cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will MMS work after I've used all my data?

ChowtimeApricot
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just switched to PM and I have a quick question.

I'm on the $15 plan with 250MB of data and everything works just fine. Assuming I do not have any Add-On, once I use the 250MB of data what will happen with MMS messages? Will they continue to work as normal or do I need to do anything special?

I understand MMSes use a different APN and they do not count towards data usage. I understand that once I use my 250MB it will not work until my next bill cycle. Just wondering if this includes MMS messages too.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Jeet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In a typical phone-to-phone MMS transaction, the process of sending and receiving the MMS message works like this: The sending phone initiates a data connection that provides TCP/IP network connectivity, usually over GPRS.

In simple terms, you need data connection (mobile data or wifi) to initiate MMS but it does not count towards your data.. 

hss

In order to send and receive MMS, the data has to be enabled. On my old iphone, I cannot send MMS without  the data being turned on but my pixel lets me send MMS over the Wi-fi.
I am not sure if that is due to the new RCS features or something else.

ChowtimeApricot

Thanks!  I'm happy to hear that MMSes still work when I run out of data!

Yes, I have the free Add-Ons. Thanks!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

I'm on the $15 plan with 250MB of data and everything works just fine. Assuming I do not have any Add-On, once I use the 250MB of data what will happen with MMS messages? Will they continue to work as normal or do I need to do anything special?

I understand MMSes use a different APN and they do not count towards data usage. I understand that once I use my 250MB it will not work until my next bill cycle. Just wondering if this includes MMS messages too.

Thanks!

MMS will still work even though your plan data has expired.

BTW...did you take advantage of the FREE 1 GB of data and 400 minutes of International Calling add-on ? The unused data will roll-over until it's exhausted by you.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

Thanks!

MMS does not need data to work.  Even if your plan has data, the MMS data will not use your plan data.  

My $10 50/50 plan can send and receive picutre MMS.

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Be sure to load the free 1 Gb of data and 400 mins of international mins Public Mobile is giving away right now. You can load those add ons from the purchase an ad on in the self serve. 

Need Help? Let's chat.