cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"NIP code" of minimum 4 digits

hockeykong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I transferred my SIM card from my old phone to my new one.  Now the phone when I turn it on asks for a "NIP code" of minimum 4 digits.  This is apparently not the phone but the SIM card that is asking for that code.  I have no idea how to get that.  I have read a bunch of posts about this but they all end up talking about PUK number, which is NOT what I need.

The model of the phone is: Samsung SM-J337W

It was purchased at a Bell Mobility boutique on 2019/03/20

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

@hockeykong wrote:

It is askin for a "NIP code".  That is exactly how it is written.

I have verified twice and the Bell people have assured me that the phone has been unlocked.

This could also possibly be the phone's screenlock security code, although you would have been asked for that code every time you unlocked your screen if that was the case.  If this is the SIM card's code that you is being asked for, a new SIM card would sofve this issue as that new SIM card would have a code of 1234.

When it comes to the suggest to contacting a Public Mobile CSA, there isn't any way for a CSA to know the current PIN code of your SIM card.  They could provide the SIM card's PUK and that would allow you to cotninue without knowing the SIM card's PIN.

hockeykong

Thank you, I will submit a ticket then.

Thanks again for being so fast.  At least one of the steps went quickly ; )

hockeykong

It is askin for a "NIP code".  That is exactly how it is written.

I have verified twice and the Bell people have assured me that the phone has been unlocked.

@hockeykong   Submit a ticket to customer support via chatbot and they maybe able to override the PIN (don't know for sure).

Here's a link to customer support:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help

@hockeykong wrote:

Thanks for the swift reply!

Well, that's what I was afraid of.  That means *I* changed it and I already looked everywhere without success.  I don't even remember changing it, but it had to have been me, based on what you've written.

So now what can I do?

Thanks again, first time in a while I get a human being that can write or talk in a way I understand ; )

Are you certain that the phone isn't asking for the SIM Network Unlock PIN? That would mean that the phone is still locked to to Bell Mobility and you would need to get the phone's unlock code from Bell.

hockeykong

Thanks for the swift reply!

Well, that's what I was afraid of.  That means *I* changed it and I already looked everywhere without success.  I don't even remember changing it, but it had to have been me, based on what you've written.

So now what can I do?

Thanks again, first time in a while I get a human being that can write or talk in a way I understand ; )

@hockeykong wrote:

I transferred my SIM card from my old phone to my new one.  Now the phone when I turn it on asks for a "NIP code" of minimum 4 digits.  This is apparently not the phone but the SIM card that is asking for that code.  I have no idea how to get that.  I have read a bunch of posts about this but they all end up talking about PUK number, which is NOT what I need.

The model of the phone is: Samsung SM-J337W

It was purchased at a Bell Mobility boutique on 2019/03/20

The PIN/NIP on all Public Mobile SIM cards is 1234 unless it has been changed by someone.

Need Help? Let's chat.