cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if I live in Canada only 6 months a year?

musicollector
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am wondering if my SIM and number will be deactivated if I am away from the country, seeing I will not be able to use your service in Asia. Or, is there a way I can keep my SIM and number suspended for the duration of my absence.

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@musicollector 

Here are your options for your pm account when travelling in the spoiler below....

Spoiler
  1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your voip number  before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your voip number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your voip app voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

Note: Rewards in the spoiler above refer to $$ rewards. Public Points customers supposedly continue to earn points while suspended.....YMMV....until we learn more.

Obviously now that there are two rewards programs I need to update how the points program is affected....which is a little YMMV nowadays because the points program is still new and most of us regular members are on the $$ rewards program. However according to the terms of "Public Points" you continue to earn points even when suspended either via lost/stolen or for non payment.

That works in your favour when suspending for 5 or 6 months every year. With anniversary points (vs loyalty) you get 10 points on your 1 year anniversary (and on your second you get 10 points and so on....) whereas $$ rewards would delay loyalty rewards by 60+ days....as well the way the terms read for points you also still earn friend referral points and also in theory community rewards if you continue to participate in the community while away....?🤔

musicollector

I have been a member of over a hundred forums, but nowhere have I seen such lightning fast response and kind, knowledgeable people willing to help. I believe I am going to enjoy my mobile plan and being in this forum. You guys are one of a kind. Bravo! Thank you to all. 

musicollector

🙏👍 Thank you.

musicollector

Thanks.

musicollector

Thanks so much. I am totally satisfied with your response and like that idea.

Depending on when you signed up you would get loyalty for either the old rewards or the new points.

YMMV. Some would say suspending for more than 60 days reduces the accumulated loyalty time. Some would say it doesn't matter.

@musicollector wrote:

I like the latter idea, but an obvious thought occurred to me. I heard somewhere that there are benefits to staying a customer for a certain number of years.
1. What are those benefits?
2. Would breaking service in the interim affect the above outcome?

There are no longer any benefits for being a customer for any length of time more than a year for someone becoming a customer now.  There a set number of points awarded each year, but it's the same amount each year.  I wwouldn't be concerned with any dealy in receiving loyalty points caused by purposely suspending your service.  The amount of money saved by not paying for the plan temporarily will be far greater.

musicollector

I like the latter idea, but an obvious thought occurred to me. I heard somewhere that there are benefits to staying a customer for a certain number of years.
1. What are those benefits?
2. Would breaking service in the interim affect the above outcome?

TIA.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The minimum you can do is pay every about 4 months. You then have an active account for about 1 month (which you wouldn't use). Then you let it suspend by not paying. Then about 3 months later make sure to reactivate. After 90 days of suspension (or 120 days since that last payment) the account would fully deactivate and you lose everything about the account.

musicollector

Brilliant idea! Thank you very much to both of you.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@musicollector 

Only way to keep your number and account Active. You must keep up with your monthly payments.

I would suggest you change your plan to the $15/month plan and go on AutoPay or as @computergeek541 suggested to stop payment up to 90 days then made payment on the 87th day (leaving 3 days encase something goes wrong) to reactivate your account.

@musicollector wrote:

I am wondering if my SIM and number will be deactivated if I am away from the country, seeing I will not be able to use your service in Asia. Or, is there a way I can keep my SIM and number suspended for the duration of my absence.

There is no requirement to actually use the service to keep it.  Simply paying for your plan is enough to keep your account active.  You could also purposely stop paying for your plan, but if you go 90 days of your service being suspended because of that, you'll lose y our phone number and the Public Mobile account will get closed.

Need Help? Let's chat.