cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE on 3G plan

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

I have my iPhone data turned on, it is set on LTE, WiFi is turned off. I reset network settings, rebooted my iPhone, turned phone back off, removed sim card for a few minutes, put sim card back in phone & turned phone back on then tried calls again yet VoLTE still does not work! Calls drop to 3G when making calls!

CSA’s said that VoLTE is activated on my account but I was told by more than 1 CSA that it won’t work due to I don’t have a 4G phone plan!

Edited: For clearer explanation!

Edit: Update, March 20, 2023: 

My phone is an iPhone 6s. I just received another message from a CSA saying:

“Public Mobile here we received a ticket # for calls dropping from LTE to 3G unfortunately only IPhone 8 and up are supposed for Volte on our network, so your calls will show 3G. Thank you.”

So, even though my iPhone 6s worked for VoLTE with Rogers it is not compatible to work for VoLTE with Public Mobile yet was confirmed from Telus that this phone will work on the TELUS VoLTE network😕

Edit: Update, March 20, 4:10pm:

From a CSA: 

I checked the resolution of the ticket submitted to the technical team. VoLTE on iPhone 6s works on Telus postpaid and Koodo prepaid and postpaid but not on Public Mobile.

Public Mobile supports newer models (iPhone 8 and newer) for VoLTE. So if in the future you'll upgrade the phone, make sure to choose a model that supports VoLTE on our network.

I remain at your disposal.

Respectfully yours,
CS_Agent

Edit: Update: March 21, 12pm: I received a text message to my phone from Diane from Tech Support for information & troubleshooting. My call forwarding is now fixed!
Also, trying a new iPhone 14 Pro. My phone now stays on LTE when making calls even though it doesn’t say VoLTE on it! So, as many of you said…. I did not need a 3G phone plan for VoLTE to work for phone calls! Hmmm 🙄

134 REPLIES 134

@XionBunny wrote:

My ims status still remains unregistered, not sure when I'll luck out like everyone else, I did port in after Feb 22nd.

Maybe try rebooting phone, try SIM in another phone, verify "Voice over LTE" is enabled under "IMS settings" (if using an android phone).

Another hint seems to be to check if you are still able to customize conditional call forwards. Trying to set these options on my phone now results in an error, only except for unconditional forwarding, which I can still set.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My ims status still remains unregistered, not sure when I'll luck out like everyone else, I did port in after Feb 22nd.

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@LitlLdy 

??????

@will13am wrote:

Thanks for the update.  This is why I discourage members in this forum from suggestions that force the phone onto 3G as a way to seek enhanced performance.  

Ties right in with those CSAs implying that some customers are imagining things.

I embrace that, with VoLTE now available, leaving it to the phone to pick the best connection makes sense now.

However, up to February 22/2023*, trying to force the phone to 3G was a valid trouble shooting tool for consistently missing calls that go directly to voicemail without ringing on the phone despite having an actual (4G) connection, in areas with borderline 3G availability / bandwidth, IMHO. I recommended trying it, where it seemed appropriate advice, because it worked for my situation. I never said it was the panacea.

It's really fantastic that you never had to deal with this problem and have always had flawless call connectivity. Good for you! And I'm happy that soon all of us should be able to enjoy call reliably again (as long as we are in coverage, of course, and hopefully with call forwarding options restored eventually).

But dismissing people who found that it helped with their call problem in the past is not ok. Just because you didn't experience the problem yourself doesn't mean that it didn't exist pre-VoLTE for some people in some areas.

Even in 2023, there are people who actually use their cell phones predominantly as *gasp* phones. I've been in the same spot for 5 out of the 6 years this line has been active with PM. While the quality seemed to gradually decline, in summer 2022 there was a considerable drop in call reliability and quality.

I can tell you, having 9 out of 10 calls going straight to voicemail because the phone (actually tried with a hanful of different brands, models and OS versions, just before you bring that one up) can't drop down to 3G fast enough for the device to ring is ... a PITA. 

