cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Public the most user-unfriendly site to navigate?

Vicnas
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why do I need to remember a username to log in to the Public support site? I am a member of several "forum" style sites and they ALL use email address for login, and a username for perusing the site. I rarely come to this site and having to remember 2 sets of credentials is ridiculous. Moreover, the actual site navigation is also needlessly convoluted. It's almost as though Telus wants people to become so frustrated that they leave this discounted service for the full cost/full service provider. Public has the worst customer service experience I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with (not the moderators, just the overall experience).

16 REPLIES 16

Vicnas

Agreed, though Koodo is only marginally better.

Vicnas

Lol, Public hired them to build their system.  I would hope, as owners, that they could change the functionality of the website. This is really no excuse.

vexter

I am sure there are more unfriendly sites, but probably no slower ones on the network. The only redeeming feature is the "good things come to those who wait" or "patience is a virtue" or whatever it says; the internet version of music playing when you are on hold. It has prevented me from pounding on the button I am trying to use and making my wait longer. Because of the site deficiencies one does not feel stupid asking what anywhere else be an obvious question. The helpfulness of the community makes up for a lot.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Vicnas 

yes that is exactly what they are doing. I look at public as a niche market for customers who would like to save money. public advertises low cost. my interpretation of "low cost" is not "premium".

imo the savings of $2 isn't worth the headache. but, if you're interested for the long haul. accumulation of autopay($2)+$1/year(max $5)+referrals($1) and the system becomes tolerable

Rosguru
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just to add to your comment, I feel that the recent change in plans and prices was a big mistake for Public Mobile.  There is competition for low cost carriers if people search the web.  It is hard to get people to switch to Public now.  

Also, there are people who are retired and who just need a very low cost plan just to have phones for emergencies.  I know 3 people who just said this to me who have purchased Speakout 7 Eleven sim and $25 talk time that expires in a year if not used up.  I suggest that Public goes back to their previous plan that they just discarded early 2021 plus offer something like Speakout for people to have this option.  

For sure,  @Anonymous  ,  the lag is somewhat welcome 😉 

Some things that appear to be "account related" issues have some level of short-term fix that might be implemented though.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Vicnas   firstly i agree with you the interface for selfserve is terrible, and even the community is not great,  PM is actually working on redesigning both but things here move at a glacer pace, so who knows when it will happen.  just for reference:

• it took 2+ years for them to develop a ticket system for support requests (may consider it flawed because it goes though SIMon) 
  • the new activation portal took 1.5 years to develop.   

as @Anonymous selfserve and community are two separate systems selfserve managed/developed by PM and the community is a forum product from Khoros, so PM's hands are tied on what it can do.  (it would be great if you you could loginto Khoros with either username or email (like wordpress)  not sure its an option though.  but being a forum I definatly would not want my email being visable and is probably why they require the username as login.   also not all forum users have a selfserve accounts and not all selfserve accounts have forum accounts.

my personal issue is that i always check keep me singed in and i always have to login again and again....

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Vicnas 

Simply put, I don't believe TELUS wants to make Public Mobile too comfortable for users. 

They will want to make it just comfortable enough (think Goldilocks) to get them to join so that their yearning for more such that they can go up the chain to Koodo or TELUS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vicnas : They're entirely separate systems. But I also frequent forums where the login is one thing and the posting username is another. I wonder that it's actually a Khoros thing. ebay community uses Khoros. Khoros community uses Khoros.

Edit: Just checked the ebay community. The login is either email or username. So it's possible. meh

ebay also has a "replied to" thing at the top of a post where the user clicked the reply button of a post they are replying to. THAT I would like to see.

Vicnas

Public began in 2010, it's 2021. Eleven years and still working on a user-friendly customer service site?! This is Telus, fcol, they are a communications company that has dropped the ball, hard, in the customer service communications department. Hope it doesn't take another 11 years to get there...

Vicnas

I agree, the moderators are terrific (noted in my OP), I was referring to the site interface generally. 

As for browser keeping my credentials, I typically try to avoid that. As I said, I don't understand why I can't use my account email to log-in. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Vicnas 

Further to @Spudster plug for Community members, did you want to lay one one us for consideration of reply?

There's a lot of folks here just waiting for a real question for which they can provide real answers/options.

Let er rip!!!

lol It's been pretty slow around here. The odd smattering and it's gone. And hours-long spans of crickets. I can only assume they've fixed some of the nagging issues. But don't get too carried away...we can't do anything about accounts.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Vicnas 

Further to @Spudster plug for Community members, did you want to lay one one us for consideration of reply?

There's a lot of folks here just waiting for a real question for which they can provide real answers/options.

Let er rip!!!

@Vicnas 

Public mobile community site can be improved.  Public mobile is aware of the issues and slowly working on them.  Just recently PM updated the activation portal.  It will take more time, but hopefully, Public mobile will eventually make more improvements.  

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Vicnas wrote:

Why do I need to remember a username to log in to the Public support site? I am a member of several "forum" style sites and they ALL use email address for login, and a username for perusing the site. I rarely come to this site and having to remember 2 sets of credentials is ridiculous. Moreover, the actual site navigation is also needlessly convoluted. It's almost as though Telus wants people to become so frustrated that they leave this discounted service for the full cost/full service provider. Public has the worst customer service experience I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with (not the moderators, just the overall experience).

@Vicnas    Do you have to remember login credentials to the other sites you peruse?  Public mobile login credentials can be saved to your login processes if the browser/system you have supports this - mine does on all devices.

You ARE CORRECT in that the Public Mobile site is unfriendly.  The self-serve site is dreadfully slow to load and seems to be frequently under some form of updates which limits it's functionality.

I will take exception to one item - that Public Mobile customer service experience is the worst.  I'd say the members on this forum go OUT OF THEIR WAY to help almost everyone who seeks help on these Community pages.   In fact, I'd go HERE vs using most other avenues PM offers for support.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Vicnas wrote:

@Vicnas ,

Your devices should have the ability to remember your usernames (to both your Self Serve and your Community account).

What browser are you using?

Customer Service is all online (hence the 3 tier category).

Need Help? Let's chat.