cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi phone network bands

hanihakam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I NEED HELP !

I'm about to buy this Xiaomi phone, its just been released a week ago and I'm not sure if it'll work on Public mobile because I don't under stand the network bands meaning. it states that the phone has these following bands:

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: Band B1/B2/B5/B8
4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B5/B7/B8/B20 TDD-LTE B38/B40

and here is the product link for more informtion:

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_757530.html?wid=4&utm_source=mail_api&utm_medium=mail&utm_ca...

thanks in advance for your help

19 REPLIES 19

hanihakam

Both  my wife's Mi A1 and my Mi Max 2 that I just ordered are from GeabGear, I trust it. But you can order them from AliExpress too but you can't pay with PayPal. As for the chargers, when you order a "Global version" ,which I recommend, it always comes eiita EU charger but they send you Ana adapter according to where you're ordering from, so mi wife's Mi A1 came with EU charger + US adapter. Of you're ordering from GearBest make sure to select the Registered Air Mail option for shipping, not the Express (DHL) option. It might take longer but you won't pay any customs, handling fees

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My issue is many SMS messages are not coming in, and today I confirmed it's not just with other iphone users (I have never had an iphone so nothing to do with my number).

Where did you buy your xiaomi phones, Gearbest.com? What kind of charger cord did it come with, was it the north american plug style or did you need an adaptor?

hanihakam

Works absolutely perfect for the wife, she's on Koodo which is the same network as oublpu mobile (Telus network). And I just ordered for myself a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 last night, can't wait for it to arrive, I have big hopes. What SMS did you have ? And was it with a Mi A1 ?

on2wheels

Hows the MiA1 working so far? I just ordered one to see if the problem with my SMS not working is because of my poor handset.

hanihakam

Just an update on this topic, so I ended up buying the Xiaomi Mi A1 for the wife and it works absolutely perfect and she gets 4G no problem. I believe Xiaomi offers a wode variety of very good ohones for the fraction of the cost of other flagship names

hanihakam

@texwood wrote:

@hanihakam wrote:
 I think I'll order the Xiaomi Mi A1, it's a great phone and has Android One (unlike all Xiaomi phones that have their custom Android, MIUI) for a fraction of the price of any flagship phone

If Mi A has NFC, I would have considered it as well.  Moto X4 A1 has it but it is reserved for only Project Fi customers.

I don't think it's gonna be the same price at all

texwood

@hanihakam wrote:
 I think I'll order the Xiaomi Mi A1, it's a great phone and has Android One (unlike all Xiaomi phones that have their custom Android, MIUI) for a fraction of the price of any flagship phone

If Mi A has NFC, I would have considered it as well.  Moto X4 A1 has it but it is reserved for only Project Fi customers.

hanihakam

@texwood wrote:

I was checking out Mi 6 as well but it too is missing B4.  

Also it's doesn't help when Xiaomi lists have different specs based on different contries.  For example, on Hong Kong's site, Mi A1 lists B4 as its specs.  However, India's site does not.  So are they producing different revisions of the phone for different countries,  are they enabling different bands for different countries using software, or simply didn't list it on the website because the band isn't need in that countries?  It's hard to tell by just using only website information.

Maybe they don't list them all. But as I said , my brother has a Xiaomi 4x 4g and he's with Koodo Wich is the same network as Public Mobile and it's working fine with him and he gets 4g. I think I'll order the Xiaomi Mi A1, it's a great phone and has Android One (unlike all Xiaomi phones that have their custom Android, MIUI) for a fraction of the price of any flagship phone

texwood

I was checking out Mi 6 as well but it too is missing B4.  

Also it's doesn't help when Xiaomi lists have different specs based on different contries.  For example, on Hong Kong's site, Mi A1 lists B4 as its specs.  However, India's site does not.  So are they producing different revisions of the phone for different countries,  are they enabling different bands for different countries using software, or simply didn't list it on the website because the band isn't need in that countries?  It's hard to tell by just using only website information.

hanihakam

@sheytoon wrote:

Yes, location makes a difference for sure.

You'd need B4 or B2 LTE in Halifax for consistent LTE coverage, in addition to B5 which you already have.

So this means I'll only get 3g ! That sucks. But how come other xiaomi model (Mi 4x 4g) that my brother has he gets 4g no problem , he's with Koodo (same bands as PM I assume) and he also lives in Halifax

Yes, location makes a difference for sure.

You'd need B4 or B2 LTE in Halifax for consistent LTE coverage, in addition to B5 which you already have.

hanihakam

I live in Halifax, NS if that makes a difference !

@zhadj030

You have summarized it perfectly! Missing B4 is really going to limit the LTE coverage depending on where @hanihakam lives.

hanihakam

i didn't fine the Mi A1 amongst the Xiaomi list, but mybrother has a Mi 4X 4G and has LTE on Koodo

hanihakam

xiaomimy brother bought anothe model of Xiaomi (Mi 4x 4g) and he's on Koodo ans has LTE reception. I could not find the Mi A1 on willmyphonework as its still new (launched about 1 week ago)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

B7 is a compatible FDD-LTE band for public mobile.  I don't think that it's as popular as B4.  Expect to be on 3G most of the time.   Compatible bands on Public Mobile are B2, B4, B7, B17. I find xioami models to be really poor when it comes to North America LTE band compatibility.

MaurthMaurth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am pretty sure those are GSM networks, But don't quote me on that.  willmyphonework is a great resource.  They are pretty accurate, I used to use that site over my internal database when I worked for Telus.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Will work with 3G but not really a full coverage of 4G/LTE

only bands supported for the 4G are B5 and B7 on this phone , and the main 4G/LTE band by PM is B4 so I am assuming that you will only get 4G/LTE in limited places

@sheytoon is our expert, he can confirm more about it .

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@hanihakam, go to www.willmyphonework.net and if you have the model number check to see if it will work on the network.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.