cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE not happening

dcliveca--1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been using a VoLTE-capable AT&T Galaxy S7 G930A on PM on $15 3G plan, well before Feb. 22/2023.  The phone's 4G/LTE indicator for mobile data changes to 4G only when initiating a voice call, even when I have turned on Enhanced LTE Services including HD Voice.

Next month I have a trip to the US which requires VoLTE for voice, and I'd like to use the $30 talk/text/data US Roaming add-on.  I also would like this add-on for my spouse's US Cellular Galaxy Note 8 N950U for our trip.  How can I get VoLTE activated on our accounts/phones before departure?

According to Frequencycheck, my S7 supports 7 out of 8 LTE bands that TELUS uses, exception being LTE B13 (700 c)

16 REPLIES 16

dcliveca--1

Follow-up having returned from the US and used the PM Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 3GB Data Bundle for my spouse's unlocked Note 8 from US Cellular. 

Prior to travelling to the US, PM tech support indicated VoLTE enabled on spouse's account but unable to make VoLTE calls in Canada since phone is not on PM whitelist.  This did not change when US roaming on T-Mobile, nor did phone's VoLTE options appear.

Once in the US, received incoming texts, and mobile data worked through browser,  Ended up toggling the connection on T-Mobile from LTE to GSM/Edge (basically for 2G) for the Voice and Data network type in order to make calls/send outgoing text, then toggle back to use the browser.

Incidentally, my AT&T phones (S7, Note 4) as well as spouse's Note 8 were able to make VoLTE calls with AT&T SIM & 30-day prepaid unlimited talk/text/5Gb data bundle.  Too bad PM insists on enforcing a whitelist.

dcliveca--1

Not having the VoLTE/Enhanced Calling toggle seems to happen frequently when running non-carrier phones on their networks. With PM, currently my AT&T S7 has the toggle, spouse's US Cellular Note 8 does not, nor does my spare AT&T Note 4.  Once my PM line is migrated to VoLTE, I want to see if the toggles appear and work as the phones were designed.

The branded S7 and Note 4 are tested and approved for the AT&T network after the 3G shutdown, so with an AT&T SIM they should work (though may require a software update).  Also hoping the Note 8 can access VoLTE with an AT&T SIM, since US Cellular has roaming agreements with AT&T and T-Mobile, but wouldn't be surprised if VoLTE on that phone only works with a US Cellular SIM.

Thanks. I was going by experience. I never checked that site. My S7 has a Telus rom on it (as indicated by having a Telus app on it although it was really originally from Bell). It says compatible according to the site. But my US sim does not give me volte options. And IMS is unregistered.

Adding - @hTideGnow 

HI @dust2dust   check the Telus VoLTE database, my  S7 Edge made the list

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Questions-about-VoLTE-being-enabled/m-p/9...

No, I need to fix my S7 Edge before I can put the sim and actually test it

@dcliveca--1- As I said earlier, my Canadian S7 did not give me the volte or vowifi toggle when I put my US sim in it the same way my daily driver does. I would not be convinced that volte is on the phone. Maybe a non-stock rom might.

dcliveca--1

Late April plan is to add the 15-day US roaming add-on on one of our phones, so will definitely try to connect to both AT&T and T-Mobile over LTE and 2G.  Odds are good someone in the community will test this before then, hopefully.

AT&T won't allow OTA updates unless on their network, so also considering their $30/5Gb pre-paid SIM to facilitate system updates to my S7 and to an unlocked AT&T Note 4 that is also VoLTE-capable.

Hi @dcliveca--1 

Please also test if you can connect to AT&T

@dust2dust wrote:

@dcliveca--1- Just wait it out. You don't actually need it.

For service within Canada, this is a valid point. But OP indicated upcoming travel to the USA, where this would likely provide a significant improvement to voice call reliability.

I'd wait it out to see if it might automatically get enabled closer to your travel date, and if still nothing by a few days before you depart try opening a ticket with the CS agents as suggested earlier by @HALIMACS  and nicely ask to be provisioned early...

Noone has yet confirmed that VoLTE enablement actually gives you VoLTE service in the USA though. I'ts "likely" but still TBD!

@dcliveca--1- Just wait it out. You don't actually need it. The existing network works fine unless you're in a couple places in MB. Even if you're going to the states to roam there is still the existing 2G for talk. But maybe you don't talk on the phone. Maybe you're one of those that types everything. If the phone doesn't have the option to change to 2G and you're going to the states then maybe. That's about it.

Queue jumping is always unpleasant to observe for decent, patient people. How are queue jumpers so special that they deserve to jump ahead of everybody else? They're not. So guess what they are....

dcliveca--1

When idle my phone's indicator has "4G LTE", then when making a call the "LTE" part disappears, leaving just "4G".

*#*#4636#*#*  indicates Voice Network Type and Data Network Type are LTE, but VoLTE Provisioned toggle is OFF, and attempts to toggle this to ON just get reset back to OFF.

Also, Settings->IMS Registration status is "Not registered".

Anyone know when the migration to VoLTE will be complete?  I'm willing to be patient if it's within the next 2-3 weeks, otherwise might try halimacs suggestion to raise a ticket.

@hycm53 wrote:

@GR wrote:

I've got 2 plans that are on the 15$ and 13$ old plan and they both work with volte.  1 is an iPhone and the other is an Alcatel go flip phone so a 3g plan is made for volte also. 

This is what I talked about :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/VoLTE-on-3G-plan/m-p/960948

@hycm53 

Go back and read that thread.

The CSA statements re needing a 4G plan are still and will remain wrong. 

All Public Mobile plans are on the 4G / LTE network and the number of clients on the $15 and $25 "3G speed" plans that are using VoLTE is growing fast now. 

@dcliveca--1 

Migration to VoLTE is happening at Public Mobile as we speak.

As pointed out in the help article linked above, accounts are switched onto VoLTE in batches, so even if you don't have it this very moment, you will get it in the near future.

Assuming that there's no typo in your post, I think you might be using VoLTE already if your phone shows 4G when on calls?

However, I don't own your phone... do do you remember how calls showed several weeks ago on your phone? The phone would have dropped down to 3G for calls, but I don't know how it would have shown on the status bar?

*#*#4636#*#*  may bring up the IMS screen that indicates the status of VoLTE.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@GR wrote:

I've got 2 plans that are on the 15$ and 13$ old plan and they both work with volte.  1 is an iPhone and the other is an Alcatel go flip phone so a 3g plan is made for volte also. 

This is what I talked about :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/VoLTE-on-3G-plan/m-p/960948

GR
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS If try to contact CSA, the answer could be need 4G plan again as there's post wrote.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle
  1. @dcliveca--1 , check your phone for VoLTE compatibility.  LTE band compatibility is not sufficient.  I suspect that phones released before 2018 might not work.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@dcliveca--1 

When the network makes it available, for devices with the capability, it'll be available.

See this article about it:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/volte

If you wish to make a 'special request' for it to be applied earlier, perhaps there's a small chance the Customer Support Agents can assist (no guarantees!)

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type uCustomer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Need Help? Let's chat.