cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very few cities available for "Change phone number"

TP626
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There is a very restricted (and rather odd) list of choices for the "City" when one is changing the phone number. I live in Uxbridge, ON, which uses basically two different exchanges in the 905 area code. My son just got a new phone and wanted to select one of those two exchanges for his phone number so that his friends would recognize it as "Uxbridge". However, Uxbridge wasn't even a choice. In checking the list of possible choices, I find that there are only 74 for all of Ontario. As somebody else pointed out, Mississauga, isn't there but Engleheart (population about 1700) is!

I'll swear that Uxbridge USED to be a choice but now my closest choices are "Newmarket" (which is actually long distance from here) or "Port Perry".

Why are there so few choices for all of Ontario? Is there a way to "petition" to get new cities added?

3 REPLIES 3

@softech wrote:

@TP626 

Lots of choices, but Telus ONLY  owns  the exchange  (364) 444. So, there obviously not many choices and likely all given out already. (the rest of those exchanges are owned by other carriers.  Even Rogers and Bells do not have too many, but Rogers + Fido seems to own a bit more.  The rest are owned  by others smaller carriers)  

I'm uncertain that Public Mobile can use exchanges assigned to Telus Integrated Communications as in the case of (365) 444-xxxx. These could very well be numbers assigned to a different part of Telus Communications.  From what I've seen, phone numbers that can be used by Pubilc Mobile are assigned to Teus Mobility.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@TP626 

FYI, the city choices are by where the rate centres are , not actually by the city boundary.  

Also, the choice provided are based on the rate centres that Telus has its network on, of course also depends if numbers are available. 

You know why Uxbridge is not a choice there?  Uxbridge has the following exchanges

(289)-   394,  564, 581 , 595,640,852,

(365)-   245, 444, 526,533,587

(905)-   852, 862,904

Lots of choices, but Telus ONLY  owns  the exchange  (364) 444. So, there obviously not many choices and likely all given out already. (the rest of those exchanges are owned by other carriers.  Even Rogers and Bells do not have too many, but Rogers + Fido seems to own a bit more.  The rest are owned  by others smaller carriers)  

Mississauga is a big city, so big that it is broken down in the 5 different local "rate centres"

Clarkson, Cooksville, Malton, Port Credit, Streetsville

Mississauga has five rate centers, left over from individual villages pre-dating its 1974 incorporation, with a different local calling area for each. Some are local to Oakville, some are not.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_center

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@TP626 - the numbers keep refreshing when you go into and out of the choice of numbers. So you are not seeing numbers you would like with any surrounding cities you are choosing?

Try keep refreshing and see if that helps.

A petition, well you could ask a CSA agent and see what they say. 

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Need Help? Let's chat.