cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Number not eligible for port"

brettc454
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, set up a new account for a friend and all went as expected, ported her number from Shaw Cable (landline).

The process was completed and we tested incoming and outgoing texts and calls. Then the incoming calls stopped. Outgoing still worked. Then got a text from PM that said a temporary number was assigned, The original number reverted back to Shaw and that landline works. Now when we try the process again we get "Number not eligible for port" message in red. We called Shaw an as expected were told the port has to be initiated from PM.

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks for your help, Brett.

I've been through the porting process about seven times over three years, so am fairly familiar with the do's and don'ts. 

12 REPLIES 12

If Koodo has it, we should too. 

Would be much better if  customer aware porting is not completed with a big bold message at My Account, and maybe also include the porting support team number there.  It would cut down many stuck port related posts on the Community 

@Community_QA wrote:

I think it is time My Account some have some indication showing that "Porting in progress" so people would know better

Koodo does this. It's a mystery why Public Mobile doesn't. Public Mobile actually incorrectly tells customers that porting is "successful" when nothing has actually been done yet.

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think it is time My Account some have some indication showing that "Porting in progress" so people would know better

i think porting still in progress because it is a landline

@brettc454 wrote:

Hi, set up a new account for a friend and all went as expected, ported her number from Shaw Cable (landline).

The process was completed and we tested incoming and outgoing texts and calls. Then the incoming calls stopped. Outgoing still worked. Then got a text from PM that said a temporary number was assigned, The original number reverted back to Shaw and that landline works. Now when we try the process again we get "Number not eligible for port" message in red. We called Shaw an as expected were told the port has to be initiated from PM.

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks for your help, Brett.

I've been through the porting process about seven times over three years, so am fairly familiar with the do's and don'ts. 

The "number not eligible port"  messages is only because once porting to Public Mobile has been requested, the system doesn't allow the customer to try again without the help of a Public Mobile customer support agent.

@brettc454 wrote:

Curious to know why it worked for a few minutes, is this to be expected. 

When you did the incoming/outgoing call test, was the other line involved in the test a Public Mobile line?  From past experience I found that when a port was submitted in an activation, other Public Mobile customers would be able to reach the number before the port completes but other non Telus brands would not be able to complete calls in the same way until the port was completed.  This had to do with the servers from the various companies syncing up and actually moving a number from server to server.  It is possible the momentarily before the port rejection your Shaw number was being recognized.  

brettc454

@will13am, thanks....manual intervention is next step....cheers

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @brettc454   landline can take as many as 7 days to port, has it been 7 days yet?  I would think it has not been 7 days yet and Shaw's line still working and you got mixed up thinking the porting was not successful

three is a number to call to talk to porting team, call them and ask.   i will send you the number , check Community inbox

jib_tech
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Did you get the text approving the port? Did you use your shaw account number?

brettc454

Curious to know why it worked for a few minutes, is this to be expected. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@brettc454 , I don't know what to say about this.  There was another case like yours earlier today but the person was unsure whether the port failure was due to other issues and is following up.  I have a data point on porting problems.  A friend with Koodo postpaid tried to port to Public Mobile and it did not work.  The port checker said ineligible.  Anyway, the port did complete in the end via manual intervention through support ticket and porting team.  I suggest using the chatbot link below and initiating a support ticket and see if they can do some magic.

Need Help? Let's chat.