cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to switch providers to PM

murt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am looking to switch cell phone providers to start using one of Public Mobile's plans.

I currently have a phone that I purchased on a tab with Koodo, and I plan on keeping the same phone (as well as the same number). I still have a balance owing for the tab, but I just now cleared the tab, and Koodo prompted me that I will be charged for the remaining balance on my next bill cycle.

I have a couple of questions about switching phone providers:

1. When is the best time to switch over within a bill cycle? Or does it not matter?
  2. Based on the above, since my tab balance will be charged on my next bill cycle, should I be waiting until the end of my next bill cycle to switch over? Can I switch over now if I cleared the tab but have not yet been charged for it?
  3. What are the steps I have to take to switch my phone from the Koodo plan to a Public Mobile plan correctly?
  4. Do I need to worry about my phone being locked to Koodo or something of the sort? I'm not very familiar with the phone provider locks.

10 REPLIES 10

@darlicious wrote:

To check if a phone is unlocked from koodo you would have to use a non-pm/koodo/telus sim card. A locked phone from any of the telus providers will work or their "sister"companies as phones were /are locked to the network not the individual providers.

You're right, I should have been more specific and chosen better wording.

It's not really about if the Koodo phone only works on Koodo, it's about whether the Koodo phone will work on Public.

It's unlikely to be locked anyhow. My advice was intended to help avoid a nasty surprise.