cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I buy a phone to use with Public Mobile?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Public Mobile is a new kind of no-frills business, built on simple ideals with a co-operative approach to wireless. We don’t sell phones but don’t worry, there are a number of options available for customers to purchase an affordably priced phone.   

These include retailers as:

• Walmart (Prepaid Phone)
  • Best Buy (Prepaid Phone)
  • Staples (Prepaid Phone)
  • You can also purchase a factory refreshed phone from Orchard at an affordable price.  Find out more about Orchard here.

Direct manufacturers:

1. Apple Store 
  2. Google Store 
  3. Microsoft Store 
  4. BlackBerry (BBM)
  5. One Plus One
  6. Alcatel 

You can also have your friend or family member’s old phone if they are upgrading their phone.

Ensure the phone is unlocked, compatible with our Canada-wide 4G LTE network and IMEI is available for use before completing a purchase. Click here to check phone compatibility and find out the network frequency here.

*To use data, add and select Public Mobile’s APN settings Click here.

235 REPLIES 235

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hopeyb wrote:

I bought my Xiaomi Mi A1 (Mi 5X) online with Amazon.ca. It comes unlocked due to laws in Canada and works great with Public Mobile so far. Great phone for $265 CAD. 

The PocoPhone should be even better, but a little more money. 🙂

Also the OnePlus 6 is good!! www.oneplus.com

hopeyb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought my Xiaomi Mi A1 (Mi 5X) online with Amazon.ca. It comes unlocked due to laws in Canada and works great with Public Mobile so far. Great phone for $265 CAD. 

cappaj

@kav2001c wrote:

@cappaj

As near as I can tell the only diff is dual SIM, so should work fine

https://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/samsung-galaxy-s9-sm-g960w-vs-samsung-galaxy-s9-sm-g9600/75...

There are 6 versions apparently

https://www.phonemore.com/samsung-galaxy-s9/models/1793

Thanks! That comparison is great - I think what I'd worry about most is incompatible bands or whatever, but those charts make it look like they're identical.

cappaj

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

This is a great website 

https://willmyphonework.net

I wonder how up to date that's kept - I've gone to it a couple times over the last few weeks to look up Samasung Galaxy S9, but the list of devices stops at S8/S8+.

Speaking of S9 - I'd love if I could get the numbers to work on buying one outright and staying with PM. On ebay, you can find the G9600 model, usually cheaper than the Canadian G960W - does anyone use the G9600 with PM? I *think* it'd work but it still seems a little risky based on available info, considering the hundreds and hundreds of dollars at risk. (Still, at the right price, it can be close to the same cost over 24 months as getting a subsidized phone on a more expensive plan from a bigger carrier!)

sswilson
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom is currently on sale for $230 at both Amazon.ca and Newegg.ca.

Pretty hard to beat that unless you're ordering a non-NA model from the Asian market.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This is a great website 

https://willmyphonework.net

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lspring wrote:

You can purchase any unlocked phone and use it as you want. According to what PM says, you can use phones that are locked to telus of koodo as well. But all phones can be unlocked by respective cariers hence it does not matter.

Not all phones are compatible with Public Mobile.

lspring

You can purchase any unlocked phone and use it as you want. According to what PM says, you can use phones that are locked to telus of koodo as well. But all phones can be unlocked by respective cariers hence it does not matter.

sswilson

@amw3000 wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for an LTE modem (WIFI Hotspot) that works with PM LTE. Trying to avoid using a phone as the battery life isn't as great and the speed is generally a bit better with hotspots.

Any suggestions? 

They're typically bought through the providers themselves, but CDW has some listed CDW Wireless Broadband Cellular Modems , and they're certainly not inexpensive.

What's your usage scenario? Do you need an actual hotspot or would adding a WWAN functionality to your laptop do the trick?

