cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us roaming talk and text purchased but my texts aren’t delivered to friends in Canada unless on wifi

Anter
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can you help me figure out why my texts aren’t reaching Canada from Florida except when I’m on wifi? I sent sms message and it didn’t work. My husband got a text I sent him as a test but he is with me in Florida but my family didn’t the text I sent them. 

Aso, Am I supposed to keep cellular data on? I am worried it will use data and I only purchased US talk and text. 
Does US talk and text cover sending photos via text?

thanks for your help

10 REPLIES 10

self assigned solution removed

Anter

Thank you. With your help I finally figured out receiving texts while in the US. 

@Anter wrote:

Thanks

I will try that as soon as I am off wifi. But what about my inability to receive messages when not on wifi. I thought us roaming talk and text allowed me to send and receive texts and phone calls from us and Canada while in the US. 

Thank you

@Anter because you are using iPhone's iMessage.  iMessage is not true SMS, it's something that needs data, like Whatsapp message.  Your friends are sending you iMessage and hence you need data or wifi to receive

you can either ask your friend to send as Text (true SMS) or you can buy roaming Data 

Anter

Thanks

I will try that as soon as I am off wifi. But what about my inability to receive messages when not on wifi. I thought us roaming talk and text allowed me to send and receive texts and phone calls from us and Canada while in the US. 

Thank you

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Anter wrote:

Can you help me figure out why my texts aren’t reaching Canada from Florida except when I’m on wifi? I sent sms message and it didn’t work.

@Anter you were not sending traditional SMS.  You were sending iMessage (or RCS).  Since you have no roaming data, the message won't sent until you have Wifi

Try this:

Go to Settings > Messages.
Toggle Send as SMS switch to off.
When iMessage is unavailable, individual messages will not send. Tap and hold these individual messages until you get an option menu.
Tap Send as Text Message.

Anter

Hi again, 

I am still having unresolved issues. The phone service seems to be working but I realized I am only receiving texts when I am on wifi. What is needed to correct that I am not receiving texts as indicated by the  US roaming plan I purchased? SMS button is on and so is roaming. 

thanks for your help

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Anter 

edit, NVM previous...

iMessage or Chat features both need wifi or data to send/receive messages.

If you are android, do you have Chat Features enabled on your device ? If so turn it off.

Disable your Chat Features: 

1. Open Messages
  2. Tap More options > Settings > Chat features
  3. Turn Enable chat features off

Otherwise, if iMessage is being used, see @dust2dust's post.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anter 

Are you using an iPhone? You must have Roaming enabled even if you don't have a US Roaming data add on.  However you will not be able to send and recieve MMS without a US roaming data add on. Where are you in Florida? Have your voice services been working?

Edit:

There are no overages or extra billing at pm so you don't have to worry about using a service as it will either work meaning it's included or it won't work meaning it's either a feature pm doesn't offer or one you have to prepay for in order to use it....ie. Mobile data.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

This is imessage wanting to use the internet. You won't use any data as you didn't buy data. You will need to set imessage to send as sms. Possibly even turn off imessage while in the states. Or use the internet somehow.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Anter  You have to be connect to T mobile 

Need Help? Let's chat.