Once the phone was connected to 3G all the time (in this spot) the ratio inversed: 1 out of 10 calls didn't come through before voicemail kicked in. I still had to go to the "phone spot" to get somewhat acceptable call quality, but at least I could take the calls as they came in. 

In the few days with VoLTE I've had 100% call connection, and the quality feels like a completely different ball game.

I'm happily ditching that recent research on second tier providers. 

* Or possibly until that official help article was actually online, I did browse the help articles in early March and the VoLTE piece wasn't there. It is the only official statement about VoLTE rollout we mere mortals got to see, as far as I can tell.

Yeah I agree. LTE should outperform 3G almost every day of the week. Especially for uplink and edge of coverage.

Thanks for the update.  This is why I discourage members in this forum from suggestions that force the phone onto 3G as a way to seek enhanced performance.  

@gpixel , I don't have any option to toggle VoLTE in the IMS menu.  It's only an information display, not settings.

@gpixel 

Oh you didn't have to change it back on my account. I actually think it's better to have all the details in your original post, but it's up to you.

@hTideGnow 

yes I found it odd, however, it's not that important... as long as it's working that's good enough for me 👍

*I've just read an article.

According to an older Sprint/T-Mobile support article, “Google Pixel devices received software updates in 2021 that automatically enabled VoLTE and removed the toggle.” You can disable Wi-Fi calling on Pixel phones in Settings app > Network & internet > SIMs > Wi-Fi calling.

so not all phones have this option to disable volte. not sure why @will13am pixel shows different 

hi @gpixel you don't have the VoLTE option now?

the option is hide and unhide by carrier, but it should all unbidden now for everyone 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

when I was with virgin the toggle menu was present on the pixel 4. for whatever reason both devices don't show it. I'm on Android 13 not sure if that makes a difference... I also don't have the ability to disable volte through the '4636' option. the pixel 4 actually had it's toggle in the phone app on Android 10. I have also checked the networks & internet (menu for pixels) to no avail. if you want to jump start the volte CS will do it for you. I believe all it takes is a compatible device and to reset the network on PMs side. make sure to follow their instructions after the reset is performed. it also seems we may have access to at&t again from what they were saying

@gpixel- Do you think the OS should have the toggle? That's very interesting that it works but not showing the toggle. My Samsung shows the toggle with my US service sim in the phone. I've been doing airplane mode and the odd restart waiting for it to show up. I still don't show registered and it still uses UMTS.

You're looking in something similar to settings, connections, mobile networks right?

thanks @sheytoon   as well.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

all good I changed it back

@hTideGnow after the code -> phone information -> 3 dots in upper right -> IMS service status

Ah nevermind, gpixel updated his post 🙂

thanks @gpixel 

@hTideGnow 

• *#*#4636#*#* 

HI @gpixel   how you get to this IMS screen?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

I can confirm volte is now working after Christopher reset my network on PMs end. both the 6 pro and 4 are not showing volte toggles, however, volte is working for both

Screenshot_20230318-072834.png

Screenshot_20230318-072632.png

@Pop_Eye wrote:

@LitlLdy wrote:

I have my iPhone Data on, set on LTE, WiFi off. Reset network settings & rebooted my iPhone yet does not work! Calla drop to 3g when making calls!

VoLTE is activated on my account but I was told by more than 1 CSA that it won’t work due to I don’t have a 4g plan!

It works on my iPhone XR and 8 plus. Set LTE on. If in house, turn wifi off and data on.....do you see LTE? See here.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

You might not have been migrated yet. Lower mainland BC is on LTE for me and a few others that have mentioned. 

@Pop_Eye , read what you replied to. 🤣

Edit: @Pop_Eye , Maybe we misunderstood each other? I said iPhone Data on, set on LTE, WiFi off, calls drop to 3g when making or receiving calls. CSA’s said that VoLTE is activated/setup on my account!

I’ve had VoLTE through Rogers on this same phone living in my same home!

