cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my phone still work in Canada if I purchase a US 10 day Talk, Text & Data plan?

HR650
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

OK, 'newby' here -> need to catch our flight to Mexico from the US so we will be driving down to Seattle.  We will be on route for over a day and I just want to clarify that when I purchase the shortest time available that my Canadian plan will still work before we cross the border.

Thank you! 

6 REPLIES 6

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@HR650 

The minimum is a 15 days plan so it might be a waste if you only need it for 2 hour drive down and 1 day/night.

You might want to use WhatsApp or TextNow app on wifi at the airport or hotel.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@HR650 

whether or not you buy the 15 Day US Roaming add-on, you'll still have PM service whilst in Canada.

If you do buy the talk/text add-on, then you might have cell service as soon as you (a) cross into US and (b) connect to T-Mobile as preferred network.

I say "might" because there's been reports of limited talk-abily in US. Some areas have decent service, and others have only sporadic service. I think closer to Seattle should be ok, but reliability will diminish as you move away from larger urban areas.

Texting should work fine.

Be aware that your PM features will not work in Mx. Consider downloading free voip app such as TextNow for use with free wifi in Mx. Most resorts, motels and eateries have free wifi now...you might just have to ask for their wifi password.

Alternative...once you get to Mx, get cheap Telcel sim and calling plan. You can get 30 days of International talk / text and 3GB data for about $20 Cdn.

HR650

Thank you for the information!

HR650

Thank you!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@HR650 

Yes!  😊

@HR650 wrote:

OK, 'newby' here -> need to catch our flight to Mexico from the US so we will be driving down to Seattle.  We will be on route for over a day and I just want to clarify that when I purchase the shortest time available that my Canadian plan will still work before we cross the border.

US roaming add-ons now last for 15 days.  As for use of Public Mobile service, having a roaming add-on (or not) won't affect that.

Need Help? Let's chat.