cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

still being autopay billed for dead account, can't log in to cancel autopay

marty2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I transferred one of my Public numbers to another carrier (my sister's phone, that I pay for) several months ago, and at that time I assumed my account was cancelled because I lost access to it thru the Public portal (username, password not recognized). I found this morning that I am still being billed for it, along with the other three accounts I pay for with Public.

I can't log into the account to cancel autopay, and it's looking like I'll have to cancel my credit card and get another one to make it stop.

Help, please!!

5 REPLIES 5

marty2

LOL, you got that right!  I set my old sis up with Public ( a far better company to deal with than hers!) and was paying for her service to save her some money. Despite this minor current problem she caused, I was actually happy when she ported to Tbaytel, because I was her go-to call every time she couldn't figure out something with her phone (she only knows how to call and to send basic texts--barely) and it was very frustrating sometimes to guide her, 'cause she'd usually whine about how complicated my simple instructions were.  Like the old saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished"!

I sent a detailed message to the link you shared with me, and I look forward to hearing from the CSA tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Marty

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@marty2 

Ahhh...sisters. Gotta love them! In these cases any charges after the number was ported out are completely 100% refundable as its a glitch in the system causing this strange occurrence of automatic payments after an account is cancelled and deactivated.

It could be worse....there are many customers who just activate with a new provider and figure they have cancelled because they never get a bill but they have neglected to remove their autopay and card. In those cases pm has no obligation to issue a refund.

marty2

Darlicious, many thanks for the guidance, and for the link! I will give it a try tomorrow and see where it takes me.

Thanks too, to you, Yummy, you and Darlicious are absolutely right about 'good practice'; unfortunately I didn't have the chance to cancel because my sister ( a very Luddite senior in Thunder Bay) ported over to Thunder Bay Tel without my prior knowledge, then told me after the fact. By that time, I couldn't even log on to her account, which appeared to have been closed. Yup, it would have saved me a lot of grief!  And money...

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Porting number out of PM should immediately cancel (close/delete) your account.

In rare cases somehow account stays 'active' and if it has autopay and registered credit card billing continues.

Contact CSA ASAP and provide any proof if you have of porting number out (screenshots) and request refund and ask them to delete your account for good.

Good practice when leaving PM is to cancel autopay and remove credit card info before porting out.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@marty2 

This happens rarely....but does. Contact customer support to have them remove the credit card info from the deactivated account and issue a refund. Have the credit card statement transactions available to speed up the process. Put "Deactivated Account Charged Refund Request" in the subject line and leave a detailed message. Use the info from the cancelled account as verification.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Need Help? Let's chat.