cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Consider/Trust Public Mobile's Loyalty Rewards If They Just Raise Prices To Nullify Them?

PublicMobile21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm on the $10 for 50 mins/50 messages plan (now discontinued but grandfathered) & old loyalty program ($2 off for autopay, $1 off per year of loyalty - also now discontinued but grandfathered) & just got an e-mail at 12:04pm EST Mar. 4th, 2022 saying my plan rate is going up $3 from $10 to $13 on Apr. 28th, 2022.

This is garbage. PM lures in users with the low cost plan & loyalty rewards then discontinues both & declares war on the grandfathered users by wiping out my 3 years of loyalty $3 discount with a $3 price increase.

Seems like shady tactics to get around needing to honour loyalty rewards they used to lure in customers so I ask - why should anyone trust or even consider Public Mobile's loyalty rewards program when signing up if once you accrue any they make sure to nullify it with price increases? Surprised this is legal, seems like delayed false advertising.

37 REPLIES 37

@softech 

You would think Zoomer has good deals for retirees.....but I have never seen a deal. They are all hype. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

PM exceeds the CTRC mandate for an economical low cost $15 plan. While I don’t agree with a 30% increase.....it appears to be time to upgrade the 1957 Volkswagen. 

$5 for the rest of the plans. maybe full LTE speed plus volte🙏 is on its way. Koodo is offering 4g prepaid plans now. also their prepaid 3g plans are exactly the same as Public... 

Screenshot_20220304-213951.png

Screenshot_20220304-213909.png

Screenshot_20220304-213931.png

for the prices at Koodo public NEEDS to offer the same features (call display+)

honestly they should just merge and create the points program with Koodo. hopefully this is their plan... the way the points program is set up they should be able to do it pretty easily. 

@Mcchen wrote:

Let's face it, Public Mobile is still the cheapest option out there. At least for our grandfathered plans.

True, and this give them the room to make the increase  

Mcchen

Let's face it, Public Mobile is still the cheapest option out there. At least for our grandfathered plans.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If they up my 5 GB (3 GB + 2 GB permanent promo bonus) $35 plan excluding discounts, I'm leaving for SaskTel/Lum.

@Mcchen wrote:

I am thinking about moving over to Zoomer if the price hike continues.

But Zoomer has $18 plans and not $13  😞

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Mcchen @softech 

No I don't want any data attached to my $10 plan....that would automatically switch you to throttled 4G LTE data rather than the unthrottled full speed data we currently enjoy. Strike that from your thought processes. Well I have yet to recieve this email but as soon as I do I am making a complaint to the CCTS and will fight this price increase tooth and nail!

@J_PM 

Shame on pm and shame on the money grabbing greedy telus executives and their shareholders! If this price increase goes thru I am cancelling my optik tv and telus can get $60 less from me every month! Is $3 worth getting $57 less from me?!! Anyone on this plan with another telus service show your displeasure by contacting telus with your intentions....since they make their decisions based on their bottom line cancelling or changing your other telus services to a different provider will make telus reconsider their decision on this price increase. If I cancel my optik tv thats 20 customers with the $10 plan with the price increase to make up for that loss to their bottom line to just break even again!

Power to the people!!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Mcchen

I am thinking about moving over to Zoomer if the price hike continues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It all depends on what you call bang for buck. It's all about data these days. Other than the $15 plan it's all unlimited calls and texts. And even that just has the one limited outgoing.

So imagine a 30% increase in the other plans:

15 * 1.3 = 19.5 - let's say 20
25 = 32.5 - 33
35 = 45.5 - 46
40 = 52
50 = 65
60 = 78
70 = 91

Even the old fall 2016 planned price increase was 25%. But that was a different marketing wording uproar. Wording has ever been thus around here. The lawyers figured that one out fast for everybody that came after.

Mcchen

@LeePublic  to a certain point, I will bail and get a more bang for the buck plan rather than cheapest plan.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My guess is they are testing the waters for consumer resistance and possible price hikes in the near future by upping the price of the cheapest plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TMS : Nothing happens to the loyalty reward. You still get it. It's just that its value just got stolen.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't forget to spam their social media accounts with this news too, so it gets more visibility and maybe mobilesyrup will report on it.

TMS

I pay $5 per month for this plan for our son with special needs. He hasn’t used it for months, but knowing the service was there for emergencies was a great piece of mind. 

I use autopay to pay. What happens to the three years of loyalty he has accumulated?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TMS : Using iMessage or RCS confuses things. Indeed...it's 50 outgoing real SMS.

@Mcchen wrote:

perhaps they should give us like 100mb data to justify the increase.

@Mcchen   As a PR move, that is indeed a good suggestions, even a one time 500MB or 1GB bonus would make people accepting this increase easier.  Afterall, data is pretty much free.  And those $10 plan subscribers might not use the data anyway... would be a good PR move

Mcchen

perhaps they should give us like 100mb data to justify the increase.

TMS

I use texts. 🙂

How do you know that it is more than 50 texts even though it says 50? (I’m not taking about MMS) 

Thanks 

@Anonymous   For 30% increase in price, yes that's what PM should be doing.  After all, it would still only have 50 mins in/out unlike the $15 plan.  No, I'm not expecting PM to do that though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr : ?? I don't get it. The only option for unlimited texting is the $15 plan. Are you saying they should open up unlimited texting in the $10 plan? Fine suggestion but good luck with that. 🙂

@Anonymous     If customers have to pay $13 going forward then there should be no need to use workarounds to get unlimited texting on a discontinued plan. 

@PublicMobile21, thanks for the clarification I read your original post as $1 loyalty and flew past the per year portion.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

The $10 plan only has 50 outgoing texts. It stops. You can however send unlimited texts via MMS and turn on your data even if you don't have available data.

There have never been overage charges here.

PublicMobile21

No, to clarify - I am getting $2 off my bill from autopay & another $3 off for loyalty (at a rate of $1 per year of loyalty, I've been loyal for 3 years), but the $3/3 years of loyalty discount off my monthly bill has been effectively wiped out by the new service price increase of $3.

Mcchen

@PublicMobile21 yeah, try it lol.

PublicMobile21

Really, you can keep texting once you hit the limit? (& without overage charges?)

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't think the text is unlimited.. I have tried years ago.. yes, no one text anymore.. 

@missorange   I hope not, but who knows?

Mcchen

the $10 plan actually have 4G LTE non-throttled. Although the plan does not come with data.

It says 50 text, but in reality, it's unlimited. Though, no one text anymore.

Need Help? Let's chat.