cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use texting

NT3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I don't know how to activate texting and how to enter international phone numbers. I have Android and had Signal messaging which I uninstalled to use Public. should I see a special icon? thank you for your help. Have a wonderful day!

8 REPLIES 8

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@NT3 wrote:

Hi, when I signed on to PublicMobile I changed my phone number, my attempts to change my phone # on Signal failed because they send a verification code and I have to back out of settings to get the code, then all my setting entries are erased and they send a new code... on & on it's an endless loopd, I thought help on the computer but didn't get it because they expect the link to the phone log and I didn't know how to get it... I use very little texting but I get a lot of verification codes!!!

@NT3  - if you just activated with Public Mobile within the last week...which your Community start date may suggest, then verification codes may not be fully functional on your new Public Mobile account yet.

For some reason, after activating a new account, short codes take some time to 'find your new account/number'. So, if it has been a week, give it a few more days, and hopefully all will be coming to you soon. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

wow not very intuitive on Signal's part, well good luck whichever way you go

NT3

Thank you will check if it's still there even though Google is very invasive, they keep track of you all the time

NT3

Hi, when I signed on to PublicMobile I changed my phone number, my attempts to change my phone # on Signal failed because they send a verification code and I have to back out of settings to get the code, then all my setting entries are erased and they send a new code... on & on it's an endless loopd, I thought help on the computer but didn't get it because they expect the link to the phone log and I didn't know how to get it... I use very little texting but I get a lot of verification codes!!!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@NT3  - Android phones come with a default messages app. 

Google Messages is another user friendly app to use.

But, if you like Signal, install that again and use it.

You can use all the above for your texting needs with any provider.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

SMS app is standard for any Android phone. Check if you did not remove it by accident. Should be among all apps list.

To use it, just open it, tap on pencil, tap on Compose, enter phone number (area code, any other code before actual number, etc.), enter message and tap Send.

You can send SMS to yourself to confirm app is working as expected.

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Why you ditch Signal?  you can keep using it

SMS, you text like how you call the person.  Which country is your friend?

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Texting service is automatic. Enter international numbers as you would for calling them; +1 plus the country code plus local phone number. 

Need Help? Let's chat.