cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE in US

IslandFred
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a question regarding VoLTE for US roaming. I understand that the transition to VoLTE is being phased in for subscribers that have been on PM prior to Feb 2023. I also understand that once a subscriber has had VoLTE enabled they will be notified by PM that this has been done.

So if I have not been notified that VoLtE is activated on my phone will I be able to use VoLTE when I am in the US? I was recently in the US and had no talk service for most of the time. Data and text worked fine over LTE.

This whole experience has been a real pain in the butt. Not sure how anyone can continue to sell a service that they acknowledge doesn't work.

Any update on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

24 REPLIES 24

I guess the difference in connection time because your phone no longer need to switch from LTE to 3G.  In fact, if the phone is set to 3G only, it will connect as fast 

That's been my experience as well. Calls connect much quicker since being on VoLTE.

Isn't the situation solved? What is outstanding?

K_GL

What I'm referring to is the time it takes for the call to connect, not the time you hear the other person's voice. For instance, if I set up a vibrating alert to indicate when the call connects, with VoLTE, the alert will happen immediately after the call is placed, but with 3G, I'll have to wait for several seconds. This is a very noticeable difference that can help me determine if VoLTE is activated or not.

IslandFred

I received this after my last post. Seems this subject  is being monitored, too bad they don't spend the time to solve it.

Re: VoLTE in US

Dear IslandFred

Thank you for contacting Public Mobile. My name is Jorge

I am sorry you are having issues with the roaming service. I understand how important this is

It is my pleasure to assist you

We will continue to work on the improvement of the roaming services in order to offer you the best service

Sincerely,

Jorge_M

Public Mobile Customer Support Agent

IslandFred

That's hard to really determine.  I connect to Voicemail quickly but the timing is a bit subjective. My phone stays solidly on LTE so I am going to assume that I have been transitioned. It will become clear very quickly once I roam into the US. Shouldn't have to be like this. I have been happy with my full time US roaming plan for over 3 years but this situation is just inexcusable. The 3G shutdown has been in the works for a long time so the excuse that it takes time to get this solved  is simply just an insult to long time PM subscribers. I routinely recommend PM to others but hesitant to do so after this mess. I was in the US for 2 months earlier this year and had almost zero talk service. Fortunately my wife had a Tello account ($9 for 1gig of data, 500 mins of talk and unlimited text. Free calling to Canada and Mexico included.) 

@K_GL   good to know.:)

K_GL

One easy way to test if your VoLTE is activated is by calling your own voicemail. If VoLTE is activated, your voicemail will connect within half a second. However, if it is not activated and you are still on 3G voice, it may take at least 3 seconds or even longer to connect.

@IslandFred wrote:

That's interesting. So how would I be able to tell if it's activated on my phone? Any ideas? I have an iPhone 13 so it is capable. I only have two choices when I check, 3G or LTE. I have LTE selected but I don't see anywhere any indication regarding VoLTE.

I guess I will just see if it works in the US when I head there.

Cheers

@IslandFred , I have VoLTE on my account, I have an iPhone 14 Pro with my cellular data options set to voice & data on LTE, no where does it show VoLTE but my calls stay on LTE when on phone calls & do not drop to 3G. So, that is VoLTE working. I thought it would show VoLTE somewhere or the option to turn it on in settings like apple instructions keep showing!

@hycm53 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@IslandFred wrote:

I have a question regarding VoLTE for US roaming. I understand that the transition to VoLTE is being phased in for subscribers that have been on PM prior to Feb 2023. I also understand that once a subscriber has had VoLTE enabled they will be notified by PM that this has been done.

So if I have not been notified that VoLtE is activated on my phone will I be able to use VoLTE when I am in the US? I was recently in the US and had no talk service for most of the time. Data and text worked fine over LTE.

If VoLTE hasn't been abled on your Public Mobile account, VoLTE won't work in the US either.

How do I know VoLTE has been on my PM account?

@hycm53   you have to keep testing

Test by keep an eye when you are on voice calls.  If you  see the signal indicator shows LTE and not  drop back to H or 3G.  then you are on VolTE

Also, you can confirm by checking the IMS registration, see if it is "registered".  You can likely find it under About -> Status -> Sim card status on your phone

@hycm53 , make sure your phone is set on LTE not 3G, when you make a call if it stays on light & does not drop to 3G during the calls then you're on VoLTE!

