cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage History shows "Outgoing Calls" & "Outgoing Texts" but I never sent them/any. What's going on?

df678
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just signed up with Public Mobile last month (March).  This is the first time I've had a cell phone plan.  I have the $15.00 plan and have the billing automatically to my credit card.

I only intend to use this plan for internet banking as every place now requires a "code to your phone" before you can log into your bank account now.

After registering the phone number I have only used it once and that was when I logged into my bank account and have them send me a text and it worked.

Yesterday I decided to log into my Public Mobile account to see what my usage was and was SHOCKED to see so much activity but I NEVER DID ANY OF IT!  In fact I have not even turned on the phone since that one day last month to log into banking.

It shows I've made several calls to one number ranging from 3 to 34 minutes, five "out going" texts to a "same number" which I did NOT MAKE and 2 times data was used (3.6 MB & 61.81 MB same time) which I did not do.

I don't understand how this can happen when I only used the phone ONCE then shut it off and it has been sitting in the box at home EVER SINCE!  What is going on and how can I stop/fix whatever this problem is?

The phone I"m using is the Alcatel phone that Public Mobile offers on it's website that I purchased from them before signing up with Public Mobile.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@df678 

The calls you are seeing are to voicemail. With your phone off any incoming calling automatically gets forwarded to your local voicemail phone number. As mentioned those are seconds not minutes.

Texts to 7723 can have a couple sources. For the bf it's when he uses messenger. But it can be in your messages or phone app. Likely your phone app....go into its settings and disable the "SMS" option. See this thread for reference....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Reoccurring-Automatic-Outgoing-Text-Messa...

Do you bank with Scotiabank? That's their shortcode. (Edit: 267767)

Your phone will use tiny amounts of data whenever it's powered on. The initial chunk of data will be when you activated and inserted the Sim card as the OS sets up your Sim card and syncs things etc....that's a perfectly normal amount of data to have been used when activating and setting up a phone. I suggest you go thru your apps and turn off background data. Set your data tracking to your 30 day cycle dates and set up your data warning and limiter so you know when higher than normal data is being used and limited. I set mine to 100mb/warning and 150mb/limiter so that it leaves 100mb to spare before I reach my montnly plan data amount. Then I reset as needed and if I want to use my add on data.

df678

Yes they are listed as "00:34 min", "00:03 min" & "00:30 min".

You are probably right they are "seconds".  I assumed they were "minutes" because it said "min" after the time listed.

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The calls are probably 30 and 34 seconds long, not minutes, listed as 00:30?

df678

Thanks for the quick reply to my questions.

All the "outgoing calls" (4 in total) show this number: 1-778-580-4001. 

It's a number I don't know and don't know who would leave a 30 and 34 min voice mail.  I have not told anyone that I have a cell phone so I don't know who would be calling me.

As for the texts, the 5 "outgoing texts" show the number "7723" and sent with 4 min of each other.  The last text was an "incoming text" that shows the number 267767 which was sent the same time as the last "outgoing text".

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The important numbers are the ones on the first page. Click the little spinner refresh icon below them to update them. How many minutes of your 100 minutes are used? How much data of your 250MB is used?

There was recently a bug in the system for the $15 plan where those calls that would drop to voicemail would use minutes. They aren't supposed to. I think it's fixed now. But you may have used some minutes that way. Ask support to "reimburse" you those minutes.

As for data, when you turn the phone on and you have data on then the phone will use some data to do its syncing and such. Turn off data. Turn off wifi assist or whatever it's called. Turn off app background data use.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@df678 

please note that voicemail calls will be shown there.  If you see numbers end with 4001, those are voicemail calls.  People called you got routed there, or when you check VM, they will all show on your usage history 

For text, what numbers were those?  Both Google and Apple wil need to send text behid the scene to register their apps.  Tell is what numbers it texted to and we can confirm

Need Help? Let's chat.