cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

someone is sending texts using my phone number

grantshane
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a call from someone in a different town.  THey said they keep getting texts from my phone number with attachments that they can't open.  Like 15 a minute.  I haven't sent any text to that number.  What is going on?

26 REPLIES 26

Beth27
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That’s not god at all! Hope it won’t happen again

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

@darkomega wrote:

That's the thing I do see them being sent out, I have no fishy apps on my phone, I have a VERY secure password on this account, and I'm crazy secure about things so I don't get what the heck is going on here.

@darkomega    How is that possible?  I understand spoofing but I wouldn't have thought it possible for those spoofed calls/texts to actually show up in your usage.  I would want to know from CSA's how that is possible. 

I would too @dabr , that's freaky.

@darkomega   so, you said someone called you saying you text him, and you check the usage history and see that a line showing you text that number, but you didn't?

@darkomega wrote:

That's the thing I do see them being sent out, I have no fishy apps on my phone, I have a VERY secure password on this account, and I'm crazy secure about things so I don't get what the heck is going on here.

@darkomega    How is that possible?  I understand spoofing but I wouldn't have thought it possible for those spoofed calls/texts to actually show up in your usage.  I would want to know from CSA's how that is possible. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

My wife got an MMS text notification at 2:09am from a valid BC number that had a company shown that was from NL. I called the number to see if they were from Public and they said they weren't. So this isn't just a Public problem.

@esjliv wrote:

That would freak me out, seeing the detail usage transactions made on the account.

HI @esjliv   No worry, those are just spoofing, it's not real, it won't be there

I think  I saw the only weird one is that Google service might sent text to itself for validation and it will be shown on your usage.  Forgot what the number would be but I remember seeing people talked about it

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

That would freak me out, seeing the detail usage transactions made on the account.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'll figure this out on my own though, I'm currently locking down all permissions on all apps 🙂

darkomega

HI@darkomega   if you don't see the text showing on the transaction log, I think it is just caller id/text spoofing.  Don't think it is a concern.

darkomega

Texts are being sent from my number, and I've been getting callers phoning me about it just like the original poster has described, only I've never answered them as I don't answer numbers I'm not familiar with, I checked my phone logs on here and they match up with whats been said by the original poster, they show texts being sent out by me that have not been, I've checked my phone for any spyware etc and it's clean.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@darkomega  😠

Is it texts only, or calls as well?

darkomega

This is happening to me now as well, and id like to put a stop to it.

HI @dust2dust   Sorry, I don't mean that. I am also just researching too  🙂

Very informative thanks. I didn't say it doesn't happen. Just that I don't think I've ever got one.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What is the frequency of those 21 items? I'm not sure what you see as received (call? text?) is related to what the stranger has brought to your attention. I get the odd call from an 86 country code too (and others likely spoofed too). I don't think I've ever got a junk text though.

grantshane

yes everything else seems to work

So they show as received....but not sent??

If yes they have spoofed their caller id with your phone number

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Firstly don't respond to them. They might be phishing. I would just block the number. 

@grantshane wrote:

So I looked at my usage and it shows 21 messages coming from Shanghai China +86 (21) 2895 7303. What should I do?

@grantshane  - if this is all from the same number, can you select that contact in your phone and choose to BLOCK it ?

Certainly sounds annoying, and I would curious too why this was happening.

If you just activated, and you are concerned about the phone number you currently have, you can change your number (4 times every 30 days) from your self serve account if you wish.

But, hopefully, this China number just has your number incorrectly in their records, and it will stop soon.

grantshane

So I looked at my usage and it shows 21 messages coming from Shanghai China +86 (21) 2895 7303. What should I do?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @grantshane  It could be just Caller ID spoofiing.  Spammer/Scammers  have ways to fake phone number to call or send out text.  It does not meant they got access to your phone number or account.   No worry

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Check your usage history. If you see your number doing that, somebody somehow hacked your number.

If you do not see SMS sent from your number when they claim 'you do it', consider it that spammers know your number is 'live' and they keep abusing it.

And people receiving attachments should be more careful since they try to open them from unknown source. Duh...

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Keep on eye on it to see if it continues to happen with this one person or if it happens to others. Definitely a nuisance, are all your services/features working without issue? 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

They are being spammed and the spammer is spoofing your number to get around filtering rules required by the CRTC.

Need Help? Let's chat.