@as far as the OP question is concerned.... keeping an eye on the RFD computer/electronics thread is a good resource. I grabbed an ASUS Zenfone3 Zoom @ $300 after seeing the deal posted over there.

amw3000

Hi,

I am looking for an LTE modem (WIFI Hotspot) that works with PM LTE. Trying to avoid using a phone as the battery life isn't as great and the speed is generally a bit better with hotspots. 

Any suggestions? 

@Derekmcl wrote:

Wait until Walmart has a bonus gift card weekend.  Open a new line with Koodo, keep phone, cancel plan and profit. 😎

That does come with downfalls though.  Credit score hit with the credit check

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Derekmcl

Wait until Walmart has a bonus gift card weekend.  Open a new line with Koodo, keep phone, cancel plan and profit. 😎

Hunter2004

You could also buy an unlocked used phone. Cheaper then brand new. Just make sure it is unlocked. 

sam2018

Hi, 

I always check what Koodo mobile has on their website. From time to time, they have promotions for outright purchase and also certified pre-owned phones. 

Otherwise, I would buy from Costco, staples, bestbuy or walmart as they come with one year warranty. Recently most entry level smartphones are good enough to watch videos, browse and install apps. Buy phones with atleast 16GB of inbuilt storage. Apps and other system files need a decent amount of storage. 

JustJess

Staples has pre-paid, unlocked, phones for less than $150 outright. Also, WalMart sells pre-paid phones for around the $100 mark. Find one that is for Telus/Koodo and you're good. If you're wanting a more well known phone (like a galaxy 7 etc.) then try your local repair shops. They often have refurbished ones and may be willing to do layaway or payments.

paulie

I think Staples might do payments on cell phones (no contract for a plan).

tommygun

Are there any stores that will offer cell phones for monthly payments?  I don't have the money to buy a new phone outright and I don't have the money to change to a plan with another carrier.  And seeing as my current phone is on its last legs, I'm needing a phone very soon.

EDIT:  I should specify that at most I can pay up to $150 up front and would prefer to keep monthly payments below $20.

EDIT 2:  I should also specify that I cannot get an iPhone.

srlawren

@galadriel wrote:

I have been buying phones from IBM directly. 

The price is very competive and they carry IPHONES

https://www-store.shop.ibm.com/shop/used/ca-en/icpecadepp/loginca

You do not need a code, and i hit Online Chat.

I paid $400 for an IPHONE 7, with a 15M warrenty.  They say refurbrished, but it looks brand new.
I also bought an iphone 6s for $260 for my kids, that also look new.  

@galadriel that's great, but it appears to be a sales portal not open to the general public unfortunately.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

galadriel

I have been buying phones from IBM directly. 

The price is very competive and they carry IPHONES

https://www-store.shop.ibm.com/shop/used/ca-en/icpecadepp/loginca

You do not need a code, and i hit Online Chat.

I paid $400 for an IPHONE 7, with a 15M warrenty.  They say refurbrished, but it looks brand new.
I also bought an iphone 6s for $260 for my kids, that also look new.  

thewickerking

All Canadian carriers phones are unlocked as of December 1st of last year. So if you want you can buy one from a store, outright also Telus and Koodo phones will work with public mobile without being unlocked as they are all Telus companies

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Now, if I plan to move to Koodo, do I need to unlock ?  any MOD can help ?  If so, please kindly unlock for me.  thousands of thanks.

Per the CRTC, as of Dec. 1, 2017 cellphone customers can ask their provider (or the device manufacturer) to unlock their phones free of charge. At the same time, all newly purchased mobile devices must be provided to customers unlocked.

In 2017, Costco's inventory of Samsungs were unlocked at point of purchase but baby ducked (locked) themsleves to the carrier of the first SIM inserted. Samsung provides unlock codes for all such phones upon request.

In 2018Q1, some of Costco's inventory remains these new phones/old stock that rolled down the assembly line in 2017 under the old rules. Newest inventory are sold unlocked AND will NOT baby duck themsleves to the first carrier they see.

