cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vouchers from Walmart

cprnicus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Did PM have a tiff with Walmart about selling vouchers? I went there in August to pick up my usual monthly vouchers and was told they "no longer sell" PM vouchers (in a very condescending manner at that) like I was asking the black sheep of the cell community to come out and play. Had to purchase a throw away CC to carry the last few months of billing. Had a hell of a time accessing that part of my account to register it too. I DO NOT like the switch to this new online "service" from Telus. Nothing but log-in problems trying to access any info on my account. NEVER had these problems before the switch. I left Telus years ago and it seems like a stalker who finds your new address and keeps harassing you as you move. Must be a nice gig for the very few choices for cell service providers in Canada to be monopolizing the market, fleecing the sheep and pay off the feds.

17 REPLIES 17

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@cprnicus 

Yeah....I don't shop at Walmart either....but I do take advantage of their free photo promotions.

cprnicus

Thank you all for your replies and advice on this topic. I have basically voted against Walmart's policy and attitude by taking ALL my shopping elsewhere. If we all fight corporate folly in this manner, no matter the company, we hit them in their proverbial gonads and the boardroom trolls gasp in revenue drop. I use throw away CC now (like vanilla) as I'm not too keen on my past dealings with Telus and went to PM to get away from their telecommunications monopoly games but alas, same castle different dungeon.

cprnicus

Vouchers count for petro points?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CalgaryBen 

Great post. Maybe a repost in the voucher catalogue would be helpful too. Alas the LD Extras loyalty program revamp has changed the 5% return to a lowly 1% but can be combined with a cash back credit card with pharmacy/drugstore cash back of up to 4%.

Have you ever heard of invitation.codes? It may be of interest to you. I ran across it while looking up info on koodo's referral program. I'm thinking of joining it myself.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

It was @CalgaryBen that mentioned he had received airmiles on pm voucher purchases.

Wow, good memory!  That was 3 years ago (see this thread)... I got a bunch of promo AMs during that very-limited Shell/MC 10% promo, but no idea if they award any "regular" AMs on prepaid loads, especially today.  It's quite likely they've revised eligibility of AMs.  I haven't gotten vouchers from Shell since then, so no data points from here.

I'm definitely a proponent of getting any rebates you can.  Unfortunately any PM partnerships with KOHO Visa (now MC), Ampli, etc. seem to have all dissolved.  The Ampli one (from 2020) was one of the best, with 25% CB; I loaded up $100 at a time a few times over, and only this year depleting the pre-paid balance, and letting auto-pay kick back in to pay for my PM usage.

The best rebate I can find right now (close to @Nezgar's 4% CB using CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite for gas/groceries) would be something like the 5% CB for grocery purchases using BMO CB WE MC (but capped at $500/mo).  If you use the full $500 for actual groceries, then the BMO CB WE MC also gives 3% CB for gas purchases which can be used for PM voucher purchases, where available.  BMO CB WE MC is available for sign-up with FYF, but does have some income requirements.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar 

It was @CalgaryBen that mentioned he had received airmiles on pm voucher purchases.

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

Shell used to give AM's....when did you notice that change?

I know I had suggested that in the past, but it seems in reality from my own experience (August 2022) you can't get airmiles from "phone card" type purchases, along with the usual gift cards, etc. I don't think I actually tested it prior myself.

I would be surprised if similar places also don't reward their respective points: Esso/PC points, Husky rewards etc. Curious if there are some brands that do. For me 4% cashback is a decent enough deal in and of of itself.

@darlicious 

I was at a baby shower in Surrey but had to go into Walmart in Guildford for a baby shower card. While get the card, walked over to the cell department and asked.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@cprnicus 

Thanks for the feedback on buying vouchers at Walmart being YMMV. I will update my post and the voucher catalogue. You may find this post helpful....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Can-t-Make-a-Payment-or-Update-Your-Card-...

@BKNS27 

Would that be the Grandview location?

@CountyDownIeUk 

Public mobile vouchers bought at Canadian Tire's customer service desk have a known delay of a minimum 4 to 8 hours before they are valid. Canadian Tire gas bars have RTP (real time payments) for a $1 fee and require your 10 digit phone number. Once or twice a year SDM will have a promotion to get a bonus $25 Canadian Tire gift card when you purchase $300 in Canadian Tire gift cards. These can be used to purchase pm vouchers or make RTP's.

@Nezgar 

Shell used to give AM's....when did you notice that change?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

i

@JL9 wrote:

Plus if you have that gas stations loyalty card (petro points etc) you can accumulate points for gas and other things as well, if you are spending it anyways may as well maximize your return lol

I found that shell at least doesn't give you airmiles for public mobile payment vouchers, as they are considered "phone cards" and are excluded. Which stations have you found that their points/loyalty still applies?

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Plus if you have that gas stations loyalty card (petro points etc) you can accumulate points for gas and other things as well, if you are spending it anyways may as well maximize your return lol

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I like buying my payment vouchers from gas stations since that then purchase counts as the 4% cashback gas stations category on my CIBC VISA Dividend Infinite card. Also, when passing through Alberta on road trips I'll buy them at a gas station there to save PST too. 😉

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @cprnicus it could be.  I went to one Walmart before and they said the same thing.  I ended up getting it from Shoppers Drug Mart.  You can also try Shell

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@cprnicus 

That is interesting, I know they don’t sell SIM but they told me that they have voucher at my local Walmart.

Check these other locations for a voucher:

F675D937-563A-4541-9033-CBAEBBB43072.jpeg

 Ignore Walmart on the list if it is not available at your Walmart.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Is the condescending behaviour related to them no longer selling PM products? Or is that just normal for Walmart? 

Try Canadian Tire. 

Note: My Community Account is not regularly monitored. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Next time you fill the tank at Shell Gas ...get payment vouchers there as well.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Lots of stores still sell vouchers. You can also buy them online.

But yes, a little while ago, Public pulled back retail access for activations. I guess some stores said screw it we won't sell anything of yours.

Another method to pay is the real time payments or instant top-up method in a few stores.

Need Help? Let's chat.