cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why set Cellular data to 3G rather then LTE/4G

Beer
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There have been discussions regarding this subject before with suggestions to set data to 3G rather than LTE/4G.

Have verified that if one has a 3G plan then it is best to set data to 3G. Don't know why the upload speeds are similar.

Have taken several readings using Speed-test by Ookla and did get consistently higher reading with data set to 3G.

Noticed:

When set to LTE the Speed-Test connects to Rogers.

When set to 3G the Speed-Test connects to Telus.

On average set at 3G -----download 8.8 ---- upload 1.8

On average set at LTE ---download 1.9 ------upload 2.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HI @Beer   Rogers server  or not, I don't think it does matter.  Probably it checked the IP and looked up with the wrong server

for the speed, 3G are non-capped so it is faster

4G is capped at 3Mbps.  

Please be aware that a speed test can easily drain your data  if you do it a lot

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MrSpock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Beer hi people have suggested to maually select 3g because it sometimes helps when people are having issues with phone calls 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Beer this has been mentioned and proven many times with an explanation

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Beer

Yes it has but can you tell me as to why when set to LTE the Speed Test consistently connects  to Rogers?

HI @Beer   Rogers server  or not, I don't think it does matter.  Probably it checked the IP and looked up with the wrong server

4G is capped at 3Mbps.  

Please be aware that a speed test can easily drain your data  if you do it a lot

Beer

@hTideGnow wrote:

4G is capped at 3Mbps.  

There must be more to this as it consistently (6 times) look up the wrong server when set to LTE but always connected to Telus when set to 3G?

UPDATE: It connects to Rogers because it looks for an OPTIMAL TEST SERVER. I was able to select another server (Bell Canada) and got terrible results.

HI@Beer   if you are talking about test server, you can change it

but if you are talking about your network it shows, post a screenshot