cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice drops out in calls

Ta2four
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I currently have a 3G plan using an iPhone 8. My coverage area apparently supports 5G. I currently get 1 bar signal strength. 
When I’m talking on the phone the speech from the other end of the call will drop out on occasion, especially if I walk around (even outside). This is not something new but does seem to be worse now than in the past. We are in Ammon NB, Canada. I’m considering upgrading my phone to a 5G model but I’m not sure if that will help if the issue is a reception issue. Advice? I’m guessing that it won’t matter if I get an iPhone or android that supports 5G. I know that this is a public mobile community but would rogers or bell be better in my area? Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4

Ta2four
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks to everyone for your advice. My phone is set to use LTE so I’ll switch it to 3G to see if it helps. My wife’s phone has the exact same issue so it is not likely a device specific issue. Switching to 3G gives me 3 bars instead of just one bar on LTE. I haven’t tested a voice call yet. Thanks again. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Ta2four 

PM uses 3G and VoLTE for voice.  You have iPhone 8 and will be using VoLTE. Some people actually getting worse voice calls with this newer technology, try change it back to 3G and test voice calls

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Ta2four 

5G only improves the upload and download speeds. Also carriers will need to improve their current infrastructure to include 5G…normally are upgraded in big cities first.

Therefore, 5G will not improve your dropouts. Better to check which carrier cell towers in your area and go with them.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=51.998410&lng=-96.987305&zoom=4&type=Roadm... 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Ta2four 

the new iPhone might or might not help with your voice because of VoLTE.  But your iPhone 8 should be using VoLTE already

First, check if you are already using VoLTE

turn off Wifi first. Check if the phone status bar showing it is connected to 4G or LTE

Then make some calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G while you are on the calls.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are using VoLTE, and you can see if calls are any better.  

If you are using VoLTE and the experiencing the voice issue, try to change the network mode to 3G  and see if it helps.  It is not a good solution, but test it

For permanent fix, make sure your Carrier profile is updated, also click Reset All Networks and see if it helps

And do you have another phoen to test your PM sim ?  just to make sure it is not a device problem.  Also, that can force a sim card re-provision and it could resolve the problem

Need Help? Let's chat.