cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5s LTE status during a call?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

So someone in the below reddit thread claims their iPhone 5s continues to display "LTE" in the status bar during a call with Public Mobile. In my experience with Android on Public Mobile, the indicator always switches to 3G, or H+ during a call, then switches back to LTE afterwards. I'm not an iPhone guy, so does anyone else here use an iPhone 5s and can confirm if they see similar behaviour? This would lead one to think that PM supports VoLTE, which as far as I know is still not supported with Public Mobile...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicMobile/comments/ojkt24/comment/h56hknl/

4 REPLIES 4

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nezgar 

Interesting find/observation... I'm curious whether it's either a bug, or a session handshake issue where the call is initiated over 3G (for example) but hasn't "signed off" from LTE and thus keeps the icon there as an active session.  I'd be curious what happens when they try and use data during a phone call... does the icon disappear then?  I suppose this is just curiosity at this point! 🙂

@computergeek541 

Yeah I agree with everything you say, so my only thought is its some kind of display quirk this person saw......

@mh1983 wrote:

Hmmm, doubtful somehow, though I don't have an iPhone to confirm. PM definitely uses 3G for voice call traffic. Perhaps the iPhone continues to show LTE because of the data connection.

A phone can't maintain connection with and LTE network and an HSPA network at the same time (unless it's dual SIM and is able to use both plans as active at the same time).

@Nezgar 

Unless Public Mobile has enabled VoLTE, I'm sure you're aware that just isn't happening (staying on LTE during a call).  Although I'm not using an iPhone, I just made an outgoing call and it still switches from LTE to HSPA as exepcted.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hmmm, doubtful somehow, though I don't have an iPhone to confirm. PM definitely uses 3G for voice call traffic. Perhaps the iPhone continues to show LTE because of the data connection.

Need Help? Let's chat.