cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You're charging me the wrong tax rate, how do I correct this?

tots89
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just noticed that I've been getting charged Nova Scotia tax rates when I should be getting charged British Columbia tax rates (as is my CC billing address). How do I fix this? I've re-added my credit card (2 months ago) and no update. 

I'd like to talk to someone through chat instead of broadcasting this to the world and Simon the robot is an idiot. 

I'm so close to switching back to my old provider, begging Simon to talk to a real person only to have it get stuck in some sort of while loop, the never ending greyed out "submit ticket", and now not being able to submit this post until I figure out a "label". 

7 REPLIES 7

@tots89 wrote:

I thought it was the opposite, goods charge tax on location whereas services are billing address. If what you are saying is true then I could just pick the province with the lowest taxes and get a number there? 

@tots89   since PM is prepaid , they don't validate address, so they have to charge based on the phone number's area code

and you are certainly correct, you can pick an Alberta phone number to save the the tax (lowest tax rate). Of course, you have to make sure all your friends have Canada wide calling and they can call you for free without long distance charge.

tots89

I thought it was the opposite, goods charge tax on location whereas services are billing address. If what you are saying is true then I could just pick the province with the lowest taxes and get a number there? 

@tots89 wrote:

Fair enough, I don't want to deal with buying vouchers, so is my only option changing my number? There isn't any way to port over my number to keep my area code but be charged based on CC billing address? I have a lot of contacts and don't want to have to do the whole "new number...." thing. 

Thanks for your responses!

Your telephone number would still be a NS based number...hence billed at their tax rate...no matter what address you use.

@tots89 wrote:

Fair enough, I don't want to deal with buying vouchers, so is my only option changing my number? There isn't any way to port over my number to keep my area code but be charged based on CC billing address?

Port your number .... to where @tots89 ?   Porting in the mobile phone industry means 'moving' your number from one mobile service provider to another.  But it seems you are staying here - with Public Mobile.   Are you?

The credit card billing address has no association with the tax rate.   For instance, if you had a relative in Alberta who was using their credit card to pay for your services, the taxes charged would not be based on their address.

tots89

Fair enough, I don't want to deal with buying vouchers, so is my only option changing my number? There isn't any way to port over my number to keep my area code but be charged based on CC billing address? I have a lot of contacts and don't want to have to do the whole "new number...." thing. 

Thanks for your responses!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @tots89   

sorry, PM is charging tax based on the phone number's area code.  You still have an NS phone number, and hence still charging NS rate

You have two ways to save some tax $

1. change your phone number to a BC number

2. Buy voucher from local stores.  Local store will then charge you BC rate.  Then you can load voucher using *611 or via My Account before payment due date

Enjoy the saving

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Your taxed at the phone number location. If it's a NS number...then that's the tax rate.

added...

you can log in to your account and get a new BC number instead of a NS number.

change.png

Need Help? Let's chat.