cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad pro cellular and phone plan - add on?

pabarnes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all - I just got my 2020 iPad Pro w cellular and I'm wondering if I can just add the ipad to the plan on my cell phone and if I still need to purchase a SIM card for the iPad.

Please let me know what is best way to proceed - add on to phone plan or get separate phone plan for iPad.

Big thanks,

Pat

9 REPLIES 9

poutinecity
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The iPad uses an eSIM rather than a physical SIM, so OP wouldn't be able to activate it separately.  Hot spotting is a good call, especially if you have a lot of data with your regular plan.

And some freebies on the iPad would be useless. But the OP could use the iPad SIM in a phone. 

Would be confusing to tell fiends and family your iPad phone number. Which would work as a phone in an awkward hit and miss. .BUT you could call forward the iPad sim number to the day to day phone. Lots of options for sure. 

Could try two SIMS. Do a cost evaluation and cancel iPad plan then adjust the phone  plan accordingly and get used to using phone as a hot spot. 

@DennyCrane wrote:

Can the OP not open a new account, buy a new SIM, and activate a new plan?

Yes but would pay for talking and needs data only. Perhaps there is a better deal for data only.  PM used to have a data only plan....1 or 2 gb. Then $15 for a 1gb add-on...perhaps less if you buy from points?

Hot spotting your phone is cheaper of course (and is what I'd do),

I agree, but if for some reason the OP doesn’t want carry 2 devices....then not a good choice

but is there anything stopping the OP from using a phone/text/data plan on a second sim/account in the iPad?

No....they can do that. I use a $15 SIM in a ZTE box for my land line. The only con is....I don’t get to see any texts from PM. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Can the OP not open a new account, buy a new SIM, and activate a new plan? Hot spotting your phone is cheaper of course (and is what I'd do), but is there anything stopping the OP from using a phone/text/data plan on a second sim/account in the iPad?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@pabarnes 

I would assume that the idea of having a cellular iPad is for data use only. And assuming you are an Apple person with an iPhone too.

Keep in mind:

Use your iPhone as a hot spot. Thus putting all the data on one plan only. 

You can set up your iPad and iPhone to receive and send same emails, using data (or hotspot) or wifi. 

You can set up your iPad and iPhone to receive and send same cellular texts and iMessages using data (or hotspot) or wifi. 

The only thing you can’t do, is send an attachment or pic by text to an android  from the iPad. 

pabarnes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello friends,

Thanks for the super speedy RSVP's - I can see that the way to go is to hotspot - sure don't want anymore e-mails etc.

Thanks! You are the best!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @pabarnes   There is no family plan.  If you need your iPad has it only data using Mobile, then you need to setpu another account, using another email address to create the new account

@pabarnes wrote:

Hi all - I just got my 2020 iPad Pro w cellular and I'm wondering if I can just add the ipad to the plan on my cell phone and if I still need to purchase a SIM card for the iPad.

Please let me know what is best way to proceed - add on to phone plan or get separate phone plan for iPad.

Only one active SIM card per account can be used at a time.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@pabarnes   No but you can use you existing sim

card in the iPad or just hot spot your cellular data to the iPad 

adding  you can creat another account for the iPad but each account needs its own email 

Need Help? Let's chat.