cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my PM Sim work when I am down in Nicaragua

sjbjoat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I am relocating to Nicaragua and am wondering will I get any service with my PM sim whilst I am making the transition?

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sjbjoat 

Your pm sim card will not work outside of Canada or the US whilst using US Roaming add ons. However there are some options to allow you to still use your pm service while transitioning to Nicaragua. I suggest before you leave you set up a voip number as suggested by @fujiyama  and call forward your pm phone number to it while you are still in Canada.

Schedule a change on next renewal to the $15 plan as this is the cheapest plan available and its all you will need for continued service until you decide you no longer need use of your pm number. I strongly suggest if possible to leave your sim card with a trusted friend or family member in Canada then they will be able to recieve verification codes by text to pass along to you for any accounts you cannot use a voice call verification method.

You can also consider setting up the mightytext app for a text forwarding service. However for it to work the pm sim card has to be put in a working android phone that is left powered on and connected to a charger so it does not power off. You then access your mightytext account online to view your texts, make calls etc...

There are other options for your pm service listed in the spoiler below that you may want to consider as well as letting your friend or family member take over your account once you no longer need it and take advantage of any accumulated rewards you may have that are no longer available to new customers that are now on the points program rather than the grandfathered rewards program. We can tell you how to transfer the account and remove your personal info and allow them to add their info and email etc....it could be a nice thank you for them helping you transition and perform any necessary info transfer from your pm number.

Spoiler
  1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator/CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number (or any other voip provider) before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels, Stay--Safe and enjoy your new life in Nicaragua!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

I've used TextNow while abroad...works great as long as you have wifi. I'm sure there's a few other good options as well.

sjbjoat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks - yes that is why I was trying to figure this out as it is all that silly sms verification crap from banks etc.  I will check out the voip option

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Nope....all PM features will cease to work. If you have an iPhone, you'll still be able to imessage other iphone'rs as long as you're getting a wifi signal. Best bet is to get a local sim and cheap plan...especially if you're gone for an extended length of time. Make sure your phone is unlocked before you leave Canada.

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No, PM will not work outside of Canada. You should try to secure a local plan/sim card before your move.

To keep your CAN number, you can setup a free voip that you use through apps, this way you can keep an active CAN number after your move as long as you have wifi/data. Check out Fongo, TextNow, and other similar services. Note: if you need your CAN number for SMS verification from banks, etc., you might need a paid voip service. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Not will not work.

Need Help? Let's chat.