cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I receive text messages if I use my phone in the United Kingdom?

bmatts1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, if someone could PLEASE help me, that'd be great. I am moving to England in a month and was wondering if I kept my Public Mobile SIM card in my iPhone would I receive text messages to my Public Mobile number? Reason I ask is because for most accounts there is second-factor authorization via text messages thus if I cannot receive text messages I am locked out of most my accounts such as social media accounts, finance accounts, etc. Any help would be appreciated, as there are no add-ons for coverage in England, at least from what I can see.

Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25

@bmatts1 

Lol...not hostile. Please don't take it that way. 

bmatts1

I can sense your hostility, my original choice for the solution was prior to your comments regarding Apple and forwarding SMS/iMessage, my selection for the solution has been changed (also, there were many solutions provided to my question so hard to choose just one...)

bmatts1

Yes, I have confirmed it has worked. I can receive both text messages and iMessages to my iPad.

Thanks!

bmatts1

Thank you!

And your solution was......really?

@bmatts1 

I suggested that and the Apple document appears to confirm...but have you confirmed if it will actually work? Ask at an Apple store or @CalgaryBen or perhaps @Nezgar 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bmatts1 

Then you should install the textnow app and also call forward your pm phone number to your textnow phone #. If you are going to forward texts you might as well forward calls as well.

bmatts1

Thank you all! My issue has been resolved, I plan to leave my PM iPhone in Canada with the plan active for the duration of my trip, along with it being on constant charge, and take my iPad with me to England. I have activated the feature of forwarding text messages and iMessages to my iPad, thus, I will be able to receive messages normally sent to my PM iPhone to be sent also to my iPad!

Cheers PM community, you're the best!

bmatts1

Thank you for the advice. After reading the prompts on Apple's website I am now able to forward iMessages and text messages from my PM iPhone to my iPad, for which I will take to England and leave my PM iPhone in Canada. Thus, my issue has been resolved! 🙂

Hi @bmatts1 

are you using iPhone?  if you have multiple Apple devices, you can  leave your iPhone home and then us Apple’s Continuity feature for SMS. 

bmatts1

Thank you for all the information, much appreciated!

I am actually in the Toronto area, sadly.

One last thing, I tried looking up MightyText in the app store but to no avail, is there a suitable replacement app?

Thanks!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bmatts1 

Sorry the delay my dad decided to FaceTime me.....

As far as e-sim goes....most iPhones are not dual sim like Android phones (usually the international version) which gives the user more options for mobile service while traveling. E-sims are often available in the latest iPhone that allow for a traditional mobile via a Sim card like pm and an e-sim (permanently embedded in your phone) that can acquire mobile service or change service providers by scanning a QR code. This is not necessary for you it just opens more options up to you.

Here are the options for your service.....that I suggest.

Given the rewards you already earn and length of stay just keep your account and service active. For simplicity and ease of mind manually top up and prepay for your next 6 months of pm service ($54+tax) but keep autopay enabled to continue earning the $2 autopay reward.

For voice calls download the textnow app and choose a Canadian phone number. Before leaving Canada call forward (All) your phone # to the textnow phone #. All incoming pm calls will forward to your textnow # and ring thru to your textnow app on your phone while on wifi or mobile data. (As long as you don't connect to a US cell tower you can take your pm Sim card with you but see below why you should leave it in Canada.)

Download the Mightytext app. This will allow you to forward your pm text messages to your textnow phone # and/or to your Mightytext app that can be accessed via the internet by signing into your Mightytext account. Forwarding texts has a bit more work involved. Essentially you put your pm Sim card in a spare phone and follow the instructions on how to forward. Then leave the phone with a trusted friend or family member. The phone should be left always powered on and preferably left connected to a power source. This will ensure uninterrupted text forwarding.

Now you have the equivalent of PM (poor man's...lol..) roaming service. Fortunately the UK has some of the cheapest mobile service plans in the world. Many of them still include free roaming service in the EU as well. Mobile service plans with up to 5gb of data range from £3 to £8/30 days and large data plans max out at less than £20/30 days. Google your options in the UK and sign up when you get there....

You can also private message our great oracle @Luddite who can explain in specifics the major providers and can send you a free Sim card for ( I'm trying to remember which one of the top of my head...? 🤔) ...yes I think it's giffgaff...so you can be all set up before you arrive in the UK.

