cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will PM revert back like Koodo for Canada wide calling?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Koodo backtracked its province wide plans. Wonder if PM will do the same. 🤔🤔🤔

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/03/09/koodo-reverts-canada-wide-calling-provincial-calling-change/

23 REPLIES 23

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jb456 wrote:

Will PM revert back like Koodo for Canada wide calling?

YES they have!  PM is offering the Canada Wide calling on their website: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/ 

Announced on Mobile Syrup, Public Mobile have cancelled the Province Wide Plans, 

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/04/09/public-mobile-discontinues-province-wide-calling-plans-after-back... 

@laoli wrote:

I guess yes.  It's a trend to be national wide for cell plans,  but  Telus is trying to move back.

The Oracles recently asked Public Mobile about this. For now, the announced plan changes with Canada-wide plans costing $5 more are going forward.

laoli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I guess yes.  It's a trend to be national wide for cell plans,  but  Telus is trying to move back.

Of course Telus has that data. They have to calculate their income every year to file taxes. They publish their numbers to shareholders, they let other numbers "leak" to generate media interest. They know exactly how much each subscriber pays them and exactly how much each subscriber costs them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies

Numbers are a little dated but total Telus/Koodo/Public subscribers for 2018 are listed as 8,311,000 postpaid plus 924,000 prepaid (which adds up to 9,235,000 in 2018 or to 10,600,000 in 2020, lol).

And we know that Telus/Koodo are prepaid or postpaid while Public is strictly prepaid.

For Telus it's roughly 90% postpaid and 10% prepaid. For Rogers and Bell (and Shaw) the ratios are different.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@computergeek541 But why would that be their goal? Wouldn't it not much matter as long as a new customer picks one of their tiers? I mean of course they want people paying main telus prices, but for those not willing to, shouldn't they be happy they've picked their company at all? 

there are only so many customers. Telus must have reserach data that tells that more money is made off of postpaid customers  compared to prepaid, even if the price plan is better at the postpaid carrier. This can be for various reason inclduing device discounts, or with customers not wantijng to pay for the remainder of any device balance.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 But why would that be their goal? Wouldn't it not much matter as long as a new customer picks one of their tiers? I mean of course they want people paying main telus prices, but for those not willing to, shouldn't they be happy they've picked their company at all? 

9 more for a $3/8.5gb plan and retired from the community 🙂 

@gpixel 

9 more to cover your current cost or your cost minus 5 year loyalty?

I only need 9 more. one time baby!

@gpixel wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear maybe their cracking down on members soliciting their referrals... 😉

The costs of paying the refer-a-friend reward is extremely inexpensive as a costs of gaining a new customer. I would say that adjustments to the other types of rewards woudl be far more likely. It might sounds impressive if someone has the maximum $110 in refer-a-friend rewards in combination with a 30-day plan, but one such person having a all those referrals compared to 110 different customers having $1 each in refer-a-friend credit makes zero difference to Public Mobile.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/03/09/koodo-reverts-canada-wide-calling-provincial-calling-change/

I have the understanding that Public Mobile has no immediately plans to reverse the province-wide/Canada-wide plan changes.

Thing is this could encourage some to sign up with koodo vs PM... if on koodo you can get faster data at the same amount and price per month - for people who dont care about province wide only that is. once the sale ends here that is and theyre all province wide... unless they end up reverting those plans too? I guess time  will telll

Getting customers to sign up to Koodo instead of Public Mobile could very well be one of Telus's goals. I've being saying for a while now how I believe that Public Mobile's plans are just plain bad now and have fallen behind the competiton.  However, when it comes to the numbers, Public Mobile's costs and goals aren't going to be the same as Koodo's, largely due to the rewards program here at Public.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

I have the understanding that Public Mobile has no immediately plans to reverse the province-wide/Canada-wide plan changes.

Thing is this could encourage some to sign up with koodo vs PM... if on koodo you can get faster data at the same amount and price per month - for people who dont care about province wide only that is. once the sale ends here that is and theyre all province wide... unless they end up reverting those plans too? I guess time  will telll

@Jb456 wrote:

@WoozyPolarBear maybe their cracking down on members soliciting their referrals... 😉

WoozyPolarBear

If Public Mobile wants to continue to see growth, they will basically have to revert back. Telus tried to see if you these rate hikes disguised as a "sale" would stick to the wall. When the other carriers didn't follow suit, they quickly backtracked with Koodo. Right now, with the capped data speeds of Public Mobile, there is no reason to not sign up for Koodo instead of Public Mobile. I haven't had a single referral in about 2 months now (usually I get 3-4 new referrals a month).

or keep it the way it is and give us a higher throttle limit.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456  - Hello 😃Back from Vacay !

Here is hoping plans go back to Nation-Wide Calling. 

farmbot

So far Koodo only changed postpaid plans to Canada wide

Koodo prepaid plans still 2 tier----Province wide and Canada wid

Prepaid Plans | Pay As You Go | Koodo Mobile

😣

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 That was nice of them to revert back to wide Canada calling. Hopefully, PM will do the same. Introducing province calling and charging extra for wide-plans was one of the weirdest decisions for PM in my opinion!

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

hi @Jb456 missed ya in the forums.  welcome back! 😊

I will ask this question tomorrow in our conference call and see what is said about Koodo switching back.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@Jb456 hi from what I see so far public is having problems with the roll out so who knows it would be nice for the new customers if they did 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

If you're back and can help with the cause, @Jb456 , I'd say collectively we can

Need Help? Let's chat.