cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to make calls us roaming

guillow
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I have the talk and text us roaming package and the us 1gig roaming.

The text and data is working but I can't make phone calls. Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

15 REPLIES 15

paper clip won't work.. too thick..

Go to a mobile store and ask them for help, they have lots  🙂

Paper clip might work... really small one..but I'm sure you have better things to do right now than fiddling with your phone. 🙂

guillow

Don't have a pin, but will try this evening...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@guillow 

Ah yes another customer doing testing for us while in the US also seems to have that missing setting in his pixel 5A?

There was someone with a Pixel 5a the other day who had the same limitation. The specs say it supports 2G. But that preferred network doesn't include it. Odd.

Would you be willing to remove the sim and then turn on the phone and see if 2G shows up in there. (if not all greyed out or anything)

guillow

Pixel 5 here..only options 5g, LTE, 3g

guillow

Ok I've used rebel and ended up using that to check my voicemail.

I've set auto connect AWAY from 5G and down to 3G preference and will try again

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@guillow 

Make sure your network mode settings in your phone ( as per @dust2dust post) is preferably set on 4G LTE/3G/2G (autoconnect) as this will allow for your phone to automatically drop down to T-Mobile's 2G network if available when you make or recieve a call. Alternatively while preferably on wifi download textnow and choose a Canadian phone number. You will be able to send and recieve voice calls with your textnow number while on wifi or it will use mobile data (0.5mb=1min). You can also find links to network coverage maps contained in my post in the link supplied by @softech.

@softech 

Lol....spelling! (darlicious)

guillow

Downtown Washington DC. According to the maps there should be coverage...

guillow

Thanks for the information.

I am on automatic connect but it was connected to Tmobile.

I changed to manual and again select T-Mobile.

When I place the call it says network not available...

Any other ideas?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @guillow   With US phased out 3G, you have to connect to T-Mobile network and use it's 2G for voice.  Make sure you manually connect to T-Mobile and see if it wroks

If it does not work, since you have data, use VoIP app like TextNow to make free calls to Canada using your Mobile Data or wifi

When you are back in Canada, you can open ticket with PM CS agent and tell them your problem , they will like compensate a bit

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You might be out of coverage area for T-Mobile's old 2G coverage.

Are you set on manual T-Mobile? Or automatic? Change to manual and connect to T-Mobile.

What make and model is the phone? It almost certainly supports 2G GSM but we can make sure. Or if your network mode is just LTE/3G then see if you can find LTE/3G/2G. Or see if you can find 2G. Then switch it back for text and data. That just makes a bit of a hassle for inbound calls.

Talk is the current whole problem with roaming. Text and data should be, as you see, fine.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@guillow   US roaming Talk is now tricky.  The reason is that US has decommissioned 3G network and the only network we can use for voice roaming is T-Mobile 2G network.  But T-Mobile 2G network does not cover everywhere and the signal not great even it is supposed to be there

But first, make sure you are connecting to T-Mobile

Then check if your area has T-Mobile 2G network

https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#466

and if you have time, check the great post about the  Roaming voice situation  by @darlicious  (sorry for spelling 😂)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Can you confirm you added funds to your account before adding the US add on?

Are you connecting to a US network?

You should be able to manually connect to a network. 

Need Help? Let's chat.