Edit:

I almost forgot but just in case order a couple of extra pm Sim cards from pm or CCS and leave one with the person taking care of your Mightytext phone and bring one with you just in case your Sim card needs to be swapped out....always best to be prepared!

Here are some of your mobile service options in the UK....

https://londoncheapo.com/technology/uk-sim-card-options-london/#:~:text=Our%20favourites%3A%20VOXI%2....

Don't forget to buy your duty free when you leave as sin taxes are high in the UK but most museums and galleries are free. If you live in Vancouver I can even dig up my O card for the London transit system so you don't need to shell out the £5 deposit at the airport to get on the tube. Dont spend all of your time studying. Happy travels and Stay--Safe! 

bmatts1

Hey Softech,

Thanks for the info, I was actually reading up on this as PM doesn't have an option for keeping your number/freezing your account (they really should have a service for that), but will likely just keep my account active and pay the 10.17 a month for 6 months as 60$ in the grand scheme of things doesn't hurt and I likely will struggle to keep track of renewing, not paying, etc. However, I am grateful for your input, it is much appreciated!! Also, if I change my mind, I'll know what to do 🙂

@bmatts1 

you have decent rewards and you don't want to give up the account

what you can do to minimize the cost but keep the account at the same time is to change the plan to $15 and then suspend for 85 days, then renew for 30 days  and let it suspend again 

here is the plan if you are going with it

1.  First, change plan to $15 plan (to reduce the cost to keep you number)
  2.  Then disable pre-Authorized payment from Payment page
  3.  On the next renewal date, since pre-authorized payment is disabled, it won't be renewed.   
          Make note of that day 1 of the suspension date
  4.  VERY IMPORTANT.   Come back at around 85th days after the first date of the suspension to make a manual payment to renew the account for 30 days.  You have changed to $15 plan, so, it will just cost you $15 for those 30 days.  After you make the payment, make sure you see clearly that the account status is changed to ACTIVE.  If not, you will either have to open ticket with PM support or come and seek help here
  5.  Make note of that date, again, the account will be active for 30 days only and will be suspended again after the 30 days.  Make note of the date it got suspended again
  6.  As autopay is disabled, it won't renew after those 30 days.
        I hope you will be back by then. You just need to change the plan back to the one you want and then reactivate
       If you still not back to Canada by the end of that 90 days, then come back NO LATER than 85th date and repeat from step 4 again

bmatts1

Great idea, I have an old iphone kicking around so I'll likely log in with my apple I.D. and try and set that up, cheers!

bmatts1

Thanks for your advice, I'll likely add my new UK number to my accounts for 2FA!

bmatts1

Hi Darlicious,

Thanks for replying, please see my responses below:

1. The move is not permanent, going for an exchange semester, will be gone at most 6 months.

2. Yes, have both family and trusted friends in Canada.

3. I am on the old $$ rewards program, my rewards are 6$ per month.

4. My plan is $15 for 250 mb at 3G speed, not sure if this is what you mean.

5. I am not sure what you mean by e-sim, can you explain?

Thanks in advance for your help.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bmatts1 

No but you have some options so a little more info from you would be helpful...

1. Is this a permanent move? If not for how long?
  2. Do you still have family in Canada? Or trusted friends?
  3. Are you on the old $$ rewards program or the points program? If $$ rewards how much $/30 days?
  4. Do you have a grandfathered/legacy plan? If so which one?
  5. Does your iPhone have e-sim?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bmatts1 

you really should change your 2FA to other methods.  Use Authentication app as much as possible.  If not a choice, email or voice call to  your UK number, or if it has to voice call to Canadian number, then use VoIP app like Fongo

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Here is something to test. 

If you have other Apple devices, you can set up to send and receive texts on ALL devices same as on iPhone using the PM SIM card. The only exception is sending a pic with a text. So if you left an iPhone here in Canada plugged in. Would you receive that text in England on an iPad?

But if you are moving there...why keep your PM account alive. And are there not other options other than a text? 

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bmatts1 I don't think that you can receive the txt msg in UK

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

NO. PM does not provide service outside of this continent.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bmatts1 , you will not receive text while in the UK.  There's no roaming other than in the US.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@bmatts1 hi no there is no service in the uk with Public you will need to make alternate arrangements with the banks 

Need Help? Let's chat.