cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will 4G give better hotspot power than 3G?

Conquistador1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Right now im using 3G on my phone and have use hotspots for wifi for awhile as my job has me away from home.

Its okay but not very powerful for gaming. Will upgrading to 4G increase the quality of the connection? If so how can i upgrade my plan to 4G from 3g?

5 REPLIES 5

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Conquistador1 

what's the make an model of the device? if you have an esim capable device, you can purchase an esim data plan. for the time being

https://esimdb.com/canada

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Probably not an ideal option for things like gaming unfortunately 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Conquistador1  Yes or No

4G itself has better speed generally, it is better.  

BUT 4G in PM is throttled at 3Mps while 3G in PM usually is around 12Mpbs or even more.  For hotspot, you have at least 2 connections on it, more is better

However, 3G has higher latency.  High latency won't affect video streaming, big download or light browsing (without contently changing pages ) much but it affects how responsive the internet connections.  So, high latency will be bigger impact for video chat, or heavy browsing that involves page changing a lot or contact feed update (like social media) 

I would say , generally speaking, 3G is better for hotspot assuming you have bigger download because 2 or 3 devices are connecting and using the Mobile internet at the same time and PM has better bandwidth on 3G network.  But, try test it out in 4G and if you see if negative impact

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Conquistador1 hello if you need 4g you will need to switch providers and pay a higher price, I guess that's the price we pay for the lower cost of the plans ☹️   

craigf85
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

3g is useless now. I've been wondering the same thing. I've been a loyal customer for a long time now and would appreciate the option to have faster service. 

Need Help? Let's chat.