I have a COSTCO "SAMSUNG A5 2017" (SM-A520W), bought 2018-MAR-31, with an initial out-of-the-box firmware load of 2018-JAN-16; it is a fully unlocked, non baby ducking device, per the law.

BTW, for those of you that know about VoLTE, the A5 2017 is VoLTE ready and enabled.

Cheers,

@ricebowl Here's the info you need: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@ricebowlwrote:

I got the Samsung J3 from Costco retails (not the phone sub-division) for Public Mobile.  Per the Costco, phone is locked to the 1st SIM card I inserted which is Public Mobile. 

Now, if I plan to move to Koodo, do I need to unlock ?  any MOD can help ?  If so, please kindly unlock for me.  thousands of thanks.

Not a Samsung user myself, but there have been reports that the unlock code is supplied in the box / manual of your new Samsung phone.

You can also get the unlock code by using Samsung's chat on their website.

If you need the help of a moderator you should contact them directly by private message. They'll only  be able to unlock phones that are locked to Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile and will need the IMEI for the process to work.

Use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, include all relevant information in your message, such as account number, PIN, phone number, problem description.

More information on contacting the mods: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

ricebowl

I got the Samsung J3 from Costco retails (not the phone sub-division) for Public Mobile.  Per the Costco, phone is locked to the 1st SIM card I inserted which is Public Mobile. 

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I bought my Sony Xperia from Amazon. I already pay for Amazon Prime so it made sense to buy with that, especially since the Amazon delivery guy now knows me quite well.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

In most cases, you actually do want a phone for use in Canada that was made for the U.S. market. This is simply because these phones more often than not have the same frequency and technology compatibilities with the carriers in Canada.  The real exception to this would be the U.S. phones that are only made to work on CDMA networks.

@computergeek541 are there still any US market phones available that have CDMA but do not also have HSPA and LTE bands compatible with PM?  I'm not sure about older phones, but I think anything current for the US market should be fine, since even the Verizon/Sprint/flanker phones also have HSPA and LTE that will work here.  I could be wrong, so of course it's always best to verify on the spec sheet that a minimum of B2 and B5 3G HSPA and Band 4 LTE are present.

There always the possibility of old stock that only has CDMA.  I know that Verizon, for example, does sell some phones that do work on Public Mobile after you unlock them.  That's probably going to continue as the trend, which just further reinnforces my comments about U.S. variants of phones being a much safer bet for Public compatibility than importing from those other mentioned places in the world mentioned earlier.

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

In most cases, you actually do want a phone for use in Canada that was made for the U.S. market. This is simply because these phones more often than not have the same frequency and technology compatibilities with the carriers in Canada.  The real exception to this would be the U.S. phones that are only made to work on CDMA networks.

@computergeek541 are there still any US market phones available that have CDMA but do not also have HSPA and LTE bands compatible with PM?  I'm not sure about older phones, but I think anything current for the US market should be fine, since even the Verizon/Sprint/flanker phones also have HSPA and LTE that will work here.  I could be wrong, so of course it's always best to verify on the spec sheet that a minimum of B2 and B5 3G HSPA and Band 4 LTE are present.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@sheytoon wrote:

I agree with @wetcoaster. GSM network refers specifically to a 2G GSM network, not generic SIM-based devices. There's no need to even mention SIM cards. As long as the correct technology and band combinations are referenced, the SIM capability will be included by default.

By the way @wetcoaster, Bell's CDMA network is still functional, for another year or so.

Thanks for clarifying, @sheytoon.

My bad... I seemed to recall that Telus has already discontinued CDMA support and Bell had cut CDMA service in BC in January, so I based my statement on this and overlooked that it said "starting" and talked about those specific regions - on a new search this morning I couldn't find an official statement from Bell as to when the CDMA network is entirely out of service all across Canada. (But then I might not have used the perfect search word combinations...) Sorry for posting incomplete / incorrect information - I'll change my previous post accordingly.

Need Help? Let's chat.