Pop_Eye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@LitlLdy wrote:

I have my iPhone Data on, set on LTE, WiFi off. Reset network settings & rebooted my iPhone yet does not work! Calla drop to 3g when making calls!

VoLTE is activated on my account but I was told by more than 1 CSA that it won’t work due to I don’t have a 4g plan!

It works on my iPhone XR and 8 plus. Set LTE on. If in house, turn wifi off and data on.....do you see LTE? See here.  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

You might not have been migrated yet. Lower mainland BC is on LTE for me and a few others that have mentioned. 

There is some cannibalizing (or re-farming as we like to call it) happening to reduce 1900 from 10 MHz DC-HSPA to 5 MHz single carrier HSPA. The focus is to enable bands on 5G though, not on LTE.

In addition to that, Telus and Bell seem happy to keep 5 MHz of 850 for low band 3G coverage.

By the way, the 2025 rumour is not a realistic one in my opinion. My guess is 3G will remain in Canada until at least 2027-2028.

The focus on 5G capacity bands is the current n78 and upcoming n77, which will be auctioned in October this year. Beyond that, they'd be looking at mid-band LTE re-farming, either with or without DSS, to get more capacity on 5G. Think n25, n7, n66.

5G coverage layer on low band is likely going to be n71 for Telus areas, and n5 for Bell. This could give Bell an opportunity to re-farm 3G and 4G B5 entirely to get a respectable 10 MHz of n5. So far I've seen Bell re-farm their LTE B5 to n5 in Toronto, but not 3G B5. So for now, their Toronto n5 is only 5 MHz.

@sheytoon wrote:

@gpixel as far as I know, VoLTE is not restricted to any area. Once it's provisioned for an account, it'll be available anywhere in Canada provided the phone is on LTE.

As for 3G being stronger, it won't matter unless LTE is also very weak. If both signals are strong, phone will stay on LTE.

@sheytoon , can you comment on the state of the union with 3G networks in Canada as it heads into obscurity in a little under 3 years time.  Spectrum is not an infinite resource and so would some of the pie from 3G be repurposed to support LTE?  I cannot imagine the 3G network being better than ever all the way up the final day of service.  Surely there must be cannibalizing happening in the background.  

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dust2dust, even though the 1st CSA stated he turned on VoLTE on my account does not mean it was done correctly or ready to work correctly I guess! 😕. Was worth a try. 

I have positively confirmed with other oracles who have 3G plans that VoLTE does not require a 4G plan.  Some are already using VoLTE on 3G plans.

I concur as I am on the $15 "3G Speed" plan and have functional VoLTE, even with data disabled. It's not obvious in any way other than watching to see that the network no longer changes from "LTE" or "LTE+" to "3G" or "H+" for the duration of a call. I have to turn off Wi-Fi to even see that change. That and the "IMS Settings" in the network settings now indicates "Connected".

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

Now to add another (3rd) CSA (Edmund) that says the same info I posted that VoLTE will not work on a 3g data plan & I need to update to a 4g data plan for VoLTE to work! Despite me stating that other Customers are on 3g data plans and using VoLTE! I am reminded that CSA are trained & know what they’re talking about! So, I guess the Customers that have it on 3g data plans are imagining it! Well , if we could imagine things…. I’m a billionaire & life is very different, I’m only on here for pure fun & amusement! 🤣

Edit: I will add that I asked for the ticket to be closed by the previous ones but nope a new one decided to reply as a broken skipping record!

@gpixel as far as I know, VoLTE is not restricted to any area. Once it's provisioned for an account, it'll be available anywhere in Canada provided the phone is on LTE.

As for 3G being stronger, it won't matter unless LTE is also very weak. If both signals are strong, phone will stay on LTE.

@XionBunny wrote:

I have an app that tells me ims status.

@XionBunny , I didn’t know there was an app!

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have an app that tells me ims status.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Not all dial codes work with all phones. I look for the IMS line in the sim card status on my phone. But it's easier to look for the volte toggle in networks.

Need Help? Let's chat.