cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice calls cutting out consistently

ipswitch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

I've been with public mobile for years without any problems, but over the last year or so I've had call audio cutting out (both for me and for whoever is on the other end) for 5-10 seconds at a time. This can happen several times over a 5 minute phone call, and since I'm now making more calls than I used to, I'm considering this a pretty big problem.

Trying to troubleshoot this has been tricky. At first I thought it was my phone, which was a OnePlut 7T when this problem first appeared. In the last week I've upgraded to a Pixel 7, and this problem persists. The call quality is very good / clear at all times except for when the call cuts out, then it goes back to a normal high quality call. 

I live in the middle of a big city (Vancouver BC), so it shouldn't be an issue with cell towers being too far away. I haven't moved in years, I've been in the same location and certainly didn't have any problems like this until the last year or so. Most of the trouble shooting I could think to do (airplane mode, phone updates, checking the sim card, not using bluetooth devices) have all been done, and the fact that this is still happening with a different/brand new phone makes me think it's something else. Would it be worth getting a new sim card, in case that is the problem? It's clean, slotted properly, and otherwise working just fine, I simply can't think what else the problem could be.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Any bright ideas about what else I could check? Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

@ipswitch 

I'm pretty sure your account is the problem. ask customer support to reset your network from their end. 

ipswitch

Yeah I wish it was as simple as a bad signal! I usually have nearly full bars. Another post here pointed out an app I could use to test my signal strength and it turns out I'm really close to a cell tower, so I can pretty much rule that out as the problem.

ipswitch

Thanks for the suggestion! I had a look at the app and it was useful for at least confirming that I am near a cell tower (about four blocks away). My signal is pretty strong, and my call quality is really good and clear right up until it cuts out. A bit of a headscratcher... I'll keep my eye on this app though, maybe I can get some more useful info out of it.

ipswitch

Lol, I'll try to avoid Surrey for now... I'm in East Vancouver, right near Commercial and Broadway. I have other friends in my building and in this neighborhood and I don't think they have any the same problem as me. I will try to test out my call quality in some different areas though.

ipswitch

From what I remember it's not much better, but I will make a point of testing this more thoroughly.

ipswitch

That's a good point. I don't make too many calls when I'm outside but from what I can remember I still have calls cut out. I live in an old building, mostly wood, so unless my upstairs neighbor is decorating with tinfoil I don't think my building should be a problem. This is a good line of thinking though, I'll make a point of testing the call quality when I'm in different parts of the city.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@ipswitch 

How many signal bars is showing on your phone? It could be the signal go to your phone.

@darlicious 

Where in Vancouver? Maybe I can go for a bike ride and test near your location?”

🤣🤣🤣

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ipswitch , you could try doing some troubleshooting with this app.  It will help to locate the cell towers in your area and the signal strength that you are receiving.  It could be that you are in coverage hole.  It does happen even in the city.  My area is heavily low rise residential and so there is not much opportunity to place towers and so my signal is generally weak, however adequate enough to hold a call with the exception of a couple of spots in the basement.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfo&hl=fr_CA

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hairbag1 

Lol...go to Surrey? 😀😄😄😆😆😆😅😅😅😅😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣!!!!

@ipswitch 

Where in Vancouver? Maybe I can go for a bike ride and test near your location?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ipswitch 

hi contact customer support

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

*customer support doesn't always respond promptly. please be patient and check your inbox every few hours to see if there is a response

CSA are available from
- Monday to Friday: 6AM- 10PM EST
- Saturday and Sunday: 6AM- 10PM EST  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @ipswitch any improvement 8f you go to different part of Vancouver??

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Does that also happen when you're away from downtown location ?

added later..

turns out concrete / steel do degrade your cell signal significantly. To test...I'd suggest taking SkyTrain to Surrey to see if you get any better cell reception.

Need Help? Let's chat.