cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited Referral Offers PSA

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

This post isn't meant to scare anyone from not using referrals but I just want to make people aware what happens when you use a referral.

So I have had a few members reach out to me about how they received unsolicited referral offers and if they would get their rewards or not.  First off I think unsolicited referral offers not an appropriate message to send (my opinion) I have sent my number to people through a private message when they are looking for one just so you all know I have done that.

So when you use the referral that someone sends you, yes you will get your $10 referral credit within 72 hours but do you know that your number will now show up on your referrers account for as long as you stay with PM?  Not a big deal if you know the person but others do not like giving out their number to strangers and this probably wasn't mentioned to them when the referral was offered.  Again I am not doing this to scare people but recently there has been the issue of people trying to use the Koodo migration offer only to find out that their number was already used and wondering how that happened.  Well there were some people that were mining for Public Mobile numbers and using them, other have used ads via other sites looking for a referral and using that number that way and not saying it has happened hear but that person that sent you the referral offer now has your number and can check to see if it is an active validation code for any future Koodo Migration offer or even sell it for the migration offer.  We must be aware of all this before you use a referral offered and maybe try and converse with the person.

I will use a recent example that shows that not all people offering the referral are really trying to help the new customer.  New customer says they are looking to activate a new account on PM.  A current member send them a private message saying they can get a $10 reward for using their number as a referral, but leaves out the part about how now they will have this new number listed on their account.  This offer is made when a promo is also being offered where the referrer could say hey you know if you activate at a retail location you will get a free sim and a credit of equal value to your plan for your second 30 days and you can still get the $10 referral reward.  Such as this flash promo https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FLASH-SALE-From-September-29-to-30-Get-... so sure the original offer saved the new member $10 bucks but if you were really trying to help this person out why not mention the promo that could save them anywhere from $30-60 depending on their plan they choose.  

Again just beware of accepting unsolicited or even solicited referrals if you don't know the person that they will have your phone number now and that numbers have been used without the owners knowledge to validate Koodo migration offers and a number is only good for a migration offer once

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

45 REPLIES 45

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

How can be safer LOL there are generate codes out there and the ppl sell at BST forums, who don't have PM #

@mimmo wrote:

I have posted in some  threads, with potential new customers,  if you need a referal ask someone in this thread that has helped you,  or something similar. 

i would hate being a potential new customer and get bombarded with "hey use my number for a referal". messages

Great post and great suggestions.  I will be bringing this subject up through our Oracle section looking for potential ways to make this safe for both parties

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have posted in some  threads, with potential new customers,  if you need a referal ask someone in this thread that has helped you,  or something similar. 

i would hate being a potential new customer and get bombarded with "hey use my number for a referal". messages

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

This post isn't meant to scare anyone from not using referrals but I just want to make people aware what happens when you use a referral.

So I have had a few members reach out to me about how they received unsolicited referral offers and if they would get their rewards or not.  First off I think unsolicited referral offers not an appropriate message to send (my opinion) I have sent my number to people through a private message when they are looking for one just so you all know I have done that.

So when you use the referral that someone sends you, yes you will get your $10 referral credit within 72 hours but do you know that your number will now show up on your referrers account for as long as you stay with PM?  Not a big deal if you know the person but others do not like giving out their number to strangers and this probably wasn't mentioned to them when the referral was offered.  Again I am not doing this to scare people but recently there has been the issue of people trying to use the Koodo migration offer only to find out that their number was already used and wondering how that happened.  Well there were some people that were mining for Public Mobile numbers and using them, other have used ads via other sites looking for a referral and using that number that way and not saying it has happened hear but that person that sent you the referral offer now has your number and can check to see if it is an active validation code for any future Koodo Migration offer or even sell it for the migration offer.  We must be aware of all this before you use a referral offered and maybe try and converse with the person.

I will use a recent example that shows that not all people offering the referral are really trying to help the new customer.  New customer says they are looking to activate a new account on PM.  A current member send them a private message saying they can get a $10 reward for using their number as a referral, but leaves out the part about how now they will have this new number listed on their account.  This offer is made when a promo is also being offered where the referrer could say hey you know if you activate at a retail location you will get a free sim and a credit of equal value to your plan for your second 30 days and you can still get the $10 referral reward.  Such as this flash promo https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FLASH-SALE-From-September-29-to-30-Get-... so sure the original offer saved the new member $10 bucks but if you were really trying to help this person out why not mention the promo that could save them anywhere from $30-60 depending on their plan they choose.  

