cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upselling new data plans...

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Got a text yesterday from public, they think I might like to pay $15 more for more data when I don't often use the full 2gb I currently have access to, and "30x faster" (huh). 

They might want to consider plans with smaller data amounts and more affordable before trying to upsell - just saying. Offer me the same amount at a higher speed for the same price, now that's worth the promotion lol. But that's not gonna happen until 3g dies and they're forced, I wasn't born yesterday

Just had to vent a little. I get upselling but at least make it make sense for the user, you know? 

8 REPLIES 8

Pawprints1986

It doesn't have an expanded offering. The smallest available is 4 gigs. I pay $30 per month for 2 gigs but if I was going to choose from available plans now I'd be picking the $25 for 1gb. There is nothing in the 4g for smaller offerings. That's what I was getting at. 

And with koodo you just pick the smallest tab. It might start at 50 for data but that's what I was saying, if I'm gonna pay over 45 before tax, may as well go koodo 🤷

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

@will13am I never said it was evil lol, just a little ill informed I guess. People are here for the smaller price points. If I'm gonna start paying $45+ before tax I'd switch to koodo and get a brand new device out of the deal, and available international roaming without needing to buy a local Sim or rely on WiFi

Why is it ill informed?  I assume that the marketing department has done their homework and decided that this service could use an expanded offering to attract more customers.  Existing customers still have access to their favorite plans.  It is all good.  BTW, if you can get a free phone with plan for $45 a month with Koodo, show me how.  I would be in for a couple.  International roaming is $15/day.  Unless the home number is needed, we would all be shopping for a local SIM.  

Pawprints1986

@will13am I never said it was evil lol, just a little ill informed I guess. People are here for the smaller price points. If I'm gonna start paying $45+ before tax I'd switch to koodo and get a brand new device out of the deal, and available international roaming without needing to buy a local Sim or rely on WiFi

lol true story and some of their decisions will ensure that continues to be the case.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

It is like a TimeShare, new customers are not coming, so they hit up their existing customers. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

This is all marketing their purpose is to try to persuade you to buy, buy, buy even if you do not need what they offer.

I would love if PM could offer 'build your plan' so you pick what you need/want and pay accordingly.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Got a text yesterday from public, they think I might like to pay $15 more for more data when I don't often use the full 2gb I currently have access to, and "30x faster" (huh). 

They might want to consider plans with smaller data amounts and more affordable before trying to upsell - just saying. Offer me the same amount at a higher speed for the same price, now that's worth the promotion lol. But that's not gonna happen until 3g dies and they're forced, I wasn't born yesterday

Just had to vent a little. I get upselling but at least make it make sense for the user, you know? 

I agree that Public Mobile's price offerings could be improved upon.  However, I believe that Public Mobile's offerings are already reasonably good.  The higher priced Public Mobile plans get mocked.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The new plans won't be suitable for everyone.  They might be worthwhile for some.  Don't see it as an evil attempt to upsell.

Need Help? Let's chat.