cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing APN settings made my phone hot when trying MMS, what did i do wrong.

dent007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi, i can use mms now that i have a new 4g phone, all the correct settings are in the phone now, after new phone setup. I did not have to touch APN settings. I am reluctant to change APN in my 3g phones now. Can i get the same auto setup for MMS on the 3g phones now by doing a full reset.?

6 REPLIES 6

With your sim in that old phone, can you browse websites not on wifi? Maybe provide images of your apn settings so we can see what you have.

Do you turn off mobile data when not in use? If so, does it still get hot?

Specific make and model of phone would be helpful

dent007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thank you for your reply.

i wanted to know can i get mms on any 3g android ph. ? it looks like having a 4g(lte) phone is the way to go for mms, less headaches.

my 3g got hot when i put in APN settings i found on here. this phone i have had for years and never gets hot, thats why i was asking about a new setup for it, because of how easy it was to get mms after setting up my new 4g phone. Makes me think as mentioned above it all depends on the phone you have.

You can take the device out of its case. Make sure all the vent holes are unplugged - even the speaker, mic, power port, buttons, etc. The manufacturers try to hide all the ugly holes as much as possible, but the reality is that they make technologically dense and cheap devices which need to cool themselves off during normal operation. Simply propping the device on a pair of pencils (or whatever) to make a little air convection gap can be surprisingly effective. Suffocating the device on a flat hot surface can be surprisingly awful.

Don't use the device in an oven. If your device is struggling in an ambient of 35C+ then the built-in cooling solutions aren't going to work well. Put a fan on it, put it in a fridge if you have to, keep the loads light and runtimes short if you can. Burning your computer through a heatwave isn't going to end well.

You can replace the battery. Dead or dying batteries won't hold much charge for long. They get hot while charging. They get hot while discharging. And they get even hotter while charging and discharging at the same time - this is common when people plug their mobile device into an outlet to keep using it while the battery is basically dead. This problem never gets better, only worse. Running the device too hot will gradually but irreversibly inflict all sorts of subtle electrical damage, chemical damage, and accelerated wear onto ever-degrading silicon. It can even be a fire hazard, the failsafes usually work but there's always a non-zero risk of catastrophic failure.

You can do a factory reset. Clear all the bloat and baggage and junk it carries around. Restore the default settings on things (whatever they might be). Remove all possibility of malwares or malfunctions burning your CPU cycles.

If you do this then be sure to backup any data you want to keep first. And test the backup before you need to depend on it. Manually copy files to a PC/Mac or write stuff down if you have to.

The device should never overheat badly during normal operations. Using it for calls and texts and data are normal operations.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@dent007 what 3G phone do you have?

Yes, usually with most Morth American version of thr phone, a network reset or factory reset (with the PM sim card inside) and then setup the phone would get all the correct APN settings , but there are odd cases and you will need to manually set it up.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dent007  glad mms works now.

If you have another phone having an issue, try performing a Reset of your device's Network Settings. This is not a full reset of the phone, you will not lose information or anything.

But it will reset Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before, so you'll have to log into those again.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@dent007    Not sure what you mean by stating that changing the APN settings made your phone hot?  That's more likely to be an issue with your device/battery and not APN being updated.

You'll need to input the correct APN settings if your other phone doesn't do that automatically.  Here's a link to PM's APN settings for android and Iphone.

Android:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

Iphone:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-iphone

Need Help? Let's chat.