cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Old CDMA Phones

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I used to visit the US frequently between 2018-2019, and had bought a budget phone & package in the US to serve me while there. The phone was a Samsung G360P, a CDMA phone, that served me well.

Regrettably, that company which offered that phone & service has switched over to GSM, hence the phone can no longer be used on that network. Also, per my knowledge, nor do any other providers in North America use CDMA any more.

Question. Can anyone suggest any use that this phone can be put to?

PS. I had bought the phone new, and since it is still in a 9/10 condition, I thought getting views before throwing it away.

9 REPLIES 9

sa7375

I went through their IEMI check for compatibility, which my phone, being a CDMA, doesn't have.  I, therefore, inserted MEID (CDMA) but I got a response (photo below) that my phone is not supported. 

Yes, I could use it as a VoIP phone with any VoIP provider, like voip.ms etc, but that's not worth it, since I can use my current GSM phone for that, if I needed to. Thank you, @BeachNBeer, nonetheless, for your advice.

May I take this opportunity to thank the community members who took the time to offer their advice and help, namely. @computergeek541  @darlicious  @Yummy @softech ❤️ 

IMEI Check-2.jpg

PS. This phone has no use for me, and I'll be happy to offer it to anyone for free with a pickup in Brampton, ON. The phone is running Android 4.4, comes with its original box, and in almost 9/10 condition, possibly better. Please write me a private message, if interested. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

Well there's a bit of trivia I can squirrel away to the back of my brain for a rainy day of pm trivial pursuit.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious wrote:

@sa7375 

It would have worked on the pre-telus public mobile network....you can probably donate it.

This phone would have never worked on Public Mobile's old CDMA network. CDMA is only a network technology type.  Very few CDMA devices were ever compatible with Public Mobile's old CDMA network due to the freuency range used and network implementation.  

Even if the phone was compatible based on the network, it sitll would not have worked on the old CDMA network.  The mentioend phone is from a U.S. carrier.  Canadian carriers had strict policies of forbidding the use of any CDMA device from a different carrier. They refused to allowed custuomers to attach the devices to their CDMA network accounts. 

sa7375

Unbelievable, @BeachNBeer, that this app can add so much functionality. I'll certainly give it a try this evening and post my experience here. ❤️

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sa7375 

It would have worked on the pre-telus public mobile network....you can probably donate it.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately your phone is too old 😞

If you do not want to use it with any voip apps to call/SMS trough WiFi I see no reason to keep it. Just one additional piece of clutter at home.

It served you well. You can post it for sale on Kijiji for few bucks, maybe somebody will like to have it since it is well preserved.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sa7375   Samsung G360P is a Samsung Core Prime, CDMA version

However, from my research , it does have LTE 800/1900/2500  so, it could be used as LTE only for Data on networks that supported it, but not voice as it only works only on 3G

(another source said these are the LTE bands: LTE1900 (b25), LTE850(B26), TD-LTE2500(B41) )

I understand you got it around 2018, but the phone was actually released late 2014 phones, 7+ years , I believe the latest Android version could be just 5.0, it might not be very useful other than very casual browsing  on Wifi or use for playing older games.  It does have a FM chip, so, you can use it to listen to FM or use it to stream music or video

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sa7375  Download TEXTNOW APP. You'll have basically a full working phone as  long as you're connected to WiFi.  You get a Canadian number in your area, can make free calls/text to USA/CA #s. Has caller id and also voicemail when not connected to internet.

Need Help? Let's chat.