416 you can safely ignore those call, and use your phone's number blocking feature to block the number.  They may call again from another number--just keep blocking until the calls hopefully go away.

However, yes you CAN change your phone number online, but only once every 30 days.  The port-in does not count toward that restriction, so you can change the number now even if it was ported more recently.  Just sign into your self-serve account (use the My Account link at the top of this page), click on Plans and Add-ons, then Change Phone Number.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@crystalholtby78 wrote:

WHY CANT I CHNAGE MY NUMERB ONLIEN I AHVE NOT CHNAGE IT YET I PORT THIS NUEMRB IN 51xxxxxxx AND NOW MY SON IS GETTOGN CALL FORM IRS SAY HE OWN MONEY TO IRS WHEN HE NOT CANDAIN

IRS calls don't have anything to do with the Public Mobile service.  These calls, which are often fraudelent, are often an attempt to trick people into giving out personal informaiton or to collect money. Either way, IRS has zero juristiction in Canada, and IRS doesn't even collect Canadian income taxes.

crystalholtby78
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

WHY CANT I CHNAGE MY NUMERB ONLIEN I AHVE NOT CHNAGE IT YET I PORT THIS NUEMRB IN 51xxxxxxx AND NOW MY SON IS GETTOGN CALL FORM IRS SAY HE OWN MONEY TO IRS WHEN HE NOT CANDAIN

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

if the mods aren't doing the change for you, you are pretty much SOL.  Like others mentioned before you, you haven't used the number for 8 months, getting a new number is not going to affect your life very much.

Well in this case, that person may have activated a plan, and at the moment, may be in their own 90 day period after end of cycle, and have not topped up yet.

There is also a chance that they are on a no voice option plan, and only use txt or data.

until they get through a full 90 days of inactivity, that number is their's and you can't get it.

rmak416

ok so mod team says my number is assigned to somebody else . but when i call the number it says out of service so how is it assigned to somebody lol

rmak416

ok thank you very much mod team ! message sent 

rmak416

thanks will ! just what i had in mind ! it seems like it should be possible

@rmak416, after 90 days of inactivity you no longer have an active account with PM.  Your phone account is closed and the number is gone.  You can't reactivate the SIM you have.

You can  message a MOD for assistance and see if there is any possibility of getting that number, click on this link Moderator Team
to send a private message .
In your message please include:
* PM account email address
* SIM card number(if available)
* PM phone number
* Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

rmak416

i was already told by freedom on the phone that exact answer . they said into order to switch the number over the public mobile line needs to be active . so the real question is in order to switch my old public mobile phone number over does that mean that i would have to re activate my old sim card with public mobile ? and choose that old number ? ..... because if the number after 90 days gets put back into the registry of numbers to pick from , and that number isnt being used .  then should i have the option to choose my old number when i activate a sim card 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@rmak416, if you are totally certain that your old number is still sitting in the pool of unused numbers, you could try to reclaim it by signing up for a new account with Public Mobile.  During the activation process, keep searching for your number and if you are really lucky it might show up for you to select.  Other than that, get over it, it is just a number.  You have been without for 8 months and nothing disastrous happened. 

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire

To port out or port in your number need to be active if its not a active line then you won't be able to port your number and since you mentioned its been 8 months of non active service pretty much you won't be able to use the same number for freedom. 

In past I was with freedom and I went out of country for over 90 days when I got back here freedom canceled my number because of non active line for over 90 days and I end up with buying new line with new number and sim and lost my grandfathered plan as well. 

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

rmak416

how is it impossible to get my old number back though if nobody is using it ? shouldn't its availability still be up for grab's? i dont see why this is so hard . i have the account password information , still have the sim card . i am even willing to activate the sim card if it helps in any way . there has got to be a way to figure this out

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Your PM account and number are kept on hold for you for 90 days after the end date of your last paid up plan. After that your account is cancelled and your number goes back into the available number pool.

Sorry, after 8 months there is essentially no way to get your old number back.

Need Help? Let's chat.