@maximum_gato wrote:

@IslandFred 

Wow. There have been customers who have requested VoLTE to be enabled in their account in order to avail themselves of VoLTE calling while Roaming in the US. Close your ticket and wait for another few days or a week and contact customer support again.

Explain about your upcoming travel to the US and your need to be able to use your pm voice services "when" you purchase your US Roaming add on bundle and ask if they can enable it manually in your account. With a different CSA you may get a different answer that will be more satisfactory for your needs.

To add to this it took 4 different CSA’s before I received 1 that told the truth & provided the correct information regarding VoLTE! The 1st 3 kept pushing me to switch to a 4G phone plan stating that 3G phone plans won’t work for VoLTE! Which was a flat out lie & they refused to check their information even after me telling them several other Customers including some Oracle's are using VoLTE on 3G phone plans! They continued to lie stating that they’re professionals & trained in the knowledge! Apparently not! How can so many be so unprofessional & uneducated?

So, my input is don’t give up & push to talk to a senior CSA. Someone that has a clue what’s going on & will do their job properly. Otherwise you’ll continuously get the run around! 🙄

@computergeek541 wrote:

@IslandFred wrote:

If VoLTE hasn't been abled on your Public Mobile account, VoLTE won't work in the US either.

How do I know VoLTE has been on my PM account?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@IslandFred 

Wow. There have been customers who have requested VoLTE to be enabled in their account in order to avail themselves of VoLTE calling while Roaming in the US. Close your ticket and wait for another few days or a week and contact customer support again.

Explain about your upcoming travel to the US and your need to be able to use your pm voice services "when" you purchase your US Roaming add on bundle and ask if they can enable it manually in your account. With a different CSA you may get a different answer that will be more satisfactory for your needs.

IslandFred

Just as a followup on this subject. I did submit a ticket to Customer Service and got this reply. Unbelievable that they sell a service and when it doesn't work suggest that you buy service from another provider. Speechless.

Hello Fred!

Thank you for your reply and for securing your account!

I've checked your account and you activated your account prior February 22nd 2023, respectivelyon August 21st 2019 that being said this voLTE technology will be implemented in time in the next couple of months and you can view the details of this matter by going on this link here.

As an alternative and temporary option you can always get a local Prepaid USA number with a talk, text and data service in order to be sure you're covered in the USA for all 3 features. 🙂

That's great. You should be good for roaming then.

IslandFred

Thanks Denny. I did as suggested and my phone stays on LTE so I guess I have been switched over. 

I appreciate everyone's input.

Cheers

Fred

When you make a call if it stays on LTE you have VoLTE. If it drops to 3G to make a call, you don't. 

On my phone I have to turn off wifi so I can see the LTE symbol. 

IslandFred

That's interesting. So how would I be able to tell if it's activated on my phone? Any ideas? I have an iPhone 13 so it is capable. I only have two choices when I check, 3G or LTE. I have LTE selected but I don't see anywhere any indication regarding VoLTE.

I guess I will just see if it works in the US when I head there.

Cheers

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

No notification when they switch you. The only people I've heard who have received notifications is if they have an incompatible device, they'll get a warning text. I was switched and heard nothing. 

@IslandFred wrote:

Is there a way to have VoLTE activated before they do it automatically in the future? I have an upcoming trip to the US and would like to have voice servie.

From a technical standpoint, a carrier could enable a feature manually, but it's always a question of if they will.  However, as it is now, the enabling of VoLTE is being done autoamtically in batches.

IslandFred

Thanks for that info.

Is there a way to have VoLTE activated before they do it automatically in the future? I have an upcoming trip to the US and would like to have voice servie.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@IslandFred 

i don't think they will notify you your account is enbled with VoLTE, you just have to keep checking

Make sure you enable VoLTE on your device (should be in the Connection or Data page on your phone)

then when you make calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are there

Also, you can confirm by checking the IMS registration, see if it is "registered".  You can likely find it under About -> Status -> Sim card status on your phone

@IslandFred wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.