cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to Change Current Mobile Account/Service from Telus to Public Mobile

WayneN
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Currently frustrated with level of service from Telus Mobile and the brutal time waits to get any level of decent customer service. Have friends on Public and want to port my existng Telus cellphone number over to Public.

Have changed out the Telus Sim to a Public Sim and am now at the 3rd step of Public activation that is endeavouring to link my cell number/account to the Public plan I/ve selected. From my computer is appears that Public is actively trying to link my selected plan to my cellphone with the newly installed Public Sim. How long does this process take? I hope that I do not have to contact Telus to release (unlock) my phone/number to port matters to Public. 

Help! 

10 REPLIES 10

tina9099
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just ported mine with no issue and did it online without speaking to anyone. You have to make sure to keep the Telus SIM card in your phone until you receive a message from them confirming you are cancelling the service and transferring your phone number. After confirming this with Telus by responding to the message, you can put the Public Mobile SIM card in your phone.  Hope this helps!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@usafzai If you already replied yes to the porting authorization text then put your public mobile some card in your phone and reboot it and you most likely should have service.

usafzai

Got every thing completed in 1 Hrs.  BRAVO

usafzai

Congratulations.... I did the same just now, all went okay now waiting for Public Mobile service to start.  Telus sent ask for the change to which I replied YES.  Waiting for public to respond.... 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@WayneN 

Have you paid yet? Nothing's going to happen with your public mobile SIM card until you pay and when you see the spinning wheel and the countdown 1 2 3 4 that's when your sim card is getting activated.

If you have decided to Port your telus number in upon it activation then you need to put the telus sim card back in your phone so you can reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) from Telus within 90 minutes of receiving it. Once you do that you can then remove your telus sim card and put your public SIM card back in the phone. Reboot and check for your services to be active. The telus port if you enter the correct information should be almost instantaneous.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@WayneN hi have you passed the payment section of your activation if so you must leave your telus sim in your phone to receive transfer request, you have 90 minutes to reply yes after thet you can put your public sim in phone 

@softech wrote:

btw, for porting, your Telus account must still be active

A suspended prepaid account from Telus Mobility can still be ported to Public Mobile.

@WayneN wrote:

Currently frustrated with level of service from Telus Mobile and the brutal time waits to get any level of decent customer service. Have friends on Public and want to port my existng Telus cellphone number over to Public.

Have changed out the Telus Sim to a Public Sim and am now at the 3rd step of Public activation that is endeavouring to link my cell number/account to the Public plan I/ve selected. From my computer is appears that Public is actively trying to link my selected plan to my cellphone with the newly installed Public Sim. How long does this process take? I hope that I do not have to contact Telus to release (unlock) my phone/number to port matters to Public. 

Help! 

Telus owns Public Mobile, so I would not expect quicker customers service from Public Mobile especially with the nature of Public Mobile being a budget brand.  Make sure that you leave your Telus Mobility SIM card in your phone. You will need to reply to a text message sent by Telus Mobility to complete the number transfer to Public Mobile. You do not need to contact Telus Mobilty to port a number, but you do need to pay any amounts owing to them. Porting from Telus Mobility should be almost instant but could possibly take a couple of hours.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Before you continue with your switch, be aware that PM does NOT have live support at all.

All support is done by PM customers in this forum.

Only account related issues are handled by agent through personal mail (through this forum).

As for switching, it is relatively simple.

Get PM SIM. You can activate it while opening self-serving account. Get temporary number offered. When everything works as expected, in a day or two request transfer number. BOTH account have to be actrive. Keep your old SIM in your phone, reply Yes within 90 minutes after receiving SMS from Telus and that will be it in a perfect world... Some hiccups are possible but it will be no problem to resolve since Telus/PM are the same company.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@WayneN   You aware PM is owned by Telus?  Also, just want you to undestand that PM support is all online. , no live support number to call.  Support is via Community here and open ticket with PM here.  Want you to  understand that before you join since you are upset with Telus support

btw, for porting, your Telus account must still be active

for your activation, are you still on the activation portal?  one of the steps will ask you if you want to bring your number, you click that and provide the portal your Telus account number.  

Once you completed the activation process, DO NOT pull your telus sim card from the phone yet.  You need to wait for a text from Telus and reply YES to approve the porting.  That is a critical step

Need Help? Let's chat.