cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving provinces

Sam45
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I currently live in Ontario,, but we are moving to BC.  Do I have to cancel my current phone number and start a new one when I get to BC?

4 REPLIES 4

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Check here looking at city you want at the Telus numbers and you will find what there is to offer for 604 (<=unlikely), 778, 250, 236, 672.

I found a little gem regarding getting new 604 numbers in the lower mainland with Public Mobile (or Telus Mobility, Koodo): When choosing the location in the self-serve portal, choose "BC-SECHELT". Sechelt has local calling to & from all 23 exchanges in the BC lower mainland local calling area:

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?exch=017400

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Sam45 wrote:

I currently live in Ontario,, but we are moving to BC.  Do I have to cancel my current phone number and start a new one when I get to BC?

Welcome to BC!!!  What part are you coming too?

If you have a Canada Wide calling plan then you don't have to do anything. But your BC friends might not like calling you using LD. You might want to change your address in your My Account. You should always know your PIN #, Name Used, and the address that is on your account for verification purposes. 

You can change your number FREE every 30 days. Your chosen phone number attaches you to a province and you then pay sales tax for that province. So if you keep your ON # you will continue to pay ON taxes and if you choose a BC # you will pay 12%. Some that activate NEW accounts choose an Alberta number, top up at the 5% tax rate and then choose a number for the City and Province that they prefer. Personally I would not bother as the savings is only $7 for every hundred. 

Check here looking at city you want at the Telus numbers and you will find what there is to offer for 604 (<=unlikely), 778, 250, 236, 672.  You will have to check each area code in the URL below. Last time I looked it was not easy to find a 604 or 778 number. There are some tricks to get a 604 number. 

https://cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Sam45 wrote:

Changing your phone number is not required. However, you may wish to do so for convenience of those calling you from your new local area in BC. You can choose a new number (for free once every 30 days) by logging into your self-serve account and choosing "Change Number".

Public Mobile calculates sales tax for online and auto-pay based credit card payments based on the province of your phone number. If you are driving out to BC, on your way you could stop in at a gas station or other retailer that sells Public Mobile payment vouchers in Alberta, and pay only 5% GST on a one time voucher purchase. 😉

If you don't want to change your number, you can get a local number in BC by signing up with a service like freephoneline.ca or fongo mobile and forwarding it to your existing Ontario number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sam45 : No.

However, you would be paying 1% less in tax if you got a BC number. (taxes are based on the province that your area code belongs to).

If you have Canada-wide then you're fine. If you kept the ON # then people in BC would be calling you using their own calling capabilities ie. could be long distance for them.

Need Help? Let's chat.