cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove legitimitely purchased phone from blacklist

simonster
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Community,

I purchased an 'open box' samsung phone through Best Buy Marketplace in October, 2022.

The phone has worked fine up until yesterday, the 3rd Jan. 2023, when it was showing 'unregistered sim'. After some work, I found that it had been reprted as lost or stolen. I have a receipt for the phone via Best Buy, it's all legit on my end, wondering if it's possible to get it off the black list. the seller says that they will replace the phone, but that is a huge pain and I also have a lot of questions for them regarding this anyway. If I can, I would rather keep it and get it off the list if possible. 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated,

thank you,

Simon

16 REPLIES 16

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Ask Best Buy for a refund. 

@softech wrote:

.. when you buy a phone from a friend, make sure you keep being friend with the person.  The original owner always have the upper hand to call the provider to blacklist the phone. 🙂

And, sometimes, the friend might not really want to trick you, he forgot the new phone they got that are not fully paid, they walked away and broke the contract  (or made a chargeback) , the provider blacklist the phone, and you are the one who suffer  😞

I know some carriers have blocked phones becauese of payment issues, but whether they are supposed to is highly debatable.  I read about one casse in which Bell replaced a device because of this.  The national lost/stolen database is supposed to be for customers who misplace or have had the phone stolen (or stolen from the supply channel). In my opinion, it was never intended to be used for payment disputes between customer and carrier.  

.. when you buy a phone from a friend, make sure you keep being friend with the person.  The original owner always have the upper hand to call the provider to blacklist the phone. 🙂

And, sometimes, the friend might not really want to trick you, he forgot the new phone they got that are not fully paid, they walked away and broke the contract  (or made a chargeback) , the provider blacklist the phone, and you are the one who suffer  😞

@HALIMACS wrote:

Do yourself a huge favor, @simonster 

Either buy NEW or from someone you know who has bought NEW or from a mobile service provider selling overstock devices. 

It's the only protection in the used mobile device market. 

I hear what you're saying about buying someone from who you know.  A friend or even someone who you know casually is sometimes less likely to try to pull something if selling to a known person.  However, I will say that the part about buying new isn't enough to offer any type of protection.  Sometimes, new devices are the prime target for a less than honest seller who might try to claim some type of purchase insurance on a lost product.

Do yourself a huge favor, @simonster 

Either buy NEW or from someone you know who has bought NEW or from a mobile service provider selling overstock devices. 

It's the only protection in the used mobile device market. 

simonster

Thanks everyone for your replies to my inquiry. This is a great Community or support, I will be following up on many of your advice.

@simonster   yes, I agree.  Check with Bestbuy to see if you can decline the offer about replacement and just get the money back.  Good Luck and tell us how it turns out

simonster

thanks - I will be following up with them

simonster

Hi, Yes I'm surprised also. this is coming up almost 3 months later. I certainly have many questions for the seller, who is not replying as quickly as I would hope.

My concern is getting another bogus phone from them. I feel I need to escalate this with Best Buy, they should be vetting their marketplace sellers.

I dont know the etiquete for this forum in that do all see a reply to one? I am sure appreciative of all the replies that I have received with regards to this. Great Community support!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@simonster 

I am surprised that the Blacklisted phone worked since October. If it was Blacklisted, it shouldn’t work from day one unless the original owner had it Blacklisted late.

Your only option is to take the seller’s proposal for replacing the phone.

Trying to have it removed from the Blacklist will be difficult and time consuming…not worth it.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@simonster 

Take the replacement phone offer from the seller. You will not be able to remove the phone from the blacklist.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Take the offer. Unblacklisting is a giant hassle. Don't bother. Samsung has a pretty good data transfer system but it doesn't move everything.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @simonster   You need to work with BestBuy for a resolution.

BestBuy should have some protection in such situation.  Open a ticket with them first.  Login to Bestbuy, go to your order and there should be a button to report problem.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@simonster 

Also, my advise is try to avoid buying  from Marketplace as much as you can.  While not all sellers are "bad", but many bad sellers use the marketplace to get rid of their blacklisted phones.  

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@simonster 

Sorry but the solution is  going to be between you and the place you bought the phone.

Public Mobile can't help with that situation.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@simonster  first this is not something PM can help

To remove it off the blacklist, whoever (mobile carrier) put it on has to help to take it off

What you need to do is contact BestBuy since it is its marketplace.  I hope they have some kind of protection and able to help.  Yes, expect a long battle, it is not something can be easily done or can be resolved quickly. 

Need Help? Let's chat.