cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong caller ID display with my phone number

linhvuuk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello:

I called my friend today and realized that my caller id is a company name, could you please remove that?

Regards,

27 REPLIES 27

Some phones like Samsung have an app pre-installed called "Smart Call" which checks calls against an online database, which is mostly sourced from people sharing their address books.. Obviously this can get out of date.

Hiya / Smartcall unlink: https://hiyahelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=824667

Another common app is https://www.truecaller.com/

Unlist link for TrueCaller: https://www.truecaller.com/unlisting

Youmail: https://support.youmail.com/hc/en-us/articles/204355943-How-to-Change-or-Remove-Your-Listing-in-the-...

Other services may have unlist links tool as well...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pkaraa : I wonder that you might be misunderstanding. No one is disputing your workaround idea. I had apparently skimmed over htidegnow reply mentioning it. I was a little focused on other things going on. I saw your reply and liked it.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@linhvuuk wrote:

Thank you, it does make sense to me now, cause not everyone receiving my phone call would display that ID. I guess it is just the database service that my friend using that is the cause of the problem....that's what the very first response from Community Forum contributor suggested is the issue. Wouldn't that be the more accurate Solution ?

@linhvuuk 

I have went ahead and changed the solution.  I am fully aware that z10user4 had first mentioned third party databases.  My response was in reply to another member's post to explain why specific troubleshooting steps weren't applicable in this type of situation.  I also added that the recipient could save the number and assign a name.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Tested scenario...

a bank calls, it shows the bank name but if I save that number with an employee name, it starts showing that employee's name if the bank calls again.

@pkaraa wrote:

savings your number in contacts will supersede the caller id by network.

That was suggested earlier to have the receiver save the number and to enter a name. However, this doesn't override the celluar network in this case as Public Mobile doesn't send any name to begin with.

@pkaraa wrote:

True .. nothing beat this fix  🙂

Some carriers  like Rogers, Fido, Telus, Kodoo have name display which they will resolve the phone number with name.  So if OP's friend got the wrong name from the carrier, OP friend  has to open a ticket with the carrier.  I don't think it worth the effort

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@linhvuuk wrote:

Thank you, it does make sense to me now, cause not everyone receiving my phone call would display that ID. I guess it is just the database service that my friend using that is the cause of the problem....that's what the very first response from Community Forum contributor suggested is the issue. Wouldn't that be the more accurate Solution ?

@linhvuuk 

@Anonymous wrote:

@linhvuuk 

*maybe is help*

you and your friend can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do Rebooting your phone, This is quick and simple,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Please note that aside from running call spoofing software, that there aren't any settings on the outgoing caller's device that can change the name and/or phone nunber displayed by receiving caller's phone.  Unfortunately, taking the SIM card out and reinserting it, toggling airplane mode, or restarting the device that is making the outgoing call won't fix this either.  As stated earlier, Public Mobile does not transmit a name.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@linhvuuk wrote:

Thank you, it does make sense to me now, cause not everyone receiving my phone call would display that ID. I guess it is just the database service that my friend using that is the cause of the problem. I will talk to him tomorrow to figure that out. Thanks everyone for the replies!

@linhvuuk 

*maybe is help*

you and your friend can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do Rebooting your phone, This is quick and simple,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

linhvuuk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you, it does make sense to me now, cause not everyone receiving my phone call would display that ID. I guess it is just the database service that my friend using that is the cause of the problem. I will talk to him tomorrow to figure that out. Thanks everyone for the replies!

@Anonymous wrote:

@linhvuuk 

To view or change the Caller ID settings, follow these steps:
  1. From the Home screen, select Menu.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Scroll and select Call Settings.
  4. Scroll and select Send My Caller ID.
  5. Choose from the following: Set by network. On. Off.

There aren't any regular settings that can make the receiving end show a wrong name or company name on the receiving end.  As for making sure that outgoing call display is enabled, it must already be or the receiving person would be seeing any information at all.  Unfortunately, there isn't anything that @linhvuuk  can do to fix this. This isn't a Public Mobile issue, but one of the database that the receiving device is connecting to. The receiving person could also save the phone number and make the name display as anything desired.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@linhvuuk 

your iPhone. To fix this, you can update your carrier settings. This may help you because Caller ID is a cellular network feature. On your iPhone, tap Settings > General > About. If there is an update, a popup will appear saying “New settings are available. Would you like to update them now?” Tap Update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh...yeah...what @hTideGnow said is even better.

Edit: The option just suggested is for you to show your number or not. Again...not relevant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@linhvuuk 

To view or change the Caller ID settings, follow these steps:
  1. From the Home screen, select Menu.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Scroll and select Call Settings.
  4. Scroll and select Send My Caller ID.
  5. Choose from the following: Set by network. On. Off.

@Anonymous wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Anonymous   pretty sure PM won't be able to help so I guess the ticket is not needed.  PM only send number info as Caller id

@hTideGnow @linhvuuk 

maybe the number have he/she has not probably right in account, and they CSA have to check it you know.

*There are three main circumstances that cause a caller ID to be displayed incorrectly: The originating carrier may have incorrectly formatted or not transmitted the original "From" number. This usually results in a missing caller ID, or a "translated" number code.

if PM sent the wrong number, the caller id would still show the wrong number..still a number.  There is NO NAME sent to the receiver end.    Trust me, I know what I am talking about.  I am not even guessing and saying "maybe"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Anonymous   pretty sure PM won't be able to help so I guess the ticket is not needed.  PM only send number info as Caller id

@hTideGnow @linhvuuk 

maybe the number have he/she has not probably right in account, and they CSA have to check it you know.

Then say that. Just simply telling a customer to bother the CSA's for seemingly no reason wastes everybody's time.

Or...ask that. Hey OP...what does your outgoing number look like anyway. Maybe it's actually looking like the wrong number.

Not a terrible guess....but pretty darn reaching.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@linhvuuk...try calling someone else to see what their call display shows.

As previously suggested...your friend has to amend his contacts info.

Not necessary to  contact Public Mobile customer assistance for this.

edit

the name display wrong issue is on your friend's end.

A quick way to resolve it is to ask your friend to check if he has created the contact with wrong name.  If he does not have a contact created for your number yet, create one and they would override whatever name lookup app/service he is using

if you want everything perfect, ask him what name lookup app he is using and open a ticket with that app owner to try to change it on his or her database.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow wrote:

@hTideGnow @linhvuuk 

*There are three main circumstances that cause a caller ID to be displayed incorrectly: The originating carrier may have incorrectly formatted or not transmitted the original "From" number. This usually results in a missing caller ID, or a "translated" number code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@linhvuuk : Those call display and call block options are for your incoming calls. Not relevant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@linhvuuk : You don't need to waste the time of the CSA's. It's not this end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@linhvuuk 

but i don't think so public mobile has a caller ID display, but you can try to Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,and Explain your issue to they can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck..

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@linhvuuk PM does not sent name info on caller id.

the issue is either your friend's has your number setup as a contact and entered the wrong name (the company name) or your friend has used some kind of name resolve services but this is out of PM control.

You can try to call other friends or your home and you should see only your number is displayed

Anonymous
Not applicable

@linhvuuk : Public Mobile does not transmit the name of the caller. Just the number. Your recipient might have your number related to that business as a contact. Or they're using a database that still thinks that number belongs to that business.

Need Help? Let's chat.