Again just beware of accepting unsolicited or even solicited referrals if you don't know the person that they will have your phone number now and that numbers have been used without the owners knowledge to validate Koodo migration offers and a number is only good for a migration offer once

This works both ways.  Giving out your number comes with risks also.  Bottom line is this, providing a referral these days is not worthwhile.  It takes 30 days just to get a buck.  Given the propensity for migration offers, the chances of getting that buck before the account closes is low. 

@RobertQc wrote:

I wish someone sent me one when I first signed up, I didn't even know it existed. I missed out on a bonus credit and the bonus data which was active at the time I signed up... I also feel bad someone is missing out on what could have been their $1 30 / $3 90 day

Robert, I could provide you with a referral now if you'd like that. 

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I read a similar warning in a reddit forum, and the poor person whose number was used for the Koodo migration offer was no longer eligible for any other offers. This is a good PSA for all of us on PM.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicMobile/comments/97db0w/be_careful_with_giving_out_your_pm_number_as_a...

@RobertQc wrote:

@szymon247 wrote:

Another major point for PM to switch to referral codes instead of numbers.

Same with the koodo offer, using a phone number to "check eligibility" is silly because anyone who has PM can log into self serve, click change number and see what prefix / numbers public mobile has, then go to the koodo offer check and just keep adding a 1 untill they find one. It may take a couple minutes of work but its easy to do.

Even if they don't have PM or want to spend $10 to get a 30 day plan to use the number change to get the exact pre-fix they can go to http://www.cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA905.htm or any other NPAXXX local area code, and choose one of from TELUS mobility ones and enter a random 4 digit to see if it works since the public mobile does not have its own listing and is listed under TELUS... it will take a bit of work but its easy to do.

The people who say their "phone number was stolen" could have been randomly generated and not necessarily hand picked against the owner.

For every 3 digit prefix there is 10,000 possible 4 digit combinations.  Not sure how easy typing in 10,000 combinations is

@szymon247 wrote:

Same with the koodo offer, using a phone number to "check eligibility" is silly because anyone who has PM can log into self serve, click change number and see what prefix / numbers public mobile has, then go to the koodo offer check and just keep adding a 1 untill they find one. It may take a couple minutes of work but its easy to do.

Even if they don't have PM or want to spend $10 to get a 30 day plan to use the number change to get the exact pre-fix they can go to http://www.cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA905.htm or any other NPAXXX local area code, and choose one of from TELUS mobility ones and enter a random 4 digit to see if it works since the public mobile does not have its own listing and is listed under TELUS... it will take a bit of work but its easy to do.

The people who say their "phone number was stolen" could have been randomly generated and not necessarily hand picked against the owner.

@RobertQc wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

So I don't think its fair to be so quick to judge someone that of course wanted the $1, but may have also tried to be as helpful as possible.

Yes but that $1 reward is for going and  actually finding people to come to PM not send out unsolicited PM's to vairous users hoping to get the referral reward

Agreed! Hopefully they are doing both 🙂

No not doing both.  Why should PM reward someone for using their forum to solicit other members for referrals.  It is designed to reward people for bringing additional people to PM

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

So I don't think its fair to be so quick to judge someone that of course wanted the $1, but may have also tried to be as helpful as possible.

Yes but that $1 reward is for going and  actually finding people to come to PM not send out unsolicited PM's to vairous users hoping to get the referral reward

Agreed! Hopefully they are doing both 🙂

@RobertQc wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote

@RobertQc wrote:

I wish someone sent me one when I first signed up, I didn't even know it existed. I missed out on a bonus credit and the bonus data which was active at the time I signed up... I also feel bad someone is missing out on what could have been their $1 30 / $3 90 day

Yes but they would have had to have mentioned it to you as well for you to know about it.  In the example I used the person soliciting for the referral didn't mention anything about current promos.  So I think they are more in it for their $1 a month than actually trying to help the new member.

Considering that this is a "flash" sale that was posted last night, its more than likely they did not know it existed. They get the $1 regardless of how the other customer signs up there would be no reason not to try to get that person the best deal if they want the referral they would probably do everything in their power to be helpful with the hope they would actually use them as a referral

Also...

@ShawnC13 wrote:but leaves out the part about how now they will have this new number listed on their account.

Many people don't know about this. I actually just found out about this recently and see other posts of other people not knowing about it. Even when you tell someone about they say "what where, I can't find it"

@popping wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Lisa_Z.  In your self serve portal, under rewards, do you still see your sister's phone number listed?  ...

@Anonymous

I must be blind.  I cannot find my list of referee phone number.  

@RobertQc wrote:

Yes but they would have had to have mentioned it to you as well for you to know about it.  In the example I used the person soliciting for the referral didn't mention anything about current promos.  So I think they are more in it for their $1 a month than actually trying to help the new member.

szymon247
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Need Help? Let's chat.