cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail acting funny

Itsmynumber
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This has happened more than once.

I call my voicemail to check my voicemail and enter my password. 

When voicemail is functioning properly I hear the normal voicemail box stuff.

Recently, I enter my password and get a message that I enter the password incorrectly and then it quickly corrects itself and let me hear my voicemails anyways...

I know I entered the correct password so... This is either a really late April's fool joke (and it's not funny) or I don't know what is wrong with the voicemail system provided by public mobile.

Is ok, no one calls me anyways. All the voicemail I receive are junk mail, not from friends or family. It's always some random person who called the wrong number or a sales call or etc.

But this weird voicemail thing is making me wonder if someone guessed my easy to guess voicemail password and changed my settings 😞

It's my phone, I am an adult, I should have full control over it.  I pay my bills on time too and don't go over my limit 😞

6 REPLIES 6

Itsmynumber

It still happens sometimes but it's ok. Everyone who knows me know I don't really use my cell phone.

@Itsmynumber wrote:

It's sad really.  I hate all this online stuff and I dislike social media.

You are not alone!

How do you feel when salesperson (for example Michael's craft store) asks you for email? Or at doctor's office? And they look you crosseyed if you do not have or do not want to give them one?

There are web sites/services you cannot enter/subscribe without providing mobile phone. What if I do not have one?

Some sites will send you 2FA by SMS only. No mobile phone? No service.

As remedy you can have multiple emails and selectively give them away. Or you can have voip app and share throwaway mobile phone number.

Itsmynumber

Someone could have hacked into the tablet that I am using years ago or put parental control over it without my consent.  The funny voicemail setting happens every time I receive a junk or maybe phishing voicemail. This is what I suspect.  Whoever is doing this is just trying to annoy me and they are very successful.

I sort of want to cancel my number however a lot of ppl are going the paperless route and forcing two steps authentication, so how can I be without a cell phone number. It's sad really.  I hate all this online stuff and I dislike social media.

I've been a loner my whole life, it's just much easier for ppl to ignore others and stay in their circle.  I am sorry I am a circle of one.

@Itsmynumber wrote:

But this weird voicemail thing is making me wonder if someone guessed my easy to guess voicemail password and changed my settings 😞

Many customers won't care much about the privacy of Public Mobile's voicemail system, but I'll inform you right now that by default, it isn't secure.  If you have the setting enabled for Public Mobile to not ask for a password when you call from you own phone, anyone can get into your voicemail account without a password to listen to or delete messages, change settings, or mess around with your greeting/recorded message.  I won't get into further detail here about how this is done, but this is something that was brought to the attention of Public Mobile years ago, but this issue was never fixed/never secured.   If this at all is a concern of yours, please change your voicemail box's settings to always ask for your voicemail password no matter where you are checking your messages from.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Itsmynumber  So, you entered the correct password but the message said wrong and then it let you listen to your voicemail (since you have actually entered the correct one)

How many times that have happened?  just once? or  a lot more frequent?

Maybe try changing the VM password first and see if it happens again

Need Help? Let's chat.