cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will 3G be upgraded to 4G LTE in the future?

iamcdn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Currently, PM default/majority data plan is 3G. I am wondering if in the future when 5G will be the industry standard do you think PM will upgrade to 4G LTE as their standard since there will be more room on that network?

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@iamcdn wrote:

@srlawren Your sarcasm and arrogance are not appreciated.

They need to add a thumbs down icon

@iamcdn noted. Hopefully you get a more helpful response from a clairvoyant or a pre-cog.  Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Lol @srlawren , @imm1304 @ mine isn't and and it predicts when Asia gets 6g

@imm1304 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@iamcdn wrote:

How about without the cap?

@iamcdn my crystal ball is in the shop right now, warranty repairs.  At this time I am unable to predict the future with any accuracy.  My most humble apologies!

Hey buddy, can you not return the faulty crystal ball and just buy a new one at the shop?  Inquiring minds want to know. Robot Frustrated

imm1304

@srlawren wrote:

@iamcdn wrote:

@iamcdn my crystal ball is in the shop right now, warranty repairs.  At this time I am unable to predict the future with any accuracy.  My most humble apologies!

Hey buddy, can you not return the faulty crystal ball and just buy a new one at the shop?  Inquiring minds want to know. Robot Frustrated

iamcdn

@srlawren wrote:

@iamcdn wrote:

@srlawren Your sarcasm and arrogance are not appreciated.

They need to add a thumbs down icon

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@iamcdn wrote:

Currently, PM default/majority data plan is 3G. I am wondering if in the future when 5G will be the industry standard do you think PM will upgrade to 4G LTE as their standard since there will be more room on that network?

Anything anyone says here is a pure guess. Even if staff at Public Mobile could comment on this, any of that coudl be changed by the time anything (if anything) is implemented.

My guess is that they will continue on with the throttle no matter the upgrade path we get, we wouldn't get passed down savings else wise, unless they suddenly start a two tear service, which I highly doubt.

@iamcdn wrote:

Anything anyone says here is a pure guess. Even if staff at Public Mobile could comment on this, any of that coudl be changed by the time anything (if anything) is implemented.

Fluidmax
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@iamcdn wrote:

Every cel phone tower has limited space, which is why 2G equipment were removed by most providers to make room for 4G/LTE equipment. In the case of PM, they have you on LTE and limit you to 3G speed (LTE Lite)...I don't see PM getting rid of LTE lite any time soon. Perhaps not until 4G equipment are being replaced to make more room for future technologies.

popping

@iamcdn wrote:

It will be a long wait before PM takes the 3Mbps cap off or move it higher.

srlawren

@iamcdn wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@iamcdn wrote:

@iamcdn  Yes I do. Smiley Happy The key is when 5G is the standard and that will take a looooong time IMO.

popping

@iamcdn 

May be.  It is possible when Telus wants to reuse the 3G frequency for 5G,  But it will be a long wait...

scorpio17

Who knows ... This is not a near future.

iamcdn

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@iamcdn wrote:

I don't think so. PM had 4G plans, and has 1 now, but decided to move to 3G in order to have most affordable plans on the matket which is a wise decision. Maybe in some far far future, when 5G will become widespread like 4G now, they may move to 4G...

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

It is already LTE just capped speed

Once 5g is the norm I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the speed limit.

Now I believe they will not allow volte until the day they stop using and start taking down 3g towers. They use 3g for talk and you can use it for data if you wish.

Need Help? Let's chat.