cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a newer phone help with reception?

Islandgirl56
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have poor cell reception at my house. I currently have an iphone5s. Does anyone know if getting a newer iphone would help with the reception? or is there a phone that gets better reception? Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25

iOS updates are over for SE and downwards although it does hurt to pick up any missed ones. 

Hi @Islandgirl56   I am surprise an iPhone 6 would make a huge difference from iPhone 5.. Since you have a new phone now, try to factory reset you old one  , update the OS and maybe it will perfect better

Nice!!

Check here for proximity of closest Bell or Telus tower. 

We have had iPhone 4S, SE and 8 plus. Not much difference. 

Sometimes you have to find best spot in residence. Or out on the street...brrrrrr..

And of course do a walk about and check how many bars you have. 

Islandgirl56

Just an update - I got a newer iphone (iphone 6) and now have much better reception, so I guess the answer to the original question is YES!!!!!

Islandgirl56

@DryWater   oh that's an interesting idea. I will look for an iphone app like that. Thanks.

DryWater
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Islandgirl56 You're welcome. I'm not sure if an app like this exists for your iPhone, but with my Android phone I use an app called "Phone Signal" which can plot a chart of how strong the signal is. It's very helpful in troubleshooting as you don't have to rely on guesswork or the signal meter on your phone. It can help identify "dead zones" where the signal is poor, and it can also tell you how many cell towers my phone sees. If you have an app like that available, it'd be interesting to see what your results are.

Islandgirl56

@DryWater  Thanks for the tip. I've already tried that, i'm not sure if it's helped having it out of the case all that much.

DryWater
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Islandgirl56 One other thing to consider if you have a case for your phone is to see if removing the case improves your reception. Most cases should NOT interfere, but some can and it may be worth eliminating that as a possible source of your poor reception. 

For what it's worth, I'm able to make calls in my basement with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ (in a TPU case) without any drops or voice degradation.

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Islandgirl56 

There are no data charges to run up here. You just consume your data.

Public Mobile uses "3G" for voice.

Islandgirl56

@gpixel  The LTE toggle is under cellular data and my cellular data is turned off as I don't want to run up my data charges. I don't understand how switching off the LTE there would help with my phone reception.

@Islandgirl56 goto settings>cellular and you should see it in there. look for a 4g toggle or LTE and turn it off.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Islandgirl56 

Newer phones can tap into more and faster spectrums. Some of the newest spectrums can operate up to four times better inside buildings as opposed to older spectrums

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Islandgirl56 it may help, I found thia answer on reddit,

"Reception may improve due to the new phone supporting more bands and aggregation and having newer more efficient antenna designs"

Cheers

@Islandgirl56 what iOS version are you using?

Islandgirl56

@gpixelI can't find the options you've described to switch to HSPA

@Islandgirl56 wrote:

@gpixelare there any drawbacks to doing that?

None, unless LTE is better where you are. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Islandgirl56

@gpixelare there any drawbacks to doing that?

@Islandgirl56 try switching from LTE to HSPA. maybe you'll have better reception.

1.goto settings>mobile data>mobile data options

2.select voice data options

3.select 3g

Islandgirl56

@gblackmalol. It's mostly annoying when texting.

@Islandgirl56 in the meantime just use your phone in the places with the best reception in your home. Try the "can you hear me now" method of elimination. 😁.

Islandgirl56

@gpixel  Yeah trying anoth phone with my sim is a good idea, maybe not right now with covid, but worth a try at some point.

@Islandgirl56 the best test to do would be to put your sim in a friend's newer iPhone and see what the reception is like. granted their phone is unlocked.

Islandgirl56

Reception elsewhere is generally good.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Islandgirl56 how's the reception elsewhere? Thanks.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Islandgirl56 it could help.. newer phones have better antennas. more frequencies. there are no guarantees that you will get better reception especially if you live in brick walls, underground.

Need Help? Let's chat.