cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone switching from Speakout to PM data fix

jrayhenry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi All, 
New to Public Mobile and excited to finally see a decent and affordable service. Should of switched months ago! 

This is more of an FYI post and not a question. Ended up troubleshooting this myself but I figured I should post incase anyone else experiences this issue I had last night (Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not please direct me in the right direction). Also note that this maybe more specifc for people switching from Speakout to PM and had previously downloaded a custom APN profile to get their speakout data working. 

On a iPhone XR and was previously on Speakout Wireless(7eleven), last night I activated PM sim card and transfered my number. Worked almost flawlessly except for the my data. 
After multiple reboots, messing with APN settings, etc. Was about to reset my phone to factory until I remembered that I downloaded a custom APN profile to get Speakout working on my phone. Uninstalling the profile fixed it immediatly. No custom APN profile required for Public Mobile. 

To uninstall a old APN profile. Settings > General > Profiles (or just search Profiles in search). Uninstall any old APN profiles you may have installed. Done! 

6 REPLIES 6

TCY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks. That was exactly my problem and you helped me solve it. If you're porting from Speakout or any provider that uses special APNs, you have to delete it.

jrayhenry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

To remove any existing APN profiles, you can do it from the Profile menu I mentioned earlier. 
Simply select the APN profile itself and at the bottom select "Delete Profile" 
Little guide I found online here: https://my.econnectjapan.com/set-up/uninstall/
The guide appears to be using a older version of iOS but it's still the same. I've attached a few screenshots from that gude. 
2. Go to Profile

3. Start Delete Profile

@Ed404 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.  Manually added APNs can be deleted.  APNs that are found in database on the phone cannot be edited or deleted.  Usually the phone APN database is comprehensive enough to cover all but the rarest carrier brands.  

If adding the APN blows it up remove it. Even if my phone works without the APN I still add it anyways just in case. Doing this hasn't made it worse yet.

Thanks for the info on the "database" APNs.

What do you accomplish by duplication?  

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am wrote:

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.  Manually added APNs can be deleted.  APNs that are found in database on the phone cannot be edited or deleted.  Usually the phone APN database is comprehensive enough to cover all but the rarest carrier brands.  

If adding the APN blows it up remove it. Even if my phone works without the APN I still add it anyways just in case. Doing this hasn't made it worse yet.

Thanks for the info on the "database" APNs.

@Ed404 wrote:

Just to be on the safe side you could add the Public Mobile APN. If it works it works.

How do you delete APNs? I have 2 of them on my phone and I cannot delete them.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.  Manually added APNs can be deleted.  APNs that are found in database on the phone cannot be edited or deleted.  Usually the phone APN database is comprehensive enough to cover all but the rarest carrier brands.  @jrayhenry , thanks for the feedback and welcome to Public Mobile.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just to be on the safe side you could add the Public Mobile APN. If it works it works.

How do you delete APNs? I have 2 of them on my phone and I cannot delete them.

Need Help? Let's chat.