cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Revenue Canada" calls

RachelE
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Today I was suddenly bombarded with calls from 12 different Ottawa numbers, and  Bangladeshi numbers that were supposed to look like Ottawa numbers - but the user didn't hide the 880 country code. Some left that ridiculous "call back right away or you could go to jail" message.

I am wondering where all these different scammers got my cell number. I am on a do-not-call list, and I do not give this number out, I only share a landline #. Is anyone else experiencing this?

18 REPLIES 18

milansgirl20
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thank you for the assistance

@milansgirl20  remove one of those 2 stars at the beginning of the code it's trying to dial. I'm also not sure if Robokiller works in Canada, havent tried myself.  Also, FYI programming that will prevent calls from ever reaching your Public Mobile voicemail service, so I'm not sure if RoboKiller provides a replacement service?

I would potentially start by only redirecting blocked or manually declined calls using *67*2262400139#

You can undo all of these conditional call forward settings back to Public Mobile voicemail by dialing ##004#

milansgirl20

I cannot get RoboKiller to finish activating. It tries to call **004*2262400139# but it doesn't call...

RachelE

I've actually found a satisfying work-around. I answer the calls, wait for a "Revenue Canada agent" to pick up, whisper questions into the phone to get their attention, then blast them a couple of times with a dog whistle. 

I wouldn't do that to a legitimate seller, no matter how much I hate telemarketers, but an unquestionable scammer?....Sorry, not sorry! Now I'm sort of looking forward to the calls, but they seem to have stopped LOL!

@hTideGnow wrote:

you talked to those callers?

does that involve pressing a 1 or so?  someone said I shouldn't press anything, they said they might be able to charge my calls or so after I press the key.. so, I didn't.  but I always wonder if this is true.

That's why I adjusted my Canadian Lenny access number to play a DTMF "1" digit when it answers before connecting to Lenny, so I can waste more of their time without wasting mine on calls I divert to Lenny via the custom decline conditional call forward on my public mobile phone. ( *67*12264447726# )

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Couple of years ago, I received a call from someone pretended from CRA that I need to pay my back tax.  But I was aware of the CRA scam after read the samples of the scam from CRA website.   https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/security/protect-yourself-against-fraud/sample-tel...

I was not busy that day and I decided to waste his time.  He said that is an outstanding warrant to arrest me tomorrow.  I need to pay my back tax right now.  He want me to meet him at my local branch of my bank.  Give me a break.  I said I will call CRA tomorrow.  Then, he ask for my SIN.  I said if your are from CRA, you should know my SIN number.  Please give me the middle 3 digits of my SIN #.  He know I am playing with him and hang up.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hTideGnow wrote:

.. they are scammer.. they don't "obey" the national do not call list 🙂

they just randomly pick any number.. they are all machine calling.. no cost to them 

They might use the do not call list to get numbers to call or they might just get a computer to dial all numbers. They don't care because it takes them almost no time.

@will13am wrote:

I get calls from the CRA more than any other organization.  I try to engage the person on the other end of the line.  This wastes a bit of their time.  It also gives me a change to tell them to get a real job that does not involve hurting others to make a living.  

you talked to those callers?

does that involve pressing a 1 or so?  someone said I shouldn't press anything, they said they might be able to charge my calls or so after I press the key.. so, I didn't.  but I always wonder if this is true.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I get calls from the CRA more than any other organization.  I try to engage the person on the other end of the line.  This wastes a bit of their time.  It also gives me a change to tell them to get a real job that does not involve hurting others to make a living.  

brittneysarah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I get these calls all the time too, I never answer them but they have left messages saying I'm going to jail, or someone stole my SIN and I need to call them back. It's so annoying I wish there was a way to completely turn them off.

@hTideGnow wrote:

they just randomly pick any number.. they are all machine calling.. no cost to them 

Do you know what is far superior to the Canadian DNC list? B L O C K I  N G ! !

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

RachelE

I haven't had a single spam call in close to a year, so to receive so many in a day was quite disturbing. (Especially with the Bangladeshi country code featuring in a couple of them.) I only answered the first one, then blocked it, and blocked all the rest, but new numbers kept calling...I had to turn off the ringer. 

Maybe I'll try that app that was mentioned! 🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @RachelE 

Another option posted by a very wise user on this forum (Nezgar) has once suggested the following which I personally think is priceless:

Lenny - the Telemarketers worst nightmare! - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Treat them like furnace maintenance calls......block them. Those guys are so stupid......who has done their taxes this year.....no one....T slips aren’t due yet. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@RachelE    Your best bet is to first not answer any number you don't recognize.  If it's important they can leave voicemail/text message.   Once you've identified it as spam then simply block that number.

Unfortunately, we all get more spam these days, but luckily most smart phones make it very easy to block them.

Avid1

Yes, I get calls from some one who says it is the legal department and there is something against my SIN number Canada.

That I need to speak with an officer immediately. 

This annoying scam call is easy to get even by uploading the robokiller app from play store for mobile!!! Lol the app takes over scammers calls and tells them completely ridiculous replies.

Well worth the money just for the satisfaction of a returning porcupine quills to teach these goofs a lesson. Manners!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Sadly, @RachelE , this happens.

The worst thing one can do is answer ANY of these callers as then the number gets tagged as one which may be answered if called.  

My advice would be to IGNORE any callers from people you don't recognize.  Eventually, the scammers will realize your number is a dead-end and stop calling.

As for how they get the number - they simply use number calling lists and number generators to go through a whole lot of numbers.  I doubt you've been targeted.   If you're not attached to your current number, Public Mobile allows one change every 30 days.  The option is under your My Profile in self-serve.

Good luck!!!

Need Help? Let's chat.