cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need a US add on to call 289 area code

benyogi2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We have 3 phone numbers and plans with public mobile. They all have 289 area codes ( Oshawa ) Why do we suddenly need US add ons to call each other when nothing has changed and we’re all in the same house in Oshawa Ontario Canada! We’ve never been to the States - now none of can call out or receive calls. FIX THIS!! 

5 REPLIES 5

@pippajbradford wrote:

I have the exact same problem in Vancouver, BC.  Normal coverage for 2 years and suddenly today we ran into this problem.  Three household mobiles - all 236 - my son and I cannot call my daughter.  We live in the same house.  The message is "sorry your call cannot be completed because your plan does not include a US roaming add-on ....."

Please follow the advised previously provided to open a ticket using the chatbot.  If the chatbot's ticketing process gives an error message, a Public Mobile customer support agent can be contact by sending a private message using the following link:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/22437

pippajbradford
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the exact same problem in Vancouver, BC.  Normal coverage for 2 years and suddenly today we ran into this problem.  Three household mobiles - all 236 - my son and I cannot call my daughter.  We live in the same house.  The message is "sorry your call cannot be completed because your plan does not include a US roaming add-on ....."

@benyogi2 wrote:

We have 3 phone numbers and plans with public mobile. They all have 289 area codes ( Oshawa ) Why do we suddenly need US add ons to call each other when nothing has changed and we’re all in the same house in Oshawa Ontario Canada! We’ve never been to the States - now none of can call out or receive calls. FIX THIS!! 

Is the message about needing a US roaming add-on (even though you're not roaming)?  A few weeks ago, there were some issues with some customers being able to make phone calls to some phone numbers and customers would instead hear that error message. The fix was to open a ticket and have Public Mobile perform and update to your account.  If this sounds like your situation, please use the chatbot to open at ticket:   https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Area code 289 is definitely a Canadian area code, and no USA long distance calling is needed. When calling a number without a 1 in front, you may hear an announcement that "long distance charges may be incurred" but if you just wait a few more seconds after that announcement, the call should continue to complete. Prefixing the number you are calling with a "1" should eliminate that message though, as @softech mentioned in an earlier reply...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@benyogi2 you don't.  

Try to put a 1 in front of the 10 digits number and the calls should go through 

Need Help